I'm Not There - Soundtrack Revealed?

"I'm Not There" Soundtrack Revealed? Vedder, Jeff Tweedy, Sufjan and Karen O

Wow, just a day after we predicted the soundtrack to the Bob Dylan biopic, "I'm Not There" would likely be a double-disc endeavor, word comes through, that is essentially the case.

Well, at least according to a post on a Pearl Jam forum, that claims the soundtrack is slated for an October 30 release and the 34-track disc will feature Dylan covers performed by Eddie Vedder, Wilco's Jeff Tweedy, The Yeah, Yeah Yeah's Karen O, Cat Power, Willie Nelson, Iron & Wine, Stephen Malkmus, The Hold Steady and Jack Johnson.

Proof? None other than the aforementioned post. But a publicist for Wilco confirmed that Tweedy did in fact record a song for the soundtrack, so this is further likelyhood that this news is true. And the cast of characters is not off the mark from what's already been reported (Cat Power, The Hold Steady, Willie Nelson, Stephen Malkmus). Presumably the other 24 tracks (if the aforementioned artists record one cover each) will include previously mentioned "I'm Not There" musical contributors, Yo La Tengo, My Morning Jacket, Sonic Youth, The Frames and many more (though you'll remember we reported that YLT recorded two Dylan songs).

Vedder for one has been busy this summer, he's also recorded a slew of original songs for the Sean Penn film, "Into The Wild," which is due in September.

Actor Ben Winshaw (who played Keith Richards in the lame Brian Jones biopic "Stoned") recently spoke about his lesser-known role as one of the Dylan's to the London Paper. "I play him in about 1965-66 and I

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is almost guaranteed to be a contender for album of the year.

Sure sounds like it... and the movie, too, seems like it might be among the year's best, if Haynes can pull off the central gimmick.

Oh yeah, I thought Jeff had mentioned something about this at the first LR show this year. If memory serves, the song(s?) weren't anything I've heard him/Wilco cover before. Of course, I could be wrong. At any rate, I've been eager to hear this soundtrack - and the movie's gimmick intrigues me. He's got some pretty great actors on board.

i'm still hoping this will include an official release of Dylan's "I'm Not There (1956)." it's a great fucking song.

I've always heard that was a great one - someone of note said it was their favorite Dylan song, Greil Marcus maybe. You don't happen to have a copy floating in your e-sphere, do you? :D

sounds fantastic

would love to hear Jeff do Love Minus Zero/No Limit

edit: even more curious to see what Malkmus does ;)

I've heard that Malkmus is doing Ballad of a Thin Man. And before that I heard that him and Lee Ranaldo are recreating the 1965 Newport Folk Festival cockfight. should be good either way. I would love to hear wilco or jeff do something off of New Morning particularly Man in Me, New Morning, or Sign on the Window

I would love to hear wilco or jeff do something off of New Morning particularly Man in Me, New Morning, or Sign on the Window

it would be great to hear them crank out a loose take of new morning.

although since I hear its just a jeff recording I am hoping (dreaming) that it will be Spanish Harlem Incident