Bruce Springsteen's "Magic" Announcement

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep....get back to me when you've written a song that compares to Nettie Moore, or Workingman Blues. I'll be happy to eat some crow. :rolleyes

I'm pretty sure most of the people on this board couldn't even write a song as good as "Mmmbop". Does that mean none of us can discuss anything?

Pearl Jam

It does, doesn't it. It's modern day Pearl Jam though, which is the type of Pearl Jam that I don't like.

What Bruce has lost, to me (which is why I don't like any of his new stuff) is any sense of humour or swing to his music, trouble is though, that he's not even dark anymore either (like most of Nebraska for example) - he's just stuck in some middle ground of ineffectuality . . . I mean - "Radio Nowhere!" To me, that's just a big bunch of 'sucky-boom-fucky'

Brendan hasn't worked with Pearl Jam since 1998...

and probably for the worst too, they need to bring him back on board

it sounds more like a sped up and heavier Tom Petty song than Pearl Jam to me (don't hear it really at all honestly)

Brendan hasn't worked with Pearl Jam since 1998...

and probably for the worst too, they need to bring him back on board

it sounds more like a sped up and heavier Tom Petty song than Pearl Jam to me (don't hear it really at all honestly)

Maybe the appropriate comparison is Tom Petty sounds like a slowed down Bruce.

Maybe the appropriate comparison is Tom Petty sounds like a slowed down Bruce.

or... how about that both Bruce & Petty owe a TON to Dylan, and thus draw similiar comparisons at times because their of their main influence? :)

The predominant riff/progression owes something to Message in a Bottle

play them both though and they're quite different... MiaB is a huge stretch to play for one ;)

but you're right, they are a somewhat similiar progression

I would hold Modern Times up to any of Dylan's 60's output.

UHHHHH. You mean if you hadn't ever heard any of it, right? Okay, whew.

MT is minor Dylan, not to be taken seriously. Probably one of his ten weakest efforts. There just aren't any songs on it. To say that it stands shoulder to shoulder with even his '90s highs, let alone any of his '60s or '70s output, is more than mere folly. S'ignorant.

And the new Boss tune is a piece of shit. I'm kind of not surprised, sadly. There's nothing to it, and the poster who expressed frustration over Bruce being stuck in a triple-A, middle-ground wasteland is absolutely right. His last good album was Tom Joad, and his last great one was, shit, probably Tunnel of Love.

And the new Boss tune is a piece of shit. I'm kind of not surprised, sadly. There's nothing to it, and the poster who expressed frustration over Bruce being stuck in a triple-A, middle-ground wasteland is absolutely right. His last good album was Tom Joad, and his last great one was, shit, probably Tunnel of Love.

wrong.

it's a straight ahead 3 min rock song, does everything have to be some kind of musical statement ?

shit, I love it

that's just dumb. the boss has proven in the past he has something to say in his music & should do so in every song. get with it man