That part makes me cry every damn time.

I think ALTWYS is easily the most cathartic wilco song/solo ever. I remember when they did it in Nashville (i'd gone thru a bunch of family strife in the weeks leading up to the show), and that solo kicked in and i lost it comepletely.

I am in total agreement with you. I was speaking of Sky Blue Sky's solos, but ALTWYS is easily my all time all time of all time. I have to admit that I prepare myself prior to a listening.

Impossible Germany.......especially the version on DVD.

I agree. I am always very singing/lyrics-focused in my music appreciation -- for instance, it took me until today to click on this thread title because I am not very interested in guitar solos as a topic of discussion -- but when I saw the DVD version of "Impossible Germany," I almost wept because the solo was so beautiful.

That reminds me, I gotta watch that DVD again soon. I haven't watched it since the day my CD came in the mail.

the end of ashes is better without nels

as much as i like nels

I've got to disagree there. This is one of my favorite Wilco tunes, and as much as I love the studio version, I think Nels's solo at the end is a big improvement.

I really love the way that first small solo breaks open You Are My Face. I think that's my favorite moment of SBS.

Yeah the reason I love AM is that it has the best consistant guitar solos of any wilco album. Ou of all their catalog I like the solo in forget the flowers the best. I always think that no wilco solo could top that. Say what you will about jay but that is some damn good guitar playing.

more like awesome guitar noise as opposed to annoy jazzy solo

Apparantly, you have not listen to some weird jazz.

But I'll choose three solos from the last three records; however, out of any disc I enjoy all of them.

SBS- Side With The Seeds

Kicking Televison- Handshake Drugs

AGIB- Spiders/Kidsmoke

(It blew my mind because at the time I was only unknowingly limiting to myself to the normal blues guitar solo that has become very cliche a la Eric Clapton. But when I first heard what Tweedy was doing, it was like a whole new world had open up to me.)

Sorry to spam as i did post it someplace else, but given that the clip is of a fantistic solo done live, I figure it's relvant here as well:

Enjoy...

Thank you. It literally gave me chills.

Long time lurker, first post. Hi guys :)

AM: Box Full of Letters

Being There: The coda at the end of "I got you (at the end of the century)"

Summerteeth: Violin solo during "She's a Jar." It's really simple, but it really moves me.

YHF: Reservations, the version during "IATTBYH" doucmentary, the cello solo. So beautiful. Does a full version of that exist?

AGIB: hard choice between ALTWYS and Muzzle of Bees, but if I had to choose, I'd pick the former.

Kicking Television: Hell is Chrome

Sky Blue Sky: Tough choice between Walken and You are my face...I can't decide.