Bruce Springsteen's "Magic" Announcement

You are right - I forgot that one.There is no way you can tell me that Human Touch/Lucky Town/Born In The U.$.A./Tunnel Of Love/The Rising are as good as the earlier stuff.

Tunnel of Love is masterful

Human Touch was torpedoed by the production (good songs on there)

Lucky Town is very good

Born in the USA and The Rising are inseparable from their back storys and the rampant hype.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, Tunnel of Love is fantastic, though it has a bit of filler. Nebraska is a masterpiece. The Ghost of Tom Joad is good (though not great). I've not heard Devils & Dust.

I don't have much use for anything else Springsteen's done since The River. I thought The Rising was pretty awful, and Human Touch and Lucky Town bored me so much that I sold them to a used CD store (something I rarely do).

Born in the U.S.A. had some decent tunes, but I hated the production, especially the keyboards -- for the first time, that huge band sounded like overkill, which they had somehow avoided until then.

I

Born in the U.S.A. had some decent tunes, but I hated the production, especially the keyboards -- for the first time, that huge band sounded like overkill, which they had somehow avoided until then.

Ever hear the Nebraska demos-(Alone In Colt's Neck)??? simply wow!

-Robert.

He hasn't played [Rosalita] but once in the last several tours.

Not sure what last several tours you are including, but I must've seen that one as they played it in Milwaukee when I saw them in 2003 ... 'twas fun.

Not sure what last several tours you are including, but I must've seen that one as they played it in Milwaukee when I saw them in 2003 ... 'twas fun.

I just remember the furor over fans holding up signs requesting Rosalita and Bruce's almost pathological reaction to them during the Rising tour.

I have to say I disagree with that deal.

:ohwell

Hey Nerdy; just wanted to clarify, I didn't mean respect us "because we're your elders" or any such BS. I just meant give us some credit as intelligent music fans.

That's all....back to your regular sked.

Oh yeah-- Ghost Of Tom Joad is an imperfect, but nevertheless amazing record. One of Bruce's most significant releases. Very much in the vein of Nebraska and very nearly its' equal...

Hey Nerdy; just wanted to clarify, I didn't mean respect us "because we're your elders" or any such BS. I just meant give us some credit as intelligent music fans.

That's all....back to your regular sked.

Oh yeah-- Ghost Of Tom Joad is an imperfect, but nevertheless amazing record. One of Bruce's most significant releases. Very much in the vein of Nebraska and very nearly its' equal...

I understand what you are saying, but I just feel like there was a bit too much hype for Modern Times. I listened to it a few times, and it wasn't much to write home about, and yet it was being talked about like it was a masterpiece. I just didn't care for it, and I thought it was more a product of it not being awful, and people having low expectations.

Or not low expectations, but ratherbeing much more forgivable of it's flaws. If he released Modern Times in 1965, it would've been panned.

He played "Rosalita" nearly every show on the Rising Tour in August through October 2003.

>I've definitely always wanted to see him. As long as he plays "Rosalita" I'll be happy.

>He hasn't played that one but once in the last several tours.

I understand what you are saying, but I just feel like there was a bit too much hype for Modern Times. I listened to it a few times, and it wasn't much to write home about, and yet it was being talked about like it was a masterpiece. I just didn't care for it, and I thought it was more a product of it not being awful, and people having low expectations.

Or not low expectations, but ratherbeing much more forgivable of it's flaws. If he released Modern Times in 1965, it would've been panned.

I disagree with everything you said.

I would hold Modern Times up to any of Dylan's 60's output. I think in many ways it may be the best thing he's done. "Spirit on the Water" is a stone cold classic imo.

If "Magic" is half as good I'll be thrilled.

You're right; but keep in mind, everything Dylan did in '65 and '66 was panned-- if not by the critics, then certainly by the folk elite and by many of his early fans. ;)

He was harshly accused of selling out. And very wrongly as it turned out.

The point being that he marches to his own drumbeat, always has. He's always said he makes the art for himself and not the audience. And he's talked about how impossible it is to write songs like those, check the Ed Bradley 60 Mins interview. At this stage in his career I think he's a lot more interested in staying in the scene (i.e. touring), keeping his bands employed, and making solid records occasionally.... than in impressing us with his songwriting prowess.

Yep....get back to me when you've written a song that compares to Nettie Moore, or Workingman Blues. I'll be happy to eat some crow. :rolleyes

Yep....get back to me when you've written a song that compares to Nettie Moore, or Workingman Blues. I'll be happy to eat some crow. :rolleyes

Nah, what I mean is, I love it. And I've just accepted that some don't. Ain't nothing wrong with it. So, I will just call them big dummyheads or doofuses and be done with. They don't have to write a song that compares to Nettie Moore for me to eat crow. Nettie Moore will still be a great song to me either way, and it won't be to them. ;)

I know...I didn't mean you. I meant "you", as in anyone who can do it. lol

People seem to forget that [it] may not be the best Dylan (or Springsteen) song ever penned, but it's still a motherfucker. If they can even sit down and play & sing it convincingly, I'll be mighty impressed.

He played "Rosalita" nearly every show on the Rising Tour in August through October 2003.

>I've definitely always wanted to see him. As long as he plays "Rosalita" I'll be happy.

>He hasn't played that one but once in the last several tours.

My bad...checking Brucebase has definitely shown that I am incorrect on this point.

However, I distinctly remember that he was most adamant about NOT playing it in the early stages of the tour.