Now Watching on YouTube

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How bizarre... Creep live at a fucking Mtv beach house...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnzis-V_K90&feature=related

The 90's were all about the irony...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm2MFQDITLs&feature=feedu

Extremely cool for a couple of reasons. 1. ESPN has a national ad that features the Nashua Garden which is about 5 minutes from where I live. Best sandwiches around. They get fresh braided rolls from the North End in Boston every morning. Yes, there are sandwiches named after Boston sports legends. (just saw it now at 2.a.m. and shocked) 2. It features an actor (the meat cutter) who was in our short film back at Fitchburg State College in 2005. I recognized his voice and did a double take while looking up some MLB scores while watching ESPN no less :stunned .

Can someone explain this commercial to me? I've seen it many times now and I'm still trying to figure out why it's funny (or if it's even supposed to be funny). Specifically, the Esposito reference. Brian? Phil?

Disclaimer: I have never even been to Boston (or Nashua), and I am not conversant in Boston sports lore. However, I do understand capicola.

Can someone explain this commercial to me? I've seen it many times now and I'm still trying to figure out why it's funny (or if it's even supposed to be funny). Specifically, the Esposito reference. Brian? Phil?

Disclaimer: I have never even been to Boston (or Nashua), and I am not conversant in Boston sports lore. However, I do understand capicola.

Well, as I mentioned "Almost" all of the sandwiches are named after Boston sports legends. I think the narrative in this commercial mentions naming a new sandwich after Dustin Pedroia (maybe call it The Laser Show which is what he called his string of consecutive home runs last summer) and what to put on it. The sandwich that the guy comes up with is pretty much The Papi which was named after David Ortiz.

Also, the owner looks exactly like Dave Matthews with grey hair which is surprising because anything DMB related keeps me away from any place, but the sandwiches are too dod damn amazing to keep me away. Actually, this is probably why they named a sandwich after the guy (Doc Ellis who can be seen clearly on the green board) who threw a no hitter on LSD. He sure didn't pitch for Boston.

I get all that, but there's what seems to be a punch line referring to an "Esposito." That's what I'm asking about.

I took to be that Phil Esposito is still held in very high regard by many Bruins fans. He was a little before my time but as a kid I remember seeing bumper stickers around Boston saying "Jesus saves, Esposito scores on the rebound."

I get all that, but there's what seems to be a punch line referring to an "Esposito." That's what I'm asking about.

Well, there seems to be an in joke referring to the amount of sandwiches (4) that have capocollo. Nashua Garden menu

I guess they take a long way to get to the punchline by one guy saying that capocollo is the best and so must be Phil Esposito who has it in his sandwich.

Also, Larry Bird and Rico Petrocelli have capocollo in their sandwich as well which is where maybe the in joke lies. The deli guy must be a Bruins fan to say that he's the best over someone like Larry Bird. Or he's being sarcastic. See how amazing 30 seconds can be? :ninja :cheers

It would be more amazing if it were a joke that anyone outside of New England actually got.

And I'm even old enough to remember Phil Esposito. I figured they were referring to him, but I still don't really understand why this is funny.

All that aside, I would totally eat a sandwich at that place.

It would be more amazing if it were a joke that anyone outside of New England actually got.

And I'm even old enough to remember Phil Esposito. I figured they were referring to him, but I still don't really understand why this is funny.

All that aside, I would totally eat a sandwich at that place.

I disagree a little bit. As I stated, I think the joke refers to people living in a very heavy sports town having a favorite sport (or sports team) to root for. I'm assuming you are from Chicago ( I seem to recall you root for the White Sox). Imagine the commercial set in Chicago where they argue over White Sox vs. Cubs, Blackhawks and the Bears and Bulls. It'd be like saying someone else is the best in Chicago besides Michael Jordan (as an example). It'd ultimately show the depth of talent in that city, much like this commercial tries to accomplish by mentioning Esposito over Ted Williams (who doesn't have a sandwich named after him) or Larry Bird (who does and is more well known). At least that's how I interpret this 30 seconds. I haven't spent this much time discussing 30 seconds, since....well never mind. :stunned

I disagree a little bit. As I stated, I think the joke refers to people living in a very heavy sports town having a favorite sport (or sports team) to root for. I'm assuming you are from Chicago ( I seem to recall you root for the White Sox). Imagine the commercial set in Chicago where they argue over White Sox vs. Cubs, Blackhawks and the Bears and Bulls. It'd be like saying someone else is the best in Chicago besides Michael Jordan (as an example). It'd ultimately show the depth of talent in that city, much like this commercial tries to accomplish by mentioning Esposito over Ted Williams (who doesn't have a sandwich named after him) or Larry Bird (who does and is more well known). At least that's how I interpret this 30 seconds. I haven't spent this much time discussing 30 seconds, since....well never mind. :stunned

And this is why it's not a funny joke. If it requires this much explanation and/or discussion, it doesn't work.