I'm Not There - Soundtrack Revealed?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim James can't seem to make his voice sound bad no matter what he does.

He does a pretty good job there, of making his voice sound bad anyway.

Kind of disappointed with Jeff's song, a straight cover isn't usually all that interesting, I want to hear the artist put their own stamp on a song - for better or worse. For a cover it's good but compare this one to the Jandek cover, that's more like what I would have liked to see. Not stylistically or anything, just with Jeff being creative about the cover.

Cat Power's was good. Hate Sufjan so I'm sure I'd hate this one too.

I think Nels was involved with this film as well. Probably as a session player on the score, if I had to guess. (Wonder if he'll get credited by name?) Anyway, I'm pretty sure I remember him saying before a New York show earlier this year that he had spent the day recording stuff with Lee Ranaldo and others for the Dylan movie.

I thought I read somewhere recently that Nels is actually on a bunch of the tracks. If only I remembered where...

Edit: Here we go: http://www.marinij.com/ci_7155425. It says Nels is on five of them.

"After the screening, several of the musicians on the soundtrack - Wilco guitarist Nels Cline, who's featured on five tracks, John Doe, "I Think I Saw St. Augustine," and Ramblin' Jack Elliott, "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" - performed in an ambitious and entertaining "Dylan Interpreted" concert produced by Stephanie Clarke and Clare Wasserman at the 142 Throckmorton Theatre."

That would have been fun to see!

I thought I read somewhere recently that Nels is actually on a bunch of the tracks. If only I remembered where...

Edit: Here we go: http://www.marinij.com/ci_7155425. It says Nels is on five of them.

"After the screening, several of the musicians on the soundtrack - Wilco guitarist Nels Cline, who's featured on five tracks, John Doe, "I Think I Saw St. Augustine," and Ramblin' Jack Elliott, "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" - performed in an ambitious and entertaining "Dylan Interpreted" concert produced by Stephanie Clarke and Clare Wasserman at the 142 Throckmorton Theatre."

That would have been fun to see!

yeah i think all of the songs that are credited to someone and "the million dollar bashers" feature nels.

I like that Tweedy makes use of the alternate "Live 1975" lyrics. I also like the "Desire"-era violin accompaniment. Sounds great to me. As do the others.

Ah, is that where that stuff was from. I thought maybe the whole vibe of the movie had gotten into Jeff.

Jesus Christ, Goin' to Acapulco is about as perfect as music gets. One of my favourite songs in the world nailed by one of the best bands of the decade. Can't ask for any more than that.

Jim James and Calexico are one of the best bands of the decade? I wasn't aware that they'd been together for much longer than it took them to record this song. :monkey