the all-new NFL thread

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chad Johnson is something else
yeah, he's a huge asshole.

Chad Johnson makes the NFL fun to watch. His celebrations do not humilate the other teams and they aren't mean spirited. He is nothing like TO or Joe Horne. The guy has fun, is a team player at the same time, and is one of the NFL's best recievers.

Chad Johnson makes the NFL fun to watch. His celebrations do not humilate the other teams and they aren't mean spirited. He is nothing like TO or Joe Horne. The guy has fun, is a team player at the same time, and is one of the NFL's best recievers.

the only thing I'll agree with, is that he's one of the league's best receivers.

They should forfeit the game.

As a Pats fan, I find it disturbing.

And to quote Deadspin, "it's like Lisa Simpson peaking at Ralph Wiggum's test answers."

Very Yankees-eqsue.

Photographic Evidence

If the circled guy is indeed a Pats employee, that's pretty blatant. He's aiming the camera right at the coaches and players on the sidelines.

Oh well, I'm pretty certain the Pats are not alone in this type of chicanery.

Edit: Probably Photoshop, right? I don't think a Pats employee could be on the Jets sideline. Nonetheless, the NFL is supposed to have some sort of photographic evidence.

This is a stupid rule. It's on the books, so I guess there should be some kind of (minimal) punishment for violating it, but then let's ditch it. If you don't want the other team to steal your signals, develop a better system for communicating them.

King Kaufman makes much the same point in his column today for Salon.com:

Pats sneak camera into super-secret location: The field

The fracas over the New England Patriots "spying" on the New York Jets during Sunday's game in New Jersey is an early leader for dumbest controversy of the year honors' date=' though to be fair Terrell Owens hasn't even started warming up yet.

NFL security officials confiscated a video camera and tape from a Patriots employee who had been pointing the camera at the Jets bench. The league has a rule against teams having video recording devices in the coach's booth, the locker room or on the field during games.

Why does the league have that rule? For the same reason it has a rule governing the length of players' socks. The NFL likes rules.

So the league is investigating, there is word of similar incidents involving the Patriots in Detroit and Green Bay last year, and the Patriots could be in danger of losing future draft picks or even having to forfeit the game, which they won 38-14.

Let's not get into the cloak and dagger details because, really, who cares? If there's a rule against video cameras and the Pats had a video camera, let 'em pay, though talk of forfeiture is beyond overkill. The last time an NFL game was forfeited was in 1921, the year before the American Professional Football Association changed its name. This can't possibly have been the most serious game-day rule violation since then.

Punish the Patriots if that's what it takes to keep the suits -- and various Pats haters around the world -- happy. Then get rid of that rule.

What the Pats are accused of doing is "spying" on the Jets coaches as they sent signals to the defense. My understanding of spying must be different from the NFL's. Watching a guy flapping his arms while standing in the middle of 70,000 people and in front of a national TV audience doesn't qualify. Even if you point a camera at him.

I mean another camera, aside from all the legal cameras that can be pointed at him.

For the price of a ticket -- assuming the Patriots as an organization can't find a free ticket somewhere -- the Pats can put a guy in Row 12 with a video camera and record the opposing team's defensive signals to their heart's content. But because the guy's standing on the sidelines it's cheating? Kinda nutty, don't you think?

The Patriots may have been trying to steal the Jets' signals for immediate or future use, but there's nothing wrong with stealing signals. It's a fine and respectable art. If it weren't, teams wouldn't need signals that are coded.

The problem is when teams get sneaky about it, hiding a spy in some cranny of the home stadium that the visitors don't have access to or using listening devices to spy on huddles or locker-room meetings. Where a team has an expectation of privacy, it should get privacy. A guy standing on the sideline and flashing semaphores to the middle linebacker can't expect privacy. Again: That's why the signals are coded. That's why the code should be changed every now and again.

The Jets and Patriots are bitter rivals who aren't shy about accusing each other of all kinds of dastardly deeds, so it's worth noting that this accusation came from the league, not the Jets, and that the Jets don't seem to be using it as an excuse for having their hats handed to them on Sunday. I don't think the Jets have a signal, after all, for "let Ellis Hobbs run a kickoff back 108 yards."

If what the Patriots did to the Jets Sunday is cheating, then what the Pittsburgh Steelers did to the Cleveland Browns is cheating too.

The Steelers had way better football players. Is that fair?[/quote']

Interesting argument. It seems like with so many ways to use technology to steal signals, we need the rule now more than ever. Do you think it's ok to steal signal or that it's just irresponsible not to obscure them better?

Interesting argument. It seems like with so many ways to use technology to steal signals, we need the rule now more than ever. Do you think it's ok to steal signal or that it's just irresponsible not to obscure them better?

I think it's part of the game, and if you don't want them stolen, it's on you to make them harder to steal.

It's part of the game is not a good argument. Lots of pitchers would tell you that doing lots of things to the ball is part of the game.

I see the point though and I see that stealing signals is different than bugging the away locker room or hacking into the headset channel, but using a video camera seems to have crossed the line of just stealing signals. Depending on their defense, I've lost respect for Belicheck.

good news:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7216176?MSNHPHMA

Bills' Everett voluntarily moves arms, legs

Associated Press, Updated 17 hours ago

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - Kevin Everett voluntarily moved his arms and legs on Tuesday when partially awakened, prompting a neurosurgeon to say the Buffalo Bills' tight end would walk again