the all-new NFL thread

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear cod let this rumor be true. :pray

It's true. Lovie will officially announce today at his press conference. I have always been a Grossman backer, but this year's performance is unacceptable. I was at the game on Sunday and it was painful. People were throwing shit at Rex as he left the field.

Personally, I am more worried about the injuries on the defense. If the Bears are missing a few guys, they might have a hard time with Detroit.

I was a Grossman backer for too long ... I really believed he'd come out with guns blazing this season. Instead, he's sucked. Maybe he's just not cut out for this business.

Griese isn't a major upgrade, but he gets the job done and doesn't make too many stupid mistakes.

Come to think of it, that is a major upgrade.

The Bears don't need a great quarterback, they just need someone who won't fuck it up for the defense. I think Griese can handle that.

I hope you're right. I have a feeling he won't make many mistakes, but they're going to need better performances from the offensive line and Benson to have much of a chance at anything this year. Plus, the injuries on defense could be a real problem.

Considering that the Bears haven't had a great quarterback in my lifetime, I'm a little tired of QBs who are no better than not fucking it up for the defense.
I agree. Unfortunately, there aren't many great quarterbacks. And, the one year they had a top 5 pick there wasn't much available at the QB position (Alex Smith went #1, then it dropped to Aaron Rodgers).
Damn it. Right before the Lions too. I thought we'd have a decent chance with Rex in.
Since when is Brian Griese any good?
As of today, the Bears have four former defensive pro-bowlers injured with one out for the season. I don' think they'll do much this year.

Maybe this will be a good thing. They can get a QB high in the draft. Out of curiosity, who will be available next year?

Falcons QB Vick tests positive for marijuana; judge imposes tighter restrictions on freedom

By KRISTEN GELINEAU, Associated Press Writer

September 26, 2007

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- A federal judge placed tighter restrictions on Michael Vick on Wednesday after the Atlanta Falcons quarterback tested positive for marijuana.

Because of the result, U.S. District Judge Henry Hudson placed special conditions on Vick's release, including restricting him to his home between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. with electronic monitoring and ordering him to submit to random drug testing.

The urine sample was submitted Sept. 13, according to a document by a federal probation officer that was filed in U.S. District Court on Wednesday.

Vick, who has admitted bankrolling a dogfighting operation on property he owns in Surry County in his written federal plea, is scheduled for sentencing Dec. 10. He faces up to five years in prison.

On Tuesday, Vick also was indicted on state charges of beating or killing or causing dogs to fight other dogs and engaging in or promoting dogfighting. Each felony is punishable by up to five years in prison.

The 27-year-old former Virginia Tech star was placed under pretrial release supervision by U.S. Magistrate Dennis Dohnal in July. The restrictions included refraining from use or unlawful possession of narcotic drugs or other controlled substances.

The random drug testing ordered Wednesday could include urine testing, the wearing of a sweat patch, a remote alcohol testing system or any form of prohibited substance screening or testing.

Hudson's order also requires Vick to participate in inpatient or outpatient substance therapy and mental health counseling, if the pretrial services officer or supervising officer deem it appropriate. Vick must pay for the treatment.

Vick's attorney, Billy Martin, did not immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment.

In January, Vick was cleared by police of any wrongdoing after his water bottle was seized by security at Miami International Airport. Police said it smelled of marijuana and had a hidden compartment that contained a "small amount of dark particulate."

Lab tests found no evidence of drugs, and Vick explained that he used the secret compartment to carry jewelry.

The federal dogfighting case began in late April when authorities conducting a drug investigation of Vick's cousin raided the property and seized dozens of dogs, most of them pit bulls, and equipment commonly associated with dogfighting.

Six weeks later, when the local investigation seemed to be dragging and a local search warrant was allowed to expire, federal agents arrived with their own warrants and started digging up dog carcasses buried days before the first raid.

Vick has admitted helping kill six to eight dogs, among other things. His three co-defendants also have pleaded guilty. One of them, Quanis Phillips, failed a drug test and was ordered jailed after his plea.

Future Heisman winner John David Booty? :stunned

:lol It's bad enough that Rick Mirer and Cade McNown have both been Bears. If they end up with Booty, I'm going to find another team to cheer for.

Unless he turns out to be really good, of course. ;)

Maybe this will be a good thing. They can get a QB high in the draft. Out of curiosity, who will be available next year?

Brian Brohm (sp?) from Louisville, John David Booty from USC and Colt Brennan (sp?) from Hawaii.