I often hear people saying that they'll swap out 6L6s for EL34s? Is that correct? What kind of function does changing tube (sizes?) numbers do? I have a Fender Blues Deluxe and it has 3 12ax7 tubes and 2 6L6 tubes. Anyway, my buddy got me 3 pairs of new tubes 1 Mesa Engineering, 1 Soldano and one....that I can't remember. Does anyone know how much a tube's brand will change my sound?

Some tubes are interchangeable, it's always a good idea to check the specs (plate current, etc).

Tube Data Sheets

Different brands will usually sound a little different. Unless they were made on the same production line. :)

Also, determine if the amp is self-biasing or if you need to get a meter and set bias manually.

Bias is the set amount of current flowing through a tube's filaments with or w/out signal present.

Bias set too high or too low will result in shortened tube life and/or shortened AMP life...

Also, never pull a tube while an amp is on or cooling down, and you shouldn't disconnect the speaker (or cabinet) while the amp is on.

Most will survive this because of built in protection, but the old rule was that an "open" circuit was death for a tube amp.

I have a friend who i know swaps the 6l6's out because that hot rod deluxe is notorious for going from real quiet to too damn loud intstantly. I cannot recommend a replacement tube however...

j

Hmmm.....mines does the same thing. There is a HUGE volume jump around 2-3 on the knob. It sounds like going from 1 - 7. What kind of tubes did your friend use in place?

EDIT: Like -- size, number, brand?

Hmmm.....mines does the same thing. There is a HUGE volume jump around 2-3 on the knob. It sounds like going from 1 - 7. What kind of tubes did your friend use in place?

EDIT: Like -- size, number, brand?

ill look into it...

j