• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

>Great read, though. I think it's great because it reads as fiction even though it's non-fiction, which plays into the story even a non-history buff can appreciate.

That's true. It reads like fiction. It's unusual for this type of book to be a pageturner.

>When you finish it get the companion book (I checked it out from the library) to check out some of the landmarks described in the book. It's a coffee table-type picture book and I forget the name of it. Pretty nice companion piece.

Great idea. It would also be interesting to visit some of the places mentioned. On a similar note, Lincoln died in a boardinghouse across the street from Ford Theater. Within hours after he was removed to the White House, the room in which he'd been staying with various doctors was rented to a tenant who slept in the bed with Lincoln's bloody sheets. Amazing.

I picked this up today. Looking forward to it.

I think you'll have fun with it, it's a great read - a near perfect blend of sadness, joy, perseverance and straight-up comedy.

fiction_ocar_wao_a.jpg

I've been wanting to read this for awhile, but the campus library's copy is perpetually checked out, and it doesn't come out in paperback for a few more months. I was pleasantly surprised that it won the Pulitzer. He worked on it for something like ten years. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Someday I might actually finish The Satanic Verses. I've been reading it on and off since November, and I still have about 200 pages to go.

Great read, though. I think it's great because it reads as fiction even though it's non-fiction, which plays into the story even a non-history buff can appreciate.

When you finish it get the companion book (I checked it out from the library) to check out some of the landmarks described in the book. It's a coffee table-type picture book and I forget the name of it. Pretty nice companion piece.

Count me in as another huge fan of Manhunt. Nonfiction at its best!

I also really liked the companion book that Lammycat mentioned. It's called Lincoln's Assassins: Their Trial and Execution and the photos included are stunning.

I just finished this and loved it. It was one of those (rare) books that I thought about all the time and wondered what would happen next:

14492732.JPG

I just finished this and loved it. It was one of those (rare) books that I thought about all the time and wondered what would happen next:

14492732.JPG

Isn't T.C., like you, another fine product of the University of Iowa? I think his short story, "Greasy Lake," is about 1/20th of why I went the literature degree route in college.

I found Confederacy of Dunces to be the funniest book I've ever read. First time I read it was on a monthlong cross country camping trip.....and my traveling partner/girlfriend got pissed because I kept on laughing, sometimes to the point of tears, while we were driving. I continue to recommend this book to all who will listen.

Ugh, I could not get through Confederacy of Dunces. I thought he was simply the most obnoxious character I'd ever read...

I think you'll have fun with it, it's a great read - a near perfect blend of sadness, joy, perseverance and straight-up comedy.

I've actually decided to save it until I'm done with class in a few weeks and instead am rereading

Ishmael_cover.jpg

This book blew my mind the first time I read it, and it did the same the second. I borrowed it from a friend to reread today, and I'm hoping it has a similar effect the third time around. It always leaves me feeling very odd, but also very focused and renewed.

NR:

If I have a guilty pleasure it's this guy's work: It's just damn funny.

51NVTR6KQKL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

That is one terrific book! :yes Christopher Moore always leaves me laughing, and the worlds he creates are intriguing little places! Have you read "You Suck!" ? I'm not into vampires so I thought I wouldn't like this one, but once I had read just the first page, I was hopelessly hooked. Could hardly put it down until I'd finished it. :thumbup Highly recommended.

That is one terrific book! :yes Christopher Moore always leaves me laughing, and the worlds he creates are intriguing little places! Have you read "You Suck!" ? I'm not into vampires so I thought I wouldn't like this one, but once I had read just the first page, I was hopelessly hooked. Could hardly put it down until I'd finished it. :thumbup Highly recommended.

I've read them all excluding the current title. Found it for $4 used, in hard cover first edition just the other day.

I haven't been able to get into any of his books since Lamb. Lamb is, however, the funniest book I've ever read, hands down. I've never laughed that hard out loud at a book.

Lamb is his best work for sure.

is anyone here familiar with the Seminary Co-Op Bookstore which is underground, beneath the Chicago Theo. Seminary? Apparently, it is one of (if not THE) largest academic bookstores in the nation - though they carry all kinds of stuff.

Seminary Co-Op Bookstore

Founded in 1961 by 17 book lovers who invested $10 each, this consumer-owned bookstore has built its holding to over 100,000 titles ranging widely across the humanities & social sciences. The flagship store on University Avenue is widely regarded as one of the best academic bookstores in the world.

A prof was telling me about this place the other day - and I can't believe I hadn't heard of it before......Chicago's best kept secret?

2316862040_542c291898.jpg

2316861882_58a7138d2b.jpg

I may have to take a field trip.

Just added "Drop City" to my list.

Currently reading:

21853_feat.jpg

The subject is interesting enough to keep me reading (woman adopting a child from Vietnam, ruins marriage with Vietnam vet husband, befriends Vietnamese immigrant in the process). The writing's pretty stilted, though. I just finished books by Richard Russo and Tom Perrotta, so I think just about any book is going to seem stilted after that.

Nope, "Little Children". I'm waiting for "The Abstinence Teacher" to arrive from the library.

is anyone here familiar with the Seminary Co-Op Bookstore which is underground, beneath the Chicago Theo. Seminary? Apparently, it is one of (if not THE) largest academic bookstores in the nation - though they carry all kinds of stuff.

Seminary Co-Op Bookstore

A prof was telling me about this place the other day - and I can't believe I hadn't heard of it before......Chicago's best kept secret?

2316862040_542c291898.jpg

2316861882_58a7138d2b.jpg

I may have to take a field trip.

library.jpg

Was my first thought....