I did. It was the first one I read a few months ago and I agree.

I mentioned this earlier, I think, but O'Brien is the type of writer who creates sentences/images that cause me to put the book down and think in the middle of a paragraph, chapter, whatever. That's THE sign, for me.

Dwelling on this a bit more....Cormac McCarthy is another creative master.....there is a passage in particular that he describes the rising sun as a swollen male member........awesome stuff.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From what I've read about it (and its author), it is pretty much the sequel to, The Secret.

I love how every few years, Oprah has a new guest who has just written a new book that claims to have it all figured out….until the next person arrives who has just written a new book and claims to have it all figured out……wash..rinse...repeat....

I used to work at a bookstore and my now former manager and I started betting (and still bet) on what Oprah's next book for her bookclub would be based on the tiny amt of information online that you'd get about them...it's fun attempting to guess on what Oprah normally does.

1. Usually her books have to do with women getting abused in some way

2. At the end the woman triumphs

And her latest book that she's had the classes for..it's over 10 years old..so where was Oprah all this time and what made her read it so long after it was written. Must be nice for E.T. that he's making a butt load of money off a book that is SO OLD!

Dwelling on this a bit more....Cormac McCarthy is another creative master.....there is a passage in particular that he describes the rising sun as a swollen male member........awesome stuff.

Blood Meridian is poetry.

Dark and foreboding, yet totally captivating.

I don't give a rat's ass if Oprah recommended it or not. It's been recommended to me by people who's opinions I respect. That's enough for me.

I also have no problem with digging into a highly touted self-help book.

"Warmed-over?"

Fine.

"All figured out?"

I don't think the book makes this claim. I understand that the self-help industry is over-run with this type of book. The Grapes of Wrath was still a great book before Oprah plugged it, though. I'll have to wait on my opinion of the Tolle book until I actually read it, though.

It's my understanding that the Big O has been trying to get E.T. to be on her show/be an Oprah's Book Club pick for years and for years he's refused. I wonder why he changed his mind?

All you Tim O' Brien fans have tempted me into submission....thanks to a couple of leftover birthday gift certificates at Amazon, I've just now ordered "The Things They Carried" and "In the Lake of the Woods". :thumbup

Now, which should I read first?

Laura, let us know how you liked "Unaccustomed Earth" when you've finished it. What's it about?

Hey Mel (Venus) I've torn through all 3 books you lent me....loved them all! They will be headed back to you soon. Thanks so much for the loan! :cheekkiss

("Torn through" meaning "read very speedily", not "ripped up". :lol)

Hey Mel (Venus) I've torn through all 3 books you lent me....loved them all! They will be headed back to you soon. Thanks so much for the loan! :cheekkiss

("Torn through" meaning "read very speedily", not "ripped up". :lol )

That's good I was getting a bit concerned...I love those books....YAY for not tearing them and double yay that you ripped through them! I'll send you some more books when I send yours back. I have a few more authors for you to try!

This is great so far..

24472130.JPG

Her collection of stories, whatever that was called, was/is excellent. Interpreter of Maladies, I think.

I haven't finished a book in a very long time, but I'm trying again with Guns, Germs, & Steel. So far, pretty interesting.

b054PB_lg.jpg

I don't think the book makes this claim. I understand that the self-help industry is over-run with this type of book. The Grapes of Wrath was still a great book before Oprah plugged it, though. I'll have to wait on my opinion of the Tolle book until I actually read it, though.

If nothing else, at least Oprah has brought readers to books who might not have read them otherwise. Grapes of Wrath, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Love in the Time of Cholera ... read by lots of people just because of that Oprah sticker. Whatever gets people reading and talking about books is fine by me.

This is great so far..

24472130.JPG

Adding to my list. Funny, but it seems like anytime I'm considering a book, you recommend it and I add it to the list.

That "If You Lived Here" book I was reading last week? Ugh. One step above chick lit. I hate that I wasted my time on it. Horrible.

I'm much happier with this:

15207428.JPG

Just about to start this one:

51E7CAS4wSL._SS500_.jpg

All you Tim O' Brien fans have tempted me into submission....thanks to a couple of leftover birthday gift certificates at Amazon, I've just now ordered "The Things They Carried" and "In the Lake of the Woods". :thumbup

I'd go with 'The Things They Carried".

Laura, let us know how you liked "Unaccustomed Earth" when you've finished it. What's it about?

I'd read In the Lake of the Woods first, because I think The Things they Carried is so stunning that it's going to be hard to follow.

Unaccustomed Earth is a collection of short stories with themes of love, family, identity-- the usual, but her writing is wonderful and very subtle and lovely. Lahiri's first book, Interpreter of Maladies, won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. She has also written a great novel called The Namesake.

If nothing else, at least Oprah has brought readers to books who might not have read them otherwise. Grapes of Wrath, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Love in the Time of Cholera ... read by lots of people just because of that Oprah sticker. Whatever gets people reading and talking about books is fine by me.

Adding to my list. Funny, but it seems like anytime I'm considering a book, you recommend it and I add it to the list.

I completely agree with you about Oprah. Anything that encourages reading is a positive thing!

Funny that we are on the same book wavelength! This is a fine trend. :cheers

Snakes on a Plane(t)

Okay, that made me laugh until I snorted.

I'm going to finish "Bearing the Body" in the next hour (it's a good read). Then I'm starting:

16431189.JPG

Okay, that made me laugh until I snorted.

I'm going to finish "Bearing the Body" in the next hour (it's a good read). Then I'm starting:

16431189.JPG

I hug you across the miles for being easily amused. :cheekkiss

I hug you across the miles for being easily amused. :cheekkiss

What can I say? Some days, it doesn't take much for me. :thumbup

Once Upon a Time in Italy: The Westerns of Sergio Leone by Christopher Frayling

The Art Of Sergio Leone's Once Upon A Time In The West: A Critical Appreciation by John Wesley Fawell

Sergio Leone: Something to Do With Death by Christopher Frayling

This is great so far..

24472130.JPG

How did I not know this was out already. I'm a huge Jhumpa Lahiri fan. Interpreter of Maladies is one of my all-time favorite books

I had an hour to kill this afternoon while waiting to pick up my new glasses, and I ended up at Barnes and Noble, where I got

51UjOby+HPL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

51JlQF9IhWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

51HE9Q2FGVL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

I've spent the last few months reading The Satanic Verses, and I should probably be done with it sometime this weekend. I've enjoyed it, but it's been extremely dense reading, so I'm looking forward to reading something a bit more linear next.

I haven't read through this entire thread, so I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but I just finished this last night:

Book-web.jpg

and it has affected me more than any other book I've read in a long, long time. I didn't let myself get too emotional about it until I finished, but once I did - my head is still spinning. everyone should read this book.

it's a (mostly true) biography about a southern Sudanese boy's journey from his village (after it was attacked) to several refugee camps, and finally, America. The things that happened to this kid, and the amount of strength and growth and resilience he's shown - just amazing. and it's beautifully written; every sentence seems to have a larger purpose, and is perfectly crafted.