• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41B2KE3M8WL._AA240_.jpg

Just started this. God damn, I'm not even done the preface and I'm hooked.

My favorite book ever! I've read it about 8 times and it never loses it's magic. I would like to read others of his, but I'm afraid I'll be dissappointed.

My favorite book ever! I've read it about 8 times and it never loses it's magic. I would like to read others of his, but I'm afraid I'll be dissappointed.

I can only recommend Siddhartha, as that is the only Hesse book I've read. If you are into stories about journeys and soul searching and that stuff, its a masterpiece.

I finished The Secret Life of Bees this a.m. Very good book. For those that know, how are Sue Monk Kidd's other books in comparison. I know she writes memoirs and other non-fiction, but what's the scope with other fiction?

I need a good book. I'm in a fiction phase I think, and perhaps a Southern fiction phase. I'm Faulkner-ed and O'Conner-ed out for now, though. Something in the vein of Larry Brown, perhaps....

I believe Sue Monk Kidd's older books are all spiritually oriented. I have not read them, so I can't say much.

The book she released after Secret Life of Bees is The Mermaid Chair. I liked it, but didn't love it. I think it's worth a read - but don't be expecting anything as great as Bees.

Just finished this on Sunday...timetravelerswife.jpgHave kleenex ready.
I loved this book. They made it into a movie, but I'm afraid to see it. I have the perfect view in my mind and I don't want it ruined.
My reading ebbs and flows according to the season. Now winding down the gardening/swimming/biking season. Time to begin digesting the big pile of words that I have been gathering up all summer.Just started:animal_veg_miracle.jpgAfter many recommendations from the board, and especially viatroy. One of my favorite authors! You're right, chica. It totally reminds me of me, too. :cheekkiss
I love this book, too!!
I loved this book - but I loved the movie first, so that may have something to do with it.

had to finish it about a week ago, have to say it's one of favorite books as of now, at least. every page was amazing. i loved it.

41eDV6HjO4L._SS500_.jpg

More Couplandly goodness. It's a bit depressing at times, but it also made me laughed out loud at many inappropriate moments (e.g., on the plane, on my way to a funeral).

I am starting it this weekend. :dancing

I need a good book. I'm in a fiction phase I think, and perhaps a Southern fiction phase. I'm Faulkner-ed and O'Conner-ed out for now, though. Something in the vein of Larry Brown, perhaps....

How about The Moviegoer by Walker Percy? Or anything by Tony Earley-- Jim the Boy is great, and I also love Somehow Form a Family: Stories that are Mostly True. But I should clarify that I don't think Tony Earley is much like Larry Brown-- he's less gritty.

I am now reading this:

51fQQNBPG-L._AA240_.jpg

How about The Moviegoer by Walker Percy? Or anything by Tony Earley-- Jim the Boy is great, and I also love Somehow Form a Family: Stories that are Mostly True. But I should clarify that I don't think Tony Earley is much like Larry Brown-- he's less gritty.

I'll look into these, thanks for the suggestions. I haven't heard of the authors so I'm always down with getting hooked up to good writers.

Started this last night:

1565124995.jpg

Fortresssolitudecvr.jpg

I'm about 70 pages in. It's beautifully written. Captures childhood thus far in amazingly subtle detail.

I can't tell if books like this inspire me as a writer or just make me frustrated that I'll never do anything as good. Probably a little bit of both...

So yeah, I've got about 40 pages to go. I read close to 200 on my trip this weekend. It gets really weak in the middle, around the time him and Mingus stop hanging out until about the time he starts talking about going to Camden. The first 200 pages are the best, by far, and some of the best stuff I've ever, read but overall I think it's a pretty remarkable book.

51d2LY7cGkL._SS500_.jpg

So far, I've visited about 25% of the destinations in this book. If I have another 30 (or so) good years ahead of me, I still won't be able to experience all of them. Right now, Newfoundland, Quebec City, and Gwaii Haanas are at the top of my list.

• 2 weeks later...
250px-Revroad.jpg

Not sure how I got through being an English major without ever hearing about his book.

I'm 100 pages in now, reading it for the first time. Such a great book. This guy speaks my language, unfortunately that's kind of depressing :mellow

Finished this recently, and really enjoyed it:

15246253.JPG

I read Roth's The Plot Against America recently, and this meshes nicely with that.

I'm now thinking of picking up the followup book to Farthing, which is titled Ha'Penny.