• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Raising the Spirited Child". It seemed like a more positive option than the book next to it: "Taming Your Spirited Child". :hmm

Or Spanking Your Spirited Child?

I'm almost done with The Things They Carried, Tim O'Brien. Very well written.

I also started a book (How To Rig an Election) about a guy (auto-biographical) who my friend went to college with that spent time in federal prison for screwing up phone polls for Republican nominee elections.

Not reading anything now, I have to focus on rewriting - I signed up for a weekend workshop in May that includes a 20-minute one-on-one with an agent, who will have read my 20-page novel excerpt in advance. Can't wait to get raked over the coals.

Not reading anything now, I have to focus on rewriting - I signed up for a weekend workshop in May that includes a 20-minute one-on-one with an agent, who will have read my 20-page novel excerpt in advance. Can't wait to get raked over the coals.

That's great. I didn't know you wrote. Best of luck. If anything, you'll get some useful feedback, eh?

That's great. I didn't know you wrote. Best of luck. If anything, you'll get some useful feedback, eh?

Thanks - yeah, there's a daylong run of workshops I signed up for, too, with panels. One focuses on character arc, one on networking, etc. Should be good - I've taken workshop classes a few times at this place, and they're the real deal.

"Raising the Spirited Child". It seemed like a more positive option than the book next to it: "Taming Your Spirited Child". :hmm

I've just finished reading "Tying Up Your Spirited Child". A wealth of helpful parenting suggestions! :thumbup

Ok, no I haven't. :P

Robyn, that's a terrific book and helped me to view my children less as being headstrong and defiant, at times, and more as having a need for things like transition time between activities. It makes good practical sense, too, if you stop and consider how we, as adults, can build that in for ourselves, whereas children are often expected to just do as we ask, unquestioningly and immediately. It's a kinder approach to them. I got a lot out of that book. :yes

My friends have dubbed the book "Beating Your Spirited Child Into Submission". :pirate

So far I'm getting a lot of the same things from the book that you mentioned, Donna, which is exactly what I've needed. For one thing, I'm seeing a lot of myself as a kid in it and getting some insight into what my parents did right and what they could have done better. If nothing else it's making me more empathetic to what's going through the little hurricane's mind at any given time. ;) I'm too close to the situation, and too much like her, so get the obvious things like that. I need to be hit over the head occasionally. With a book.

Maybe they should right a partner book called "Beating Your Spirited Mother Into Submission". :thumbup Now that I think of it, though, the kid's already got that down-pat!

My friends have dubbed the book "Beating Your Spirited Child Into Submission". :pirate

So far I'm getting a lot of the same things from the book that you mentioned, Donna, which is exactly what I've needed. For one thing, I'm seeing a lot of myself as a kid in it and getting some insight into what my parents did right and what they could have done better. If nothing else it's making me more empathetic to what's going through the little hurricane's mind at any given time. ;) I'm too close to the situation, and too much like her, so get the obvious things like that. I need to be hit over the head occasionally. With a book.

Maybe they should right a partner book called "Beating Your Spirited Mother Into Submission". :thumbup Now that I think of it, though, the kid's already got that down-pat!

I should dip into that book again.....maybe get some assistance with my 17-yr-old son Brennan, who knows absolutely everything. (No, really!!! He does!!! Just ask him!!!)

I think I can feel my hair beginning to thin. :lol

your teenager knows everything? What a coincidence, mine claims to have the same abilities!! :omg

We should get Emily and Brennan together, since they both know everything, and maybe they can solve all the world's problems.....ya know, since they do know everything!! :lol

your teenager knows everything? What a coincidence, mine claims to have the same abilities!! :omg

We should get Emily and Brennan together, since they both know everything, and maybe they can solve all the world's problems.....ya know, since they do know everything!! :lol

Can my 7 year old join them? She's in training for knowing everything as a teen. Then there is my 4 year old, the "high spirited" one, I think I may be joining your reading group if I may, poppydawn/reni/donna!

Pretty cool, Kevin! 25 pages to go? You can do it! :)

For me:

0881792063.jpg

and

41974VBXBML.jpg

I just started reading this series..finally after reading pretty much EVERY other book she's put out..i really hate long series like this one but I thought I'd give it a shot so here I am on number 2

plum_2cover.gif

But I just bought this book..in hardcover which I NEVER do..but I got it with a coupon so I saved $10. I can't wait to read it..I am a huge fan of all her books and even met her last year. I'd recommend them to anyone because they really get you thinking out of your box!

change_of_heart_400.jpg

Can my 7 year old join them? She's in training for knowing everything as a teen. Then there is my 4 year old, the "high spirited" one, I think I may be joining your reading group if I may, poppydawn/reni/donna!

Maybe we should get our 4-year-olds together and see if we can somehow harness their "spiritedness" for our own benefit. :thumbup

I finished Tom Perrotta's "Little Children" last night, which was excellent. And really? Good fiction for a frustrated parent. Well-written, excellent storytelling, and damn, did I relate to the characters.

And now I'm finally dipping into this:

richard-russo-bridge-of-sighs_5248.jpg

Guest Muncle Douchey

finally finished this one...

peace%20like%20a%20rive.jpg

it was fantastic, as discussed earlier. those last few chapters were beautiful. although i was pretty sure i knew exactly where the story was going as soon as Jape Waltzer was introduced. still, nonetheless, an amazing book.

and now i'm on to...

perksofbeing.jpg

which i'm really enjoying so far.

Maybe we should get our 4-year-olds together and see if we can somehow harness their "spiritedness" for our own benefit. :thumbup

That would be a hoot! Maybe we could put on some Wilco and they could dance around and burn off some boundless energy together!

I asked mine (Jaina) the other day if I could take some of her's and bottle it up and she said "nah, it can't come out of me!"

Russo . . . my husband is reading that currently, and if he doesn't hurry up I'm going to snatch it up next! :)