I'm Not There - Soundtrack Revealed?

I have never been a huge Dylan fan but I really liked all of the covers on the website. After reading the list of the covers I am highly impressed. I pray that the the band listed as "The Million Dollar Bashers" will make an album. On Wikipedia it lists the members as being:

Sonic Youth stars Lee Ranaldo and Steve Shelley,

Wilco guitarist Nels Cline,

Television guitarist Tom Verlaine,

Dylan bassist Tony Garnier, guitarist Smokey Hormel and keyboardist John Medeski.

I don't know the who heck would sing, but any album that features Nels, Lee Ranaldo, Steve Shelley, and Tom Verlaine, would have to kick arse. I guess Verlaine could sing. He has a decent voice. Maybe they could get Cat Power. I really liked her Dylan cover.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never been a huge Dylan fan but I really liked all of the covers on the website. After reading the list of the covers I am highly impressed. I pray that the the band listed as "The Million Dollar Bashers" will make an album. On Wikipedia it lists the members as being:

Dylan bassist Tony Garnier, guitarist Smokey Hormel and keyboardist John Medeski.

I don't know the who heck would sing, but any album that features Nels, Lee Ranaldo, Steve Shelley, and Tom Verlaine, would have to kick arse. I guess Verlaine could sing. He has a decent voice. Maybe they could get Cat Power. I really liked her Dylan cover.

Sufjan :pirate

Jeebus, that was good. I may never see this movie, but I may well buy this album.

do we know who is the backing band? those called Million Dollar Bashers?

jesus, ring them bells is terrible. not sure i can get through the whole thing.

That's gonna come down to do you like Sufjan or not. I like it. Very nice arrangement if you ask me.

The Cat Power is the one I can't get through. I don't get her at all...

That's gonna come down to do you like Sufjan or not. I like it. Very nice arrangement if you ask me.

The Cat Power is the one I can't get through. I don't get her at all...

That's gonna come down to do you like Cat Power or not. I like it. Very nice arrangement if you ask me.

People all bein' biased 'n' shit. I love Sufjan, but his covers of established artists' songs mostly really suck. He messed up Joni's Free Man in Paris when he covered it recently, too. It's just really overblown.

The other three are great. I'm a fair weather Chan fan - I actually hate her thin-stew acoustic stuff, but I love it when she's got a Stax-style soul band backing her, performing the kind of music to which her voice is actually well suited - but this is just a great recording of a great song. Jim and Jeff nailed their songs. The former sounds unerringly like it did in my head, and Jeff's use of the Live 1975 lyrics, to say nothing of the Dylanesque way he belts out the refrain, was a welcome surprise.

yea i don't really get sufjan. i think everything he sings is shit, and he turns every cover song to shit.

But aren't the best cover songs actual reworkings of the original done in the style of the artist covering it? Just saying, you can't fault the guy for doing them "his" way.