I'm reading "Fallen Ashes" A history of the CIA. Kind of interesting how pretty much every President since the CIA was founded (1947) has used it to fuck around with world events.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just finished this and loved it. It was one of those (rare) books that I thought about all the time and wondered what would happen next:

14492732.JPG

I'm starting this today.

I finished "Knockemstiff" last night. While I took issue with some of the subject matter (which is just my own wussiness at work), it was otherwise excellent. Really strong writing. While it was violent and gruesome, it wasn't gratuitous. But the writing ... at times if felt a little bit like an after-school special, but most of the time it was honestly gut-wrenching.

I watched the film version of "Little Children" over the weekend. It was pretty good, although I thought all of the humor was sucked out of it. Some of the more interesting subplots were cut, like Richard's trip to visit Slutty Kay. That bothered me, because it made Sarah seem less sympathetic. Otherwise, it was pretty good for a film adaptation.

I'm starting this today.

:love

You'll have to let me know what you think of Drop City! I am so grateful to have been clued in to the world of TC Boyle. How delicious it is to be introduced to a new author and then you find out they've written 19 books?!! In the last two months, I've already read four of them.

i was able to get an advanced copy of Dennis Lehane's The Given Day, a historical novel set in 1918 Boston...it's epic in scope (over 700 pages) and is a real artistic progression for him. I am about 250 pages in and loving it. even Babe Ruth makes an appearence.

lol to rain on your parade i have no idea what you all are talking about but i'm intrigued and am going to have to go back in this thread to figure out the book title so i can borrow it from the library this week.

Well, this is what started us all off:

i was able to get an advanced copy of Dennis Lehane's The Given Day, a historical novel set in 1918 Boston...it's epic in scope (over 700 pages) and is a real artistic progression for him. I am about 250 pages in and loving it. even Babe Ruth makes an appearence.

but we've talked in this thread (and others like it) before about books about the 1918 flu pandemic (there are tons of those), and also:

8715223.jpg

:thumbup

Thanks!

Edit: Grr none of the libraries in my area have the Dark Tide...

Interlibrary loan is your friend. They do all the work for you and you just pick it up at your home library.

I am pages away from finishing The United States of Arugula (I know, I've taken forever,) and I've really enjoyed it!! American history and food? Yes, please!!

Interlibrary loan was my friend...once...it was so lovely...until one day the library i have my card through decided they didn't have the money to be part of the program anymore..and they changed the system so you could ONLY do interlibrary loan through your own library...so until I find someone who will let me use their address in one of the cities..I am unable to use the system...right now if the library I'm at doesn't have the book I want, I have to drive to the library that does. Such a pain in the patoot. But I may just buy that book...it's only about $1 used online....the shipping costs more then the actual book.

And every one of you keeps raving about that United States of Arugula book I may have to check it out!