Janice Erlbaum's Have You Seen Her, which I'm totally in love with. It shouldn't be out until February, but I scored a copy via LibraryThing's early reviewers program (sort of like Amazon's Vine, or whatever it's called).

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finished "Animal Vegetable Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver last night. Tonight, I start "Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression" by Mildred Armstrong Kalish. I'm hoping the rest of the book is written more gracefully than the title.

cormac-770484.jpg

ok, I jumped on the bandwagon. After seeing No Country For Old Men I wanted to read some of his stuff. I also picked up No Country..., but am starting with this.

I don't read much fiction, but this is a treat.....though the style of the prose takes some getting used to. It's kind of like reading Shakespeare, in that when you start reading it, it is feels disjointed and awkward. But, once you get into the flow, it feels organic.

Clapton - The Autobiography. I knew about the heroin years, but I didn't know of the extent of the alcoholism problem. Wow.

Guest Speed Racer
That sounds fascinating!

Somewhat kind of along the same lines is Man Is Wolf to Man: Surviving the Gulag by Janusz Bardach and Kathleen Gleeson, which I'm about 1/3 through.

Excellent! Sorry for the late reply, but the book was quite good. A bit more on affairs outside of the East than I was thinking there would be, but I still enjoyed it.

Now reading:

This Is Your Brain on Music, David Levitan (2006)

and

The Varieties of Religious Experience, William James (orig. 1902) - 2 lectures (20 in the book) per 100 pages of other reading - James is a bit dense at times. :lol

gersoncoverlrg.jpg

Heroic Conservatism: Why Republicans Need to Embrace America's Ideals (And Why They Deserve to Fail If They Don't), by Michael Gerson

Gerson is a former speechwriter for and advisor to GWB, and he essentially argues for the principles of "compassionate conservatism," a philosophy that, in his view, has been abandoned by a Republican party uninterested in social justice and humanitarian concerns. Most of my political reading comes from the left, but it's always wise to be familiar with what the "other side" is saying. So far, it's an interesting read and I agree with about half of Gerson's claims--but it's not a stretch to accuse the GOP of lacking compassion and decency.

Guest Speed Racer
Finally, finally, finally finishing the William James bio.

It seems that all things William James have a 'finally, finally, finallly' attached to their finale. :lol Congrats - worth the read?

It seems that all things William James have a 'finally, finally, finallly' attached to their finale. :lol Congrats - worth the read?

Very good. Dense in spots, but not unrelentingly so. A man of seemingly unlimited energy, both mental and physical, and boundless curiosity.

Laura, I didn't realize that you followed through on your promise to start a book blog until I saw your sig. :thumbup

41taGzp2nwL._AA240_.jpg

Before I became a mother, this book would have terrified me. Now, it's validating and comforting.