• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51X0CA6FN0L._SS400_.jpg

Between the classic films of Walt Disney in the 1940s and the televised cartoon revolution of the 1960s was a critical period in the history of animation. Amid Amidi, of the influential Animation Blast magazine and CartoonBrew blog, charts the evolution of the modern style in animation, which largely discarded the "lifelike" aesthetic for a more graphic and often abstract approach. Abundantly found in commercials, industrial and educational films, fair and expo infotainment, and more, this quickly popular cartoon modernism shared much with the painting and graphic design movements of the era. Showcasing hundreds of rare and forgotten sketches, model boards, cels, and film stills, Cartoon Modern is a thoroughly researched, eye-popping, and delightful account of a vital decade of animation design.

the layout and design works perfect w/ the subject matter, just a beautiful looking book...pretty informative too. gives a lot of background on some of the poeple behind some incredible work.

I just finished 51D5GATTBPL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

on Sunday night...bad idea to stay up late finishing a book and then get up at 5 for work...But it's the 1st in a series...its young adult and a tale about a young princess but is probably a bit more of a realistic story about what happens to her...I really enjoyed it and I was glad I had already bought the 2nd book.

Now I'm about to start 51K4B8RRPJL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Just about finished this one:

41RDZWM9S5L._SS500_.jpg

In parts funny, cringe-inducing, and often both. I could relate to his adolescent exploits all too well.

Finally got around to starting this one the other day:

1553651162.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I just picked this up and am looking forward to cracking its spine. This may be of interest to all sides of the Obama/elitist debate.

Deer_Hunting_with_Jesus_LR.jpg

Oh and this, which I'm also anticipating with great interest.

big0143038257.jpg

Hey, I'm halfway through this one. Great stories.

Reading it inspired a Band binge that lasted all last week. "Arcadian Driftwood", "It Makes No Difference" and "Daniel and the Sacred Harp" are like the holy trinity for me.

Poor Richard Manuel, its a shame no one ever stepped up to help the guy. The tale of when he moved from Shangra-La, leaving 1000 empty bottles of Grand Marnier, should've been a wake up call.

what's the deal with this one? I know Oprah gushes about it.

Haven't started it but it's been recommended to me. It looks like a book I can definitely use right now.

A blurb:

"Eckhart Tolle inspired millions of readers to discover the freedom and joy of a life lived "in the now." In "A New Earth," Tolle expands on these powerful ideas to show how transcending our ego-based state of consciousness is not only essential to personal happiness, but also the key to ending conflict and suffering throughout the world. Tolle describes how our attachment to the ego creates the dysfunction that leads to anger, jealousy, and unhappiness, and shows readers how to awaken to a new state of consciousness and follow the path to a truly fulfilling existence."

Any and all Tim O'Brien is a great thing.

LOTW was a very cool read. Kill Jesus!!

Yeah, I finished July, July last night. Excellent book. I'm about 50 pages into ITLOTW. Thanks to kim and a few others around here, O'Brien has become one of my favorite writers. Simply brilliant.

Yeah, I finished July, July last night. Excellent book. I'm about 50 pages into ITLOTW. Thanks to kim and a few others around here, O'Brien has become one of my favorite writers. Simply brilliant.

Did you read "The Things They Carried" yet?

F'n brilliant stuff.

Did you read "The Things They Carried" yet?

F'n brilliant stuff.

I did. It was the first one I read a few months ago and I agree.

I mentioned this earlier, I think, but O'Brien is the type of writer who creates sentences/images that cause me to put the book down and think in the middle of a paragraph, chapter, whatever. That's THE sign, for me.

I did. It was the first one I read a few months ago and I agree.

I mentioned this earlier, I think, but O'Brien is the type of writer who creates sentences/images that cause me to put the book down and think in the middle of a paragraph, chapter, whatever. That's THE sign, for me.

I agree, he's a master. However, I could barely finish "Going After Cacciato" though. I found it tedious. That was about 15 years ago, maybe its overdue for a reread.