• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have read bundles of his books, but nothing recently. I kind of figured, after that Buick 8 book, I should just walk away.

Yea, he had kind of a lull there after finishing the Dark Tower series. Duma Key is great though as was Lisey's Story.

i was able to get an advanced copy of Dennis Lehane's The Given Day, a historical novel set in 1918 Boston...it's epic in scope (over 700 pages) and is a real artistic progression for him. I am about 250 pages in and loving it. even Babe Ruth makes an appearence.

I'm reading that now, 100 pages left to go. I love it! Nice to see Lehane move beyond mysteries and excel.

For what it's worth, here are my favorite epic fantasy authors in order of prowess and enjoyability.

1. Gene Wolfe. Furreals. The Book of the New Sun is the shit. Dazzling in its inventiveness; truly transporting to another world.

2. J.R.R. Tolkien. Well, duh. Moral instruction delivered in inspirational form.

3. Robert E. Howard. - love his pulp prose style - clean and evocative.

4. Michael Moorcock. - a very good writer, prolific at a high level and imaginative as hell.

I'm reading that now, 100 pages left to go. I love it! Nice to see Lehane move beyond mysteries and excel.

Good to hear - I haven't read any of Lehane's stuff, but it certainly translates well to the screen (plus he wrote some great episodes of The Wire) - I read an interview where he said the nugget that got him writing about that era was post-WW/molasses disaster and realizing people must have been thinking the world was ending, and to extend the point, people must always be thinking their era is when the world will end.

Good to hear - I haven't read any of Lehane's stuff, but it certainly translates well to the screen (plus he wrote some great episodes of The Wire) - I read an interview where he said the nugget that got him writing about that era was post-WW/molasses disaster and realizing people must have been thinking the world was ending, and to extend the point, people must always be thinking their era is when the world will end.

if you do get the time to read Lehane, i would certainly recommend The Given Day. but to fully appreciate his development as an author, you may want to start with his earlier works. his best after The Given Day is clearly Mystic River, followed by Shutter Island (mind twisting mystery that is soon to be a Scorcese movie).

About 50 pages into this, and loving it:

12356527.jpg

Recently finished:

x8217.jpg

51AH49YYKRL.jpg

7802893.jpg

Almost done with the Tobias Wolff!

Still to go on the TW list: The Barracks Thief, and Our Story Begins.

Next up in the stack:

33501424.jpg

Heard her read a bit of it the other night. She had a bad cold, but as she herself commented, it didn't really make her voice sound all that much worse.

And on hold for me at the library:

33091501.jpg

33346858.jpg

27934198.jpg

26051892.jpg

:dancing

it's weird that they put Jerry Seinfeld on the cover, he had zero impact on comedy in the 1970s. I don't even think his career got off the ground til ~1981-82.

He was definitely a working comic in the late 70s, but yeah, he would certainly fit better in a study of comedy in the 80s.

LOVE Tobias Wolff. If you've never heard him read his stuff, I strongly recommend it.

Yeah, I'm loving his stuff. Great combination of really plainly written stories with great plots, so I'm zipping through them, but at the same time the writing is so beautiful, and the characters and their situations are just haunting, they're stuck in my head like they've always lived there.

I'm usually not one for audiobooks, but I do like to hear writers read their own work. I'll check him out. :thumbup

I'm usually not one for audiobooks, but I do like to hear writers read their own work. I'll check him out. :thumbup

Me either, but he's got a rhythm to his readings that hypnotize and highten his prose.

Went to hear David Sedaris read last night. He filled the Opera House (capacity 3000+). I was surprised by how self-assured he seemed on stage, it was a definite contrast to the squirrelly persona he puts across in his books. I'd say I enjoyed the new stories he read last night to anything in the last book, although that may have just been because it's easier to laugh out loud in a theater full of other laughing people, than on a crowded streetcar during rush hour. Oh, and he signed my book:

"To Maudie,

Your story touched my heart.

David Sedaris"

:lol

He recommended this, so I'll be putting it on my list:

24672310.jpg