I just started Confederates in the Attic which is something I've been meaning to read for a long time. I can't believe that this book came out 10 years ago.

Up next will be Bacardi-cover.jpg

Finally, I am getting close to the end of my Books-to-Read list. How do you decide on your next book?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bumping Into Geniuses: My Life Inside the Rock and Roll Business

by Danny Goldberg

A Freewheelin' Time: A Memoir of Greenwich Village in the Sixties

by Suze Rotolo

Talking Mysteries

by Tony Hillerman, Ernie Bulow, Ernest Franklin

Women of Wonder, the Classic Years: Science Fiction by Women from the 1940s to the 1970s

by Pamela Sargent (editor)

Iceman: Uncovering the Life and Times of a Prehistoric Man Found in an Alpine Glacier

by Brenda Fowler

Batman: The Long Halloween

by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale

• 2 weeks later...
"The Godfather" by Mario Puzo

It reads almost like a screenplay.

A great book. I am such a fan of mobster novels and movies. Puzo's other books, like The Sicilian and The Last Don are pretty good as well.

I'm re-reading this right now:

9780060955861.jpg

Dangerous Visions (1967)

Again, Dangerous Visions (1972)

An anthology of stories edited by

Harlan Ellison

Also - I am currently exploring the works of the following:

John Crowley

Gene Wolfe

James Tiptree, Jr.

Dan Simmons

Howard Waldrop

Carol Emshwiller

This week I've read the 33 1/3 books on the Pixies' Doolittle, Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation, U2's Achtung Baby, and Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited.

ESue, I read that Kingsolver book this summer and loved it. It made me think about our role in the larger world in a way no book has for a long time.

27539724.JPG

Just started. A friend gave it to me for Xmas. I think like many comedians' material, it's better heard than read. Just from reading the prologue I'm thinking he could've benefited from a ghost writer (or a better one if he already used one) or a more active editor.

What did you think about this? Was it worth the read?

I really hated it. I mean, it wasn't a bad book per se, I guess, but it wasn't at all like I would've expected a book that's in that series to be. The author approached the album from a very religious perspective, looking at it as a narrative about man and woman's departure from Eden into the so-called "City of Man," all slick neon and sin. While that in and of itself isn't too unbelievable (though it's not how I've interpreted Achtung Baby, I can see where he's coming from), he drowns his analysis in quotes from the bible, philosophers, and religious scholars and doesn't include a single lyric from a single song. I'm guessing there was a problem securing copyright permission, but it still felt like something was missing. Overall, it seems like the author had an agenda, where with the other books I've read in the series, it seems like the authors let the story of each album unfold naturally. I didn't come away from the book knowing anything I didn't already about the album. Besides YHF, it's my favorite album, so I was really looking forward to it, but it was a big disappointment.

Want my copy? :lol

I really hated it. I mean, it wasn't a bad book per se, I guess, but it wasn't at all like I would've expected a book that's in that series to be. The author approached the album from a very religious perspective, looking at it as a narrative about man and woman's departure from Eden into the so-called "City of Man," all slick neon and sin. While that in and of itself isn't too unbelievable (though it's not how I've interpreted Achtung Baby, I can see where he's coming from), he drowns his analysis in quotes from the bible, philosophers, and religious scholars and doesn't include a single lyric from a single song. I'm guessing there was a problem securing copyright permission, but it still felt like something was missing. Overall, it seems like the author had an agenda, where with the other books I've read in the series, it seems like the authors let the story of each album unfold naturally. I didn't come away from the book knowing anything I didn't already about the album. Besides YHF, it's my favorite album, so I was really looking forward to it, but it was a big disappointment.

Want my copy? :lol

Thanks for the heads up. With as much as I love that album, and considering how much I've studied the history surrounding it, I think I would probably dislike the book as well.

51T4B9QCHRL._SL160_OU01_SS160_.jpg

Somewhat self-serving in that my brother-in-law wrote it. It's a pretty interesting portrait of the first marine killed in the war in Irag.

It's good but if I can continue to praise his work, his first book is better. It's called Flight of Passage and it recounts the story of when he (age 15) and his older brother (age 17) fixed up a Piper Cub airplane and flew it across the country.

Thanks for the heads up. With as much as I love that album, and considering how much I've studied the history surrounding it, I think I would probably dislike the book as well.

I read the 33 1/3 about "Let it Be" (Replacements) written by the lead singer of The Decemberists. It was not bad but did not have much to say about the album. I remember being struck by the fact that he ran out and bought the album as soon as it came out when he was in middle school I think. Why couldn't I be hip to cool bands like The Replacemements at that age?

I read the 33 1/3 about "Let it Be" (Replacements) written by the lead singer of The Decemberists. It was not bad but did not have much to say about the album. I remember being struck by the fact that he ran out and bought the album as soon as it came out when he was in middle school I think. Why couldn't I be hip to cool bands like The Replacemements at that age?

He may have been lying. :pirate

He may have been lying. :pirate

If he isn't lying he was the coolest ten year old ever! He was born in 1974, the album came out in 1984. :ninja