• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Picked up two books from the library today that I'm very much looking forward to reading:

enger.jpg

His Peace Like a River is one of the best-written books I've ever read, so my expectations are high.

martinclark.jpg

Martin Clark is a 40-something judge in rural VA and has a wit and style that I find very amusing. His first two books are both excellent, entertaining reads.

I really enjoyed Empire Falls. Straight Man was pretty good too.

Just finished:

dying.jpg

Wow. I've tried reading Faulkner before, and I could never really get into it, but this time it clicked. Have you ever read a book where the characters and the landscape and the telling stick with you and that's all you can think about for days? I can't wait to read more...

Just started (because I have to wait for The Sound and the Fury at the library):

beansegypt.jpg

Here's the link to the article that made me pick this one up, in case anyone is interested:

Carolyn Chute

harper1.jpg

This is the Olive Edition a limited series that also includes The Unbearable Lightness of Being and The Mysteries of Pittsburgh. They are a little smaller than a typical paperback but the best part is they are only $10 (or $8 on amazon)..

Olives.jpg

27934198.jpg

I'm up to Iowa (it's arranged alphabetically), and while I've enjoyed many of the essays so far, I have only been wowed by Illionois. And thus continues my love-hate relationship with Dave Eggers. :twitchsmile

harper1.jpg

This is the Olive Edition a limited series that also includes The Unbearable Lightness of Being and The Mysteries of Pittsburgh. They are a little smaller than a typical paperback but the best part is they are only $10 (or $8 on amazon)..

Olives.jpg

I saw the Mysteries of Pittsburgh version in the store the other day but didn't know it was a series. Pretty cool. Too bad I've read them all. But, for those of you that haven't, I highly recommend each, especially for that price.

51FQWMN2X6L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I started this last night. I only read maybe 10 poems, but I can tell I'm really going to like it. What I always like about Kevin Young's collections is that while he's not a narrative poet, he structures his books so that they always manage to have a very narrative quality to them.

I also had no idea first editions of the book are so valuable. I bought mine used for maybe $8 a few years ago and it's in brand-new condition. Amazon is listing the cheapest new copy as almost $50.