• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which one? I'm getting that "dashed off" feeling from "The Abstinence Teacher". I thought "Little Children" had more depth.

Yup - I wasn't all that clear with my pronouns.

I agree with you. I liked Little Children but Abstinence Teacher feels like he had a deadline to meet.

I just read Perrotta's The Wishbones, which was pretty good.

A few professors have raved about his work - I am intrigued as well. Let me know how you like it and I might be adding it to my wish list

re: the Eckhart Tolle book, A New Earth

I'm just shy of 100 pages and find it absolutely fascinating. It's more of a psychology-based book than I thought it would be. It basically addresses the hinderances of an ego-based society in terms of such things as war, diplomacy, profession, etc. as well as with personality, relationships, parenting, etc. It references major religions and the self often.

It's definitely a book that makes me think. It's hard to argue with a lot of his observations. It may not be for everybody but it works for me. Pretty philosophical at times, too.

13822587.JPG

I started this last night and couldn't put it down. It was as if someone was in my head. Very comforting during this time. It's nice to know all the crazy I feel isn't crazy, but normal - and they do a good job explaining why you react psychologically and what functions it has. For me, having that information makes me feel better. I highly recommend it. It's intriguing and approachable while remaining empathic and kind.

re: the Eckhart Tolle book, A New Earth

I'm just shy of 100 pages and find it absolutely fascinating. It's more of a psychology-based book than I thought it would be. It basically addresses the hinderances of an ego-based society in terms of such things as war, diplomacy, profession, etc. as well as with personality, relationships, parenting, etc. It references major religions and the self often.

It's definitely a book that makes me think. It's hard to argue with a lot of his observations. It may not be for everybody but it works for me. Pretty philosophical at times, too.

Interesting. I usually shy away from anything self-helpy, but I've been drawn to this one. May give it a shot.

my mom just gave me The Power of Now - so it is on my list - though I am tempted to check out this one, too. I should put it on my reserve list at the library.

Interesting. I usually shy away from anything self-helpy, but I've been drawn to this one. May give it a shot.

It's not a typical run-of-the-mill self-help book in any sense. It's not sappy/syrupy and really just deals with ego and how the ego affects us. I suppose it is a self-helper as it does help the person reading it to be introspective and to consider some fairly complex issues about the Self- but that's fine by me. Really, any good book does that anyway.

Started Chip Kidd's new one, "The Learners" last night. Finished "The Climb-Tragic Ambitions on Everest" by Anatoli Boukreev and G. Weston DeWalt and "Chuck Klosterman IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas" by Chuck Klosterman on Tuesday.

10337486.jpg

I'm about half-way through this, and loving it. I'd read his The Hummingbird's Daughter before, which was also amazing, but in entirely different ways (the difference between fiction and non-fiction, for one...).

I don't know why I haven't read his books before. I'd heard such good things about the non-fiction (plus: Calexico [the band not the VCer :P ] loves him!), and everything I'd heard was true. Across the Wire next, probably. :yes

I did like Across the Wire a wee bit more than By The Lake of Sleeping Children, though they are similar.

The Devil's Highway was my favorite. It's hard for me to gush about that book though, because of the nature of it. It feels weird to talk so nonchalantly about something that is so tragic. It is certainly one of the better books I have ever read. I couldn't put it down.

How is Thunderstruck? It's on my 'to read' list.

Currently reading this. I am a big fan of Steve Coll's writing (he also wrote Ghost Wars, which I thought was great):

25503531.JPG

I have a horrible OCD habit of forcing myself to finish any book I read. With 3-year-old twins, a full-time job, a part-time job, and my love of movies and music, reading is often on the backburner. Especially when I've started a book like this and I keep telling myself I have to finish it.

45647000_c.gif

I really liked Russell Banks' Rule of the Bone and enjoyed, but forced myself to finish Cloudsplitter. This one is a collection of short stories. His stories are so depressing that reading one after another is really depressing. My p/t job is at a bookstore and I keep seeing all these other books I should be reading, but, again; I must finish...