I am thinking about going to see this in Baltimore next week. I am a big Frank fan, but have little use for his kids...er...uh, musical creations. But I figure if Dweezil is playing the notes his father wrote with the crack muscianship that the material demands with a great band and not "injecting" his style onto them I might love it. Anybody seen or know about this ensemble? It's in a medium sized club and sorta pricey at 5o bucks a head. I don't want to pay and hate it, otherwise I might as well stay at home for some titties and beer

I read a really sweet blog the other night about this tour. I searched high & low but couldn't find it or else I'd link ya. Needless to say, don't pass it up if it's doable. I don't think you'll be disappointed. A good friend of mine caught them a couple of weeks ago & he said Dweezil was amazing at how he was able to hit the notes his father did. All of the arrangements have been meticulously worked out to remain faithful to the original versions.

I haven't seen Zappa Plays Zappa. But I've heard good things about it. I saw the drummer, Joe Travers, play this summer with Zappa Alum Mike Keneally. It was just phenomenal. Joe was going ZPZ rehearesals that week and just smokin on the Keneally gigs as well. He and MK did the Black Page. (I posted bout it in this forum.) It was in San Pedro and Doug Lunn was playing bass so I had to go. It was 20 bucks but well worth it. Keneally didn't even rehearse with Doug since they have a history.

I think Dweezil really is taking this ZPZ seriously, woodshedding his dads stuff, rehearsing the band . . . a Zappa freak friend saw a previous version of ZPZ and was just raving . . . I think you'll get a real show. And it's nice to have a Zappa in a band playing Zappa.

I only saw Frank 2 times, once at Santa Monica Civic w/ Vai, Wackerman, Mars, Ed Mann etc. and once at the Forum, Joes Garage.

I did see "Banned From Utopia" post Frank. That was awsume

And the Grandmothers at the Lighthouse w/ Chester Tompson (Genesis) and the Fowler Bros. (Tom, Bruce and Walt), Mike Miller . . . that mighta been around 1980 . . . So there have been alumni bands playing Zappa even during much of his own carreer.

I not quite sure why you woudn't want Dweezil to "inject his style" I'm pretty sure he's doing alot note for note, but the Zappa tradition has always included improvisation.

When I saw Banned From Utopia it's was during the whole Bill Clinton/ Monica thing. For the 2nd set they had the Blue Dress complete with "stain" the bouree(sp), the cigar . . . the went into a complete improvised bit, congressional testimony, just hilarious

I would check out the official website and learn about the current lineup Dweezil is using . . . and judge for yourself . . .

I personally have never been disapointed at a real Frank Zappa concert or an Alumni band playing a club

Have seen FZ twice and I wouldn't hesitate to hear Dweezil play his dad's chops.

a little advice.............If Mike Keneally or Steve Vai is there, don't get too close or your face might just melt off.

Good Lord, check out the setlist from Boston last night!

Son of Suzy Creamcheese

Brown Shoes Don't Make It

America Drinks & Goes Home

City of Tiny Lights (enter Ray White)

I Am the Slime

Carolina Hardcore Ecstacy

Advance Romance

Pygmy Twilight

Dumb All Over

What's New in Baltimore

Dupree's Paradise

Uncle Remus

Willie the Pimp

Joe's Garage

Wind Up Working in a Gas Station

San Berdino

Ponybugs at the Dildo Farm (Improv)

The Illinois Enema Bandit

encores:

Cosmic Debris

G-Spot Tornado

Muffin Man

You can see a few Zappa plays Zappa performances and several bits of Dweezil playing Frank's parts on the "Classic Albums: Apostrophe & Overnight Sensation" dvd that came out recently.

There are also some clips of ZPZ on the official site here: www.zappa.com/zpz/videos.html

If it's as good as the Zomby Woof clip, I'd pay for that!

On a related note: does anybody here have any familiarity with Eugene Chadbourne? He's playing here in South Florida w/ Jimmy Carl Black in late September, w/special guests Bogus Pomp (a great FZ cover band). Here's what his website says about the shows:

The Jack and Jim Show play a wonderful combination of styles associated with both players, in most cases creating a transformation into something else. "Willie the Pimp" of Zappa becomes an oldstyle country blues, for example. Jazz, psychedelic rock, standards, blues, country and western, bluegrass, native American Indian music and folk rock are all part of a typical evening with Jack and Jim. Eugene plays guitar, banjo and sings. Jimmy plays drums and sings.

I'm intrigued, but not sure I want to go.

Eugene Chadbourne can be pretty out there. One of his guitars has a toaster for a body. I've seen him make toast while playing, then play guitar with the toast and then hand the remnants of the toast to an audience member seated next to me...someone I knew, who later told me the toast was delicious. When he leaves behind the schtick and plays the guitar in a more conventional manner it becomes obvious that he is a very talented guitarist.

You could almost say Eugene is a comedy version of Nels.

If you're a big Zappa fan I think this would be worth going to see.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
I am thinking about going to see this in Baltimore next week. I am a big Frank fan, but have little use for his kids...er...uh, musical creations. But I figure if Dweezil is playing the notes his father wrote with the crack muscianship that the material demands with a great band and not "injecting" his style onto them I might love it. Anybody seen or know about this ensemble? It's in a medium sized club and sorta pricey at 5o bucks a head. I don't want to pay and hate it, otherwise I might as well stay at home for some titties and beer

I saw this with a friend who is a huge Zappa fan. Both of us thought it was an amazing show. Since then, he's traveled extensively to see this show multiple times.

So my guess is that most die-hard Zappa fans would find this well worth their time.

I took a poor picture of the setlist on my phone. I think this is correct.

Feb 27th Las Vegas HOB

1) Treacherous Cretins

2) 200 Motels Song (????)

3) Penguin In Bondage

4) Inca Roads

5) Lumpy Gravy

6) Cheepnis

7) Billy The Mountain (at least 30 min long)

8) Magic Fingers

9) Duprees Paradise

10) Florentine Pogen

11) Pygmy Twylyte - (Roxy version)

12) Idiot Bastard Son

13) Cletus Awreetus Awrightus

14) The Torture Never Stops

15) Peaches en Regalia

16) Illinois Enema Bandit

17) Uncle Remus

18) Willie The Pimp :yay

Should be noted Ray White was stellar! Dweezil was better than I expected, so I would suggest anyone who enjoys FZ to catch them.

Jay, I envy you so much! Even though I could not make it I was inspired but the Pygmy Twylyte from vegas was not the best clip. However, I'm sure live it was fantastic. SO, after looking around I found this on YT and I have a feeling it has some of the tastes you enjoyed. Thanks for the updates! It was like I was there.......kinda :thumbup

Pygmy Twylyte