Awhile back I heard an NPR segment about Stax's anniversary, and I really liked what I heard. My music collection is extremely lacking in this area, and I'd like to build it up, but have no idea where to start. I know a few big names (Otis Redding, Sam & Dave, etc.), what else would you recommend for someone that is completely unfamiliar with this genre?

The Complete Stax/Volt Singles Collections are very good, of course. Pricey to buy but available for download via "the pig." Highly recommend that one if you can snag it.

That Sam Cooke 1963 recording previously mention is a must-have. It's sooo good. After hearing it, I go "Okay. I'm good. I can die now. Living long enough to experience that is long enough, if it has to be." That record just really puts you there (brings it on home to you!) and gives you the impression that the energy at that show must have been unbelievable.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Wilson Pickett!

Edit 2: Al Green is definitely one of my faves...that's the tunes to get the romancin' on.

And of course, can't forget James Brown, if you want to get way funky on it. I recommend "The Payback."

what else would you recommend for someone that is completely unfamiliar with this genre?

This.

Seriously.

I believe the discs can be bought individually, but c'mon, take the plunge.

The Complete Stax/Volt Singles Collections are very good, of course. Pricey to buy but available for download via "the pig." Highly recommend that one if you can snag it.

:lol Great minds...

if you like the funkier side of soul, look for something on Desco Records or Soul Fire Records - they're somewhat recent labels that have put out new soul/funk that sounds old... Lee Fields, Whitefield Brothers, JD And The Evil's Dynamite Band, Calypso King And The Soul Investigators, The Fabulous Three... good stuff...

There's some good stuff to pick from already. I'll avoid the more obvious ones (Marvin, Smokey, Aretha, Curtis, James) and throw out a few other favorites of mine:

Millie Jackson - Millie Jackson, Caught Up/Still Caught Up

Bill Withers - Still Bill

Chairmen of the Board - s/t

Doris Duke - I'm a Loser: The Swamp Dogg Sessions... and more

The Baby Huey Story - The Living Legend

Charles Wright - Express Yourself

Sly & the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On, Fresh, Stand...

Terry Callier - What Color Is Love, Occasional Rain

Funkadelic - Music for Your Mother (of course their whole catalog is worth searching out if you want to delve into the Funk)

Prince - Sign 'o' the Times, The Black Album

Ruth Copeland - Self Portrait / I am What I am

Camille Yarbrough - Iron Pot Cooker

Arthur Alexander - Rainbow Road

Okay, that's enough for now :).

Has Ray Charles not been mentioned because he is not considered soul? (I don't think I understand the difference between soul and R&B from that era.)

I guess it goes without saying that you should check him out if you haven't. It's probably impossible to single out one disc, but I think The Best of Ray Charles: The Atlantic Years is a good way to get your feet wet and Genius & Soul: The 50th Anniversary Collection is a good way to jump straight in.