• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the OK Computer one in the series is stupid. it is the first and last one i will ever buy.

Not even. It's weird. I think the series usually explores albums and goes into the making of the album or the influence or impact of the album, etc. Not this one. This one was "faction" (as described on the back cover). Basically, it traces the fictional life of a 20-something drug dealer who moves up to Woodstock for the summer and ends up being a casual friend of a few members of the band, and supplies them with some drugs. The book explores the kid's life -- including a trip home to visit his Dad when his Mom dies, and his crush on a gal, etc. -- and ends up becoming a biography of this ficitonal guy instead of a book about the album. Richard Manuel and Rick Danko are prominently involved, and Dylan makes a couple of appearances (at parties), but there is little to no exploration of the album except through this kid's eyes, and even then, it's only briefly. This one left me scratching my head.

sounds to me like they were trying to pull a Greil Marcus and ended up looking stupid.

-justin

I've tried three or four from that series and none have impressed me.

I just finished the one on the Pixies and thought it was pretty good. I also liked Bill Janovitz's book on Exile on Main Street. However, I really didn't like the one on REM's Murmur.

I'd love a follow-up on this one you finish it -- I have a friend who's an urban planner and this could make a really easy Christmas gift!

Kimcatch:

I just finished this book (Last Days of Old Beijing) and really liked it. It has a lot of pretty interesting information about the history of Beijing, including what is going on there now with the destruction of much of the older neighborhoods.

Apollo Moon Missions: The Unsung Heroes

Watkins, Billy

Finding Amelia: The True Story of the Earhart Disappearance

Gillespie, Ric

Get back: The Unauthorized Chronicle of The Beatles 'Let it be' Disaster

Sulpy, Doug

Jimi Hendrix: Inside The Experience

Mitchell, Mitch

Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Concordance

Furth, Robin

Kimcatch:

I just finished this book (Last Days of Old Beijing) and really liked it. It has a lot of pretty interesting information about the history of Beijing, including what is going on there now with the destruction of much of the older neighborhoods.

Thanks for the follow-up!

I'm reading stuff for grad school these days... goodbye, personal reading time. :ohwell

The Brothers K had exactly the quality you describe. That also took me awhile to get into, but then suddenly I was so hooked I could hardly put it down. That book had a lot to do with baseball, which I have no particular interest in, but the sweep of the bigger story was so hearfelt and true, emotionally, that it totally won me over.

So, now I'm reading this kidsmoke...thanks for the suggestion.

I just finished the one on the Pixies and thought it was pretty good. I also liked Bill Janovitz's book on Exile on Main Street. However, I really didn't like the one on REM's Murmur.

I'm planning to check out the U2, Stones, and Pixies ones for sure in the next few months, and possibly a few others. I'm hoping to propose a book next time they have an open submissions period, so I need to get more familiar with the series.

redpillbox, hope you love The Brothers K as much as I did (do). It continues to live in my head.

Brothers K became, rather unexpectedly (I am not a huge baseball fan), one of my favorite books of all time...you can't help but fall in love with the family.

just started this one. So far so good, I'm excited to keep reading

I couldn't put that one down. Original and amazingly well written. I haven't read any other Robbins. Any suggestions for my next one?

I couldn't put that one down. Original and amazingly well written. I haven't read any other Robbins. Any suggestions for my next one?

Another Roadside Attraction

Jitterbug Perfume

Skinny Legs and All

All those mentioned above have their merits.....one of those merits being a very enjoyable read.

yes, I'm loving this one so far. The only other book I've read by him is "Still Life with Woodpecker" and it was really good too. Check it out if you get a chance