The Frames Discography

I saw a commercial for "Once" last week. That led me online to do some research. I absolutely must see the movie, hopefully next week. In the meantime, I've figured out that I would really like The Frames. Where should I start in their catalog? Thanks!! :wave

The new album, The Cost... definetly my fave. I downloaded the collection like a year ago, and I just recently picked this one up and I must say it ROCKS!!

also Burn The Maps is a really good one

ENJOY, I saw them at Lolla last year and have been hooked ever since.

I would say start with one of these:

Fitzcarraldo

Dance the Devil

For the Birds.

I'm not sure what my ranking would be of their albums (I haven't been into to them for that long), but Fitzcarraldo would definitely be at the top.

That is them.

Here's a clip of their bass player, saying that you really should go seem them live, and talking about how they hung around after their set at a festival in Belgium to hear Wilco: http://www.cuttingedge.be/videos/18356-the-frames-interview

And if I recall correctly, Glen Hansard said that some of the Wilcos were hanging around backstage listening to them at the Sasquatch Festival a couple of years ago. Is that right? Trish, Gina? Do you remember him saying that?

Anyway, I think there's some mutual respect there.

That is them.

Here's a clip of their bass player, saying that you really should go seem them live, and talking about how they hung around after their set at a festival in Belgium to hear Wilco: http://www.cuttingedge.be/videos/18356-the-frames-interview

And if I recall correctly, Glen Hansard said that some of the Wilcos were hanging around backstage listening to them at the Sasquatch Festival a couple of years ago. Is that right? Trish, Gina? Do you remember him saying that?

Anyway, I think there's some mutual respect there.

In the middle of the version of Pavement Tune from Live at Lollapalooza 2006, Glen sings a line from "Reservations" and then says something about "the Jeff Tweedy, the Disco, the New York City". You can find it on iTunes.

dcd

as gogo pointed out, Setlist is a great starting point... fantastic live record, and they're best experienced live

as for their studio albums, in order:

Dance The Devil

For The Birds

Fitzcarraldo

are def their best 3, then:

The Cost

Burn The Maps

and for true fans only:

Another Love Song (their first record from '91)

Rich, they've actually opened for Dylan before, in the late 90's in London

The Frames and Andrew Bird are playing at the Hideout Block Party on Saturday, 9/8. Not to mention Mucca Pazza. And Art Brut. And features from the Chicago Short Film Brigade. I'm so freaking pumped. Actually, the last time I saw the Frames was also at the Hideout.

• 5 years later...

Nearly six years since I posted a badly spelled post the last time and I have to say that Glenn Hansard who did a solo set at the Hideout Block Party last year, has gotten so boring.  The Frames were a moderately interesting band and the Swell Season and the movie Once were pretty and fun, but he just isn't that important or that good by himself.  Just my opinion really.  Does he need a solo career and did Once deserve the Broadway musical treatment?  Maybe I don't know.

LouieB

With all due respect to Frames fans...but he rivals Bono as probably the most irritating Irish singer and I'm Irish.

Each to their own and all that but I cannot fathom how this guy gets airspace, there's a reason why they're still relatively unknown after 20+ years and it's cos they are terrible.

He's extremely conceited and has an ego to match Bono's.

And he should not have won that oscar for the Once song as it had been recorded a few years previous to the film and had appeared on at least one other album before the Once OST.

I'd rather go deaf than listen to that moron.

Nearly six years since I posted a badly spelled post the last time and I have to say that Glenn Hansard who did a solo set at the Hideout Block Party last year, has gotten so boring.  The Frames were a moderately interesting band and the Swell Season and the movie Once were pretty and fun, but he just isn't that important or that good by himself.  Just my opinion really.  Does he need a solo career and did Once deserve the Broadway musical treatment?  Maybe I don't know.

LouieB

the Glen show i saw last summer at First Avenue with all the members of The Frames + Levon Helm's horn section was one of the best shows i've ever seen Glen do in a decade or more and top 3 shows i saw all last year...

With all due respect to Frames fans...but he rivals Bono as probably the most irritating Irish singer and I'm Irish.

Each to their own and all that but I cannot fathom how this guy gets airspace, there's a reason why they're still relatively unknown after 20+ years and it's cos they are terrible.

He's extremely conceited and has an ego to match Bono's.

And he should not have won that oscar for the Once song as it had been recorded a few years previous to the film and had appeared on at least one other album before the Once OST.

I'd rather go deaf than listen to that moron.

Yikes.....snap.

the Glen show i saw last summer at First Avenue with all the members of The Frames + Levon Helm's horn section was one of the best shows i've ever seen Glen do in a decade or more and top 3 shows i saw all last year...

That does sound kind of cool actually.  I like the guy, but he does take himself pretty seriously. 

LouieB

Yikes.....snap.

That does sound kind of cool actually.  I like the guy, but he does take himself pretty seriously. 

LouieB

he's one of the goofiest and nicest people i've ever met and seen on stage...

you're entitled to your perception, but I can assure you it is off base.

Just so it is clear, I am not criticizing him that much. I enjoyed the Frames when I saw them. I just found his performance at the Hideout kind of dull.  I think he his a talented guy for sure.

LouieB