• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Holy coincidence! I was just about to put this up too. Re-reading it again, possibly my favourite book of all time. Now being made into a movie with Leo DiCap and Kate Winslet....I am so very afraid! :cryin

I liked this a lot. I'll have to give Easter Parade a try too.

Reading this again:

theCatcherInTheRye.jpg

I've just finished this beautiful, poignant little book:

51K4CPKPJSL._SS500_.jpg

It's an interesting premise: the "March" referred to by the title is the absent father of "Little Women". As that book described a year in the lives of the four March sisters and their mother, living their lives against the backdrop of the Civil War, and how that changed them, "March" tells their father's harrowing story of that year, as author Geraldine Brooks images it. It's a really interesting device, and Brooks is a terrific writer. The story moves quickly and often unexpectedly, and the horrors and strangenesses of the war are detailed vividly. We get flashes of his wife and daughters back home through his letters to them, in a way that seems to flesh out their characters.

There's none of the treacly-sweet goody-goodiness of "Little Women" (but oh how I loved that book as a girl!) since this is a book aimed at an adult readership, and dealing with the gritty underbelly of the war and slave ownership.

I hadn't known that Little Women was based on the real-life Alcott family. (Louisa is Jo, her sisters are the other March girls.) Notables of the era who were actual friends of Mr. Alcott (Louisa May's father) float through the book, playing their parts in the saga....Emerson, Thoreau.

Recommended! :thumbup I was so absorbed in it that I read it in about 2 evenings.

61oEH3bFDIL._SS500_.jpg

A perfect blend of biography and collected works of (arguably) the most influential artist in the comic book genre.

this look pretty neat! I've always wanted to learn more about Jack Kirby. I just finished reading the New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke whose character design was heavily influenced by Kirby.

The movie is awfully faithful to the book.

It helps that McCarthy's writing style is often more like a screenplay than a novel.

Hmm ok. Well I was thinking of reading the book even though I've already seen the movie but now I don't know.

Just purchased and about to start:

516YNAGZG1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

I once inquired about a job in a recording studio and the owner didn't have a job for me but suggested I read "All You Need is Ears." I did and it was an enjoyable read.

I really want to read the Geoff Emerick book on the Beatles recordings. I hear it's the nuts and bolts of the Abbey Road sessions. Good music nerd stuff.

I once inquired about a job in a recording studio and the owner didn't have a job for me but suggested I read "All You Need is Ears." I did and it was an enjoyable read.

I really want to read the Geoff Emerick book on the Beatles recordings. I hear it's the nuts and bolts of the Abbey Road sessions. Good music nerd stuff.

This one?

It's mostly him complaining about stuff.

The Mark Lewisohn book is the one that you want. (Although I have yet to read the Geoff Emerick one, actually). But that Lewisohn book is amazing.

This one:

51QC58GKFRL._AA240_.jpg

The Mark Lewisohn book is the one that you want. (Although I have yet to read the Geoff Emerick one, actually). But that Lewisohn book is amazing.

This one:

51QC58GKFRL._AA240_.jpg

As you may recall from the Rock Books Thread - it is not like that anymore -

now, it is this: The Complete Beatles Chronicle

I was looking at the one you mentioned above the other day - and realized another difference - there are many photos in the original edition that are not in the new version.

This one:

51QC58GKFRL._AA240_.jpg

I have the hardcover version of that book from years ago:

5caa923f8da0fffb5d7d9010._AA240_.L.jpg

One of my favorites.

I've just finished this beautiful, poignant little book:

51K4CPKPJSL._SS500_.jpg

It's an interesting premise: the "March" referred to by the title is the absent father of "Little Women". As that book described a year in the lives of the four March sisters and their mother, living their lives against the backdrop of the Civil War, and how that changed them, "March" tells their father's harrowing story of that year, as author Geraldine Brooks images it. It's a really interesting device, and Brooks is a terrific writer. The story moves quickly and often unexpectedly, and the horrors and strangenesses of the war are detailed vividly. We get flashes of his wife and daughters back home through his letters to them, in a way that seems to flesh out their characters.

There's none of the treacly-sweet goody-goodiness of "Little Women" (but oh how I loved that book as a girl!) since this is a book aimed at an adult readership, and dealing with the gritty underbelly of the war and slave ownership.

I hadn't known that Little Women was based on the real-life Alcott family. (Louisa is Jo, her sisters are the other March girls.) Notables of the era who were actual friends of Mr. Alcott (Louisa May's father) float through the book, playing their parts in the saga....Emerson, Thoreau.

Recommended! :thumbup I was so absorbed in it that I read it in about 2 evenings.

This review actually motivates me to want to get a copy of this book to read :) So thanks!!

I'm reading this jodi.jpg. I'm actually about 2/3 of the way through it and on my trip this weekend to Chicago I was unable to keep from reading it every time we got in the car to go to the next location. It's great and it's definately the best yet by Jodi!

This review actually motivates me to want to get a copy of this book to read :) So thanks!!

I'm reading this jodi.jpg. I'm actually about 2/3 of the way through it and on my trip this weekend to Chicago I was unable to keep from reading it every time we got in the car to go to the next location. It's great and it's definately the best yet by Jodi!

If you do read it, let me know how you like it. It's settled comfortably into my brain now, and I like the memories it brings. A really haunting kind of story.

I almost bought that Jodi Picoult the other day. May have to, from your description. :thumbup All I've read of hers is "Nineteen Minutes", which I really enjoyed.

Unrelated, but once I get a free moment, I intend to pick your brain about tv's, now that I know you work at Best Buy. :yes You've been forewarned.

If you do read it, let me know how you like it. It's settled comfortably into my brain now, and I like the memories it brings. A really haunting kind of story.

I almost bought that Jodi Picoult the other day. May have to, from your description. :thumbup All I've read of hers is "Nineteen Minutes", which I really enjoyed.

Unrelated, but once I get a free moment, I intend to pick your brain about tv's, now that I know you work at Best Buy. :yes You've been forewarned.

I'd pretty much be willing to send you the books by Jodi I have, if you return them after you read them..because I enjoy her books that much that I encourage others to open their minds to reading them and thinking of things in a new way. They rock.

lol...as long as you don't ask me if I have any Wii's in stock I'll try to answer all your questions.

And NOOOOO we don't have Wii's in stock, no I don't know when I will have them in...lol