it's a (mostly true) biography about a southern Sudanese boy's journey from his village (after it was attacked) to several refugee camps, and finally, America. The things that happened to this kid, and the amount of strength and growth and resilience he's shown - just amazing. and it's beautifully written; every sentence seems to have a larger purpose, and is perfectly crafted.

Sounds amazing.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it's a (mostly true) biography about a southern Sudanese boy's journey from his village (after it was attacked) to several refugee camps, and finally, America. The things that happened to this kid, and the amount of strength and growth and resilience he's shown - just amazing. and it's beautifully written; every sentence seems to have a larger purpose, and is perfectly crafted.

I'll second that, easily Eggers' best novel to date. These sorts of stories are great for putting all the trivial bullshit of daily life in perspective.

HUGE used book sale in our town today, it fills a large gymnasium. Looking forward to finding good records and books. This is a yearly event for me, so I am looking forward to it.

Just finished -

Music from Big Pink: A Novella (33 1/3)

by John Niven

(thoroughly enjoyable and bittersweet)

Next up -

The Film Club

by David Gilmour

(err, not him...the other David Gilmour)

Ooooooh, I think I have to have that! :) We've been watching a lot of Mr. Rogers at my house lately.

51AXYZxdfVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

That's on my list. I'm at the end of a self-imposed food book break.

Finally reading this:

abstinence-teacherx.jpg

It's good, but so far not as good as "Little Children".

for some reason that book makes me think of this one.....

5176VXJWWPL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

a social history of air conditioning - heard the author on NPR years ago and have always been intrigued. I should add it to my wishlist.

We just got this in the library. If I don't do a self-imposed food book break, this is next up:

418XJkaCkdL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Oh, I need to read that!

I also need to read that a/c book at the same time I read the kitchen book, as my kitchen is essentially sans a/c. :upset

for some reason that book makes me think of this one.....

5176VXJWWPL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

a social history of air conditioning - heard the author on NPR years ago and have always been intrigued. I should add it to my wishlist.

I love social history. If I can pry myself away from the Vietnam War, I'll probably do something 20th century American social history as my thesis. And I'll do all my writing while watching I Love Lucy. :thumbup

I'm in the middle of about three books right now, but speaking of food books:

supper_cover_200.jpg

This one is very cool so far. The photographs are great - any Bourdain fans (fans in that way, I mean) should check out his portrait in here. It's, um, something.

This one is very cool so far. The photographs are great - any Bourdain fans (fans in that way, I mean) should check out his portrait in here. It's, um, something.

Oh my. I think I have a boner now. :blush

I'm a big Perrotta fan but this didn't do much for me.

It felt a little dashed off.

Which one? I'm getting that "dashed off" feeling from "The Abstinence Teacher". I thought "Little Children" had more depth.