Michael Vick indicted

Licensed hunting is essential to helping curb wild animal over-population. It actually serves a purpose. This has nothing to do with whether one chooses to eat meat or not, but hunting serves a utile function.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Licensed hunting is essential to helping curb wild animal over-population. It actually serves a purpose. This has nothing to do with whether one chooses to eat meat or not, but hunting serves a utile function.

except human hunters rarely ever try to shoot the old/young, weak, sick or injured like natural predators. what they do is cull the biggest, most robust specimens artificially, leading to the herd repopulating these losses and contributing to overpopulation of the herd, requiring more human hunting. a herd of deer (as an example) will only create as many offspring as the habitat can support. it might be cruel to allow deer to starve to death, but it really is the only long-term way to manage their numbers.

as far as mike vick, there's no slur strong enough for this "person", nor is there a punishment severe enough for the suffering he (allegedly, but more than likely) caused. perhaps i'm oversensitive because i work with children who idolize inappropriate role models (like vick) AND both of my dogs are rescues that were bred for human entertainment (racing greyhounds). if there is a cosmic justice, he'd be forced to fight barehanded against the dogs he abused.

I live in the Hampton Roads area and sources here tell me that what was discovered and the way those dogs were killed was twisted and sick. He's here often enough that any claim that he did not visit the property is fantastic. He's not just a thug, he's a sociopath.

There's also a difference between shooting an animal dead and making it fight, which leads to a much longer, more drawn out death.

I don't like hunting at all, but I still can see a difference between immediate death and a slow, drawn out, torturous one.

I agree with you for sure, but i also wouldn't be to pleased with a bullet in the head from some Halliburton exec. As someone who owns a dog and gets paid to walk other peoples dogs, I am disgusted by all of this and hope this guy is put wherever he belongs very soon.

thanks for posting the 19 page indictment. after reading it, i would be surprised if the falcons let vick take a single snap.

I truly hope they don't. Anodyne, you mentioned earlier having some rescue greyhounds. Ex-racing right? I was told by a breeder friend of mine that those dogs can be kind of problematic...if the previous owner kept them high on drugs to improve performance their brains can get kind of burned up & they can be dangerous around people (little kids especially).

Just wondering about your experience here.

both of my dogs are rescues that were bred for human entertainment (racing greyhounds).

So now I gotta adopt 3 greyhounds to impress Neko??? Grrrrrr!!!!

neko_dog1_thumb.jpg

(Hey, good job! :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup. Didn't proceeds from the auction of Neko's undies go to a greyhound rescue deal?)

yeah, my dogs are ex-racers. doping dogs is illegal (like doping racehorses), so it would be incredibly unlikely that a registered greyhound would be a doped dog. the ONLY issues i have seen are some dogs have a higher prey drive and might go after the family cat or toy breed dogs.

i can't recommend strongly enough anyone looking for a super-sweet, kinda lazy dog to look into a greyhound. half of them are euthanized every year with the other half finding homes. think about it, check out this book (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780764552762&itm=1) and get in touch with either myself or your local greyhound rescue. they really are great dogs and are super social. they've been bred for close to 8,000 years to remove aggression, increase eyesight and speed and to be friendly.

another thing, greys are crate trained, so housebreaking is not an issue. you get adult dogs, not puppies, so they're not bouncing off the walls and they enjoy being couch potatoes most of the time. here's a couple pics of my buddies (the dude and vesper).

DSCN0932.jpg

DSCN0929.jpg

DSCN0951.jpg

yeah, my dogs are ex-racers. doping dogs is illegal (like doping racehorses), so it would be incredibly unlikely that a registered greyhound would be a doped dog. the ONLY issues i have seen are some dogs have a higher prey drive and might go after the family cat or toy breed dogs.

i can't recommend strongly enough anyone looking for a super-sweet, kinda lazy dog to look into a greyhound. half of them are euthanized every year with the other half finding homes. think about it, check out this book (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780764552762&itm=1) and get in touch with either myself or your local greyhound rescue. they really are great dogs and are super social. they've been bred for close to 8,000 years to remove aggression, increase eyesight and speed and to be friendly.

another thing, greys are crate trained, so housebreaking is not an issue. you get adult dogs, not puppies, so they're not bouncing off the walls and they enjoy being couch potatoes most of the time. here's a couple pics of my buddies (the dude and vesper).

DSCN0932.jpg

DSCN0929.jpg

DSCN0951.jpg

Aww. :wub Thanks for the response & the pics.

(Hey, good job! :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup. Didn't proceeds from the auction of Neko's undies go to a greyhound rescue deal?)

yeah, 10% of the final price went to a maryland greyhound adoption and rescue outfit. that was a really nice gesture on the part of the seller/photographer.

I almost got into a fight with a goat at my sister's house. He wanted to start some shit, and I had been drinking, but they broke it up.

I sorta figured they might be coming out with a swoosh muzzle or something. (note to Tweedy: if you wanna keep that sweet VW moola comin', watch it!)

Nike Postpones Vick's Latest Shoe After Indictment (Update1)

By Aaron Kuriloff

July 19 (Bloomberg) -- Nike Inc. suspended the introduction of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick's latest shoe two days after a federal grand jury indicted him for allegedly conspiring to run a dog-fighting operation from a home he owned in Virginia.

Nike, the world's largest athletic-shoe maker, is concerned about the ``highly disturbing allegations'' and decided to postpone the release of Vick's shoe, spokesman Dean Stoyer said today. The shoe would be the National Football League player's fifth for the company.

``We do believe that Michael Vick should be afforded the same due process as any citizen; therefore we have not terminated our relationship,'' Stoyer said in a statement. ``We have, however, made the decision to suspend the release of the Zoom Vick V and related marketing communications.''

Falcons owner Arthur Blank, who was on vacation when a grand jury indicted Vick and three other men July 17, said the team needed to consider ``a wide range of interests and legal issues'' before deciding how to respond to the situation, ``including our need to respect the due process that Michael is entitled to.''

``Also, this situation affects everyone -- our club, our players and associates, our sponsors, our fans and the Atlanta community among them -- so we must consider all our customers in making any decisions,'' Blank said in a statement.

Arraignment Next Week

Beaverton, Oregon-based Nike will also continue to monitor Vick's legal situation, Stoyer said. Vick is scheduled for arraignment next week.

Vick has worked with Nike throughout his six NFL seasons. The company based several advertisements around him, one which was dubbed ``The Michael Vick Experience.''

Nike suspended its relationship with Olympic- and world- champion sprinter Justin Gatlin last summer after he was banned from track for eight years for testing positive for excessive levels of testosterone.

Wayne Pacelle, president of the Humane Society of the United States, in June sent a letter to Nike asking the company to disassociate itself from Vick. Pacelle said that the group was asking Vick's sponsors to drop him and called for his suspension from the NFL.

`Dark Cloud'

``This goes beyond the pale,'' Pacelle said in an interview. ``I don't see how this guy can suit up with this dark cloud hanging over him.''

Russell Simmons, chairman of Rush Communications and co- founder of Def Jam Recordings, joined Pacelle, the Rev. Al Sharpton, and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals President Ingrid Newkirk in signing a letter July 18 to the league and Vick's sponsors calling dog fighting ``an atrocity.''

``We will evaluate and monitor the prosecutors and judges responsible for protecting the innocent and helpless,'' said a copy of the letter posted on PETA's web site.

AirTran Airways, which has a hub in Atlanta, said in May that it wouldn't renew its sponsorship agreement with Vick, who appeared in billboards and radio advertisements. Vick's publicist blamed AirTran after the quarterback failed to arrive to speak before Congress the previous month.

Another company shown as a sponsor on Vick's web site, Coca-Cola Co.'s Powerade, ended dealings with Vick three years ago when it changed its marketing strategy, spokeswoman Susan Stribling said.

A good friend of mine from college's mom adopted several of those (they have a ridiculous spread up in Indian Hills Ohio) and I thought they were very sweet dogs that appreciated the slightest amount of attention. Great pics (like the guitar in there)

Well, in the places where Nikes are made, dogfighting is considered fairly tame stuff. When you're making $1.95 a day, animal rights is a low priority.

:lol

Also, just found this on the "web":

"Nike has announced that they will wait until the court of public opinion decides how they would like Nike to proceed. If Nike determines that the can make a large profit from releasing the Vick Zoomy Zoom shoe at a 90% gross margin (or better), they will release said shoe in quick fashion"

According to what I have heard and read, the fact that there is even a federal indictment at all shows that there is a high level of confidence that the evidence is strong and that the case will be won. And remember, these are not local prosecuting jamokes that are elected, rather these are appointed prosecutors recruited from top tier law schools. I also heard that the state of VA is considering filing charges.

Vick will likely assemble a dream team, then eventually plead out, but it is my hope that does some time and never plays again. Almost more importantly, he would not be allowed to further profit from this.