Bruce Springsteen's "Magic" Announcement

you tell me how Bruce, or Dylan, or The Stones can make music like they did in the past, not possible.

take the good with the bad, why be bitter about it.

the last time I checked, Mississippi was one of the best songs Dylan ever wrote.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will tell you that the emotion he put into songs such as Stolen Car/The River move me to tears - the latter songs do not.

You should listen to Straight Time again, or pretty much anything off Ghost.

you tell me how Bruce, or Dylan, or The Stones can make music like they did in the past, not possible.

I can't tell you "how", but sometimes they do. Modern Times is a masterpiece, so is Leonard Cohen's 10 New Songs. :thumbup Van Morrison and Paul Simon also have made some of their best work pretty recently. I wish I could say the same for Neil Young, but it's really all a matter of taste.

can't agree with Simon, or Van.

Fair enough...how about Elvis Costello? Mark Knopfler? XTC? All those guys are pushing in their 50's.

Dylan has had some gems, but we're talking about him making another Highway 61. Has he done that ?

That's just crazy man. A record like H61 or BoB comes along once in a generation. But if you mean in the sense that Modern Times is the finest record of this decade, then I say Hell YES. And TOOM/L&T/MT stands with any three consecutive releases by anyone, the only comparable output I can think of would be Wilco.

Fair enough...how about Elvis Costello? Mark Knopfler? XTC? All those guys are pushing in their 50's.

That's just crazy man. A record like H61 or BoB comes along once in a generation. But if you mean in the sense that Modern Times is the finest record of this decade, then I say Hell YES. And TOOM/L&T/MT stands with any three consecutive releases by anyone, the only comparable output I can think of would be Wilco.

EXACTLY ! that's my arguement with A-Man. He's saying how Bruce's later work isn't as good as his newer stuff.

I agrued that it's impossible to make a great record every time.

as much as I love Elvis, Knopfler, and XTC, their work isn't as strong as thier first few records.

When particular work by a particular artist gives me so much, it can be difficult for me to appreciate that artist's later work. Sometimes there's no point in trying.

I hear what you're saying. I think most artists appreciate that too, and often try to work harder to create music that's still vibrant or relevant. Sometimes it works.

Gotta keep an open mind....

I think that dude still has the fire and passion - but the lyrics just don't get me. And looking at the song titles of that new record does not give me much hope. I hope I am wrong - just as I hope the next R.E.M. is not a stinker.

The last few Dylan records have been very "meh". The fact that people describe them as masterpieces just goes to show how little we actually expect of him anymore.

The last few Dylan records have been very "meh". The fact that people describe them as masterpieces just goes to show how little we actually expect of him anymore.

How long have you been a Dylan fan?

I can't tell you "how", but sometimes they do. Modern Times is a masterpiece, so is Leonard Cohen's 10 New Songs. :thumbup Van Morrison and Paul Simon also have made some of their best work pretty recently. I wish I could say the same for Neil Young, but it's really all a matter of taste.

I thought Prarie Wind was pretty good. Living With War sucked but it seems like he's putting out another one soon

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/44...eil-young-album

I don't know about "the last few Dylan albums", but I certainly feel that the response to Modern Times shows me that he could've released Down In The Groove last year and it would have drawn the same glowing reviews.

Actually, my "it's okay" argument is sort of hypocritical, since I'm basically doing the same thing as you from the opposite direction. Hell, maybe Modern Times is a masterpiece, but I don't hear it. I like it though.

Those song titles make me think of Human Touch/Lucky Town. I think he is another one on the list of bands I will probably not buy any cds of again. I don't really care for much of his stuff past The River.

Tunnel of Love?

The Ghost of Tom Joad?

Nebraska?

Geez A-man...I have no idea of what to say to you here.

2 years, and it doesn't matter.

Sure it does. Your claim that "we" have come to expect so little of Dylan comes off pretty arrogant and condescending - at 19 I didn't think you'd have been a listener in say, 2001 when Love & Theft was issued. That's fine, but it renders your comments somewhat less than credible. Maybe show a bit of respect in your comments, both for the artist and the rest of us. 2 years is barely adequate to appreciate that body of work anyway, imho.

No offense intended, I just get a bit bothered by flippant comments, especially when the subject is Bob Dylan. B)

I've definitely always wanted to see him. As long as he plays "Rosalita" I'll be happy.

He hasn't played that one but once in the last several tours.