• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:dontgetit

I avoid most anything Neil from the 80's (even Freedom) so this is pretty awful to my ears. Are we just supposed to ignore that terrible synth? Really curious to hear how this will match up with the rest of the record now...

i agree! this is utterly ridiculous for neil to do. it's one thing to release an archive, but a song recorded in the 80s with that terrible sound and release it as new. unacceptable. especially 80 minutes worth. god that synth is aweful. i mean, who sat down and said, hey this sounds great. really. i mean there is just nothing to look forward to anymore. artists are so god damn dissappointing!

Do we know for sure that this is the album version of the song? If so, consider me disappointed.

It seems wildly idiosyncratic, even for NY, to plop a 19 year-old recording next to a bunch of newly minted ones on a brand spankin' fresh record. At least he recorded a new version of, say Silver & Gold when he cut Silver & Gold (still his best of the decade, he said, waving happily to those silly, silly Greendale fans in the crowd).

Silver & Gold is indeed his best this decade, but i still love Greendale

only '00 album of Neil's i've not liked a ton was Are You Passionate, which had 2 killer songs, and some decent love songs, just not my thing fully.

What is the other killer song besides goin home to you? I'm just wondering because i'll give it a shot again. Only one that stood out to me was Goin Home ( i have to assume that is one of your two)

As for the tour i read that the show will last 4 hours

Pegi young opener

Neil young solo acoustic first set

Neil with the band for second set

What is the other killer song besides goin home to you? I'm just wondering because i'll give it a shot again. Only one that stood out to me was Goin Home ( i have to assume that is one of your two)

As for the tour i read that the show will last 4 hours

Pegi young opener

Neil young solo acoustic first set

Neil with the band for second set

that and i think Be With You

And here's a blurb from RS:

"In addition to giving you the scoop

on the Canadian rock icon's sequel to a record that never saw release,

the piece now includes an MP3 of the tune "Ordinary People," the

gorgeous eighteen-minute epic Young ORIGINALLY RECORDED IN 1988 and

played frequently during that year's This Note's For You

tour. "Ordinary People" will be released for the first time on Chrome

Dreams II."

damn...

thanks at least :)

while i like it, the synths are def super cheesey and it's gonna stick out like a sore thumb amongst the other 2007 tracks IMO...

You may be right, although I'm starting to wonder now if the track sequencing isn't meant to hide that somewhat.

Since Ordinary People is a 20-year old recording, I'd imagine that Beautiful Bluebird (the opener) and Box Car (second track, preceding OP in the running order) are also the original recordings. So maybe Neil's dropping us in the wayback machine before easing us into the new millenium by track number 4?

You may be right, although I'm starting to wonder now if the track sequencing isn't meant to hide that somewhat.

Since Ordinary People is a 20-year old recording, I'd imagine that Beautiful Bluebird (the opener) and Box Car (second track, preceding OP in the running order) are also the original recordings. So maybe Neil's dropping us in the wayback machine before easing us into the new millenium by track number 4?

apparently when they said "3 tracks are old", they did mean old, not just written years ago either ;)

link:

http://download.rbn.com/rstone/rstone/down...inarypeople.mp3

apparently when they said "3 tracks are old", they did mean old, not just written years ago either ;)

link:

Man, why couldn't you have linked that 40 minutes ago? I just recorded the whole thing on my computer from the RS page. :)

Thanks. That will make for easier, um...distribution.

link:

this is just getting worse by the minute. if Beautiful Bluebird is the original recording then that's it! An Old Ways outtake on a new album. God dammit Neil!! should've just thrown in some Landing On Water and Everybody's Rockin outtakes as well. Would've made for a great 'new' album. Neil has all this amazing shit from the 70s and he releases tunes from two of his most unpopular times. I mean, the bluenotes was a joke and neil knew it. That's why we got the comeback with Freedom, Ragged Glory and Harvest Moon. Now some may think these aren't great, but they were better than any 80s Neil. Which I like actually. But I liked it in the 80s. Maybe Geffen did have a case against Neil in the 80s.

Really wishing Neil just put out an EP of the new tunes or something.

this is just getting worse by the minute. if Beautiful Bluebird is the original recording then that's it! An Old Ways outtake on a new album. God dammit Neil!! should've just thrown in some Landing On Water and Everybody's Rockin outtakes as well. Would've made for a great 'new' album. Neil has all this amazing shit from the 70s and he releases tunes from two of his most unpopular times. I mean, the bluenotes was a joke and neil knew it. That's why we got the comeback with Freedom, Ragged Glory and Harvest Moon. Now some may think these aren't great, but they were better than any 80s Neil. Which I like actually. But I liked it in the 80s. Maybe Geffen did have a case against Neil in the 80s.

Really wishing Neil just put out an EP of the new tunes or something.

I'll respectfully disagree here. The LPs themselves were certainly nothing to write home about, but I saw NY w/ the Harvesters, the Shocking Pinks, and the Bluenotes back then & it was pretty damn good. I saw a version of Ordinary People in '88 & it just blew me away! It'll be nice to have a clean take on this, as the live version I have from that show is just ok quality.