Anyone else see it, I loved it. Not perfect, but damn solid and inspiring, a movie for me that reminded why I wanna do this. The leads R.C. & C.B. are really good, but Ben Foster as Charlie Prince almost steals the show.

Bring on the Assassination of Jesse James, I love the western genre, great to see it alive

Anyone else see it, I loved it. Not perfect, but damn solid and inspiring, a movie for me that reminded why I wanna do this. The leads R.C. & C.B. are really good, but Ben Foster as Charlie Prince almost steals the show.

Bring on the Assassination of Jesse James, I love the western genre, great to see it alive

Did they play the There Will Be Blood trailer at the showing you went to?

yes.

NO There Will Be Blood trailer, although I was praying for it, but no dice yet.

Apparently some theaters were going to show it before 3:10 to Yuma. We didn't get a chance to go this weekend. I ended up watching the full trailer online over the weekend though. Well I actually watched it four times. I can't wait for Dec. 26.

thank you Deadwood for changing the way we watch Westerns. I never watched them until Deadwood. I would love to see this flick and There Will Be Blood.

Really?

I think one could write a book on the ending of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Here's an odd one for you: The Stranger and the Gunfighter

Good, Bad and Ugly is a good one, I just was never in to Westerns. my husband always watched them - any time Jose Wales was on, he would be watching it. I couldn't stand them until I saw Deadwood - totally hooked! the finale of season one was on Saturday night. :wub

A handful of westerns, that are must see

UNFORGIVEN

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST

THE SEARCHERS

HIGH NOON

THE WILD BUNCH

THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALENCE

there are more, but if you don't know many, please see these

awesome list, and I'll add The Shootist and The Undefeated, as they're my favorite Wayne films.

Ditto on all the above. Unfortunately, Westerns, and their inherent mythic qualities, have become passe, to the point that new ones are routinely mocked for being old-fashioned--as if old fashions are invalid merely for being old. Still, as with the slasher genre, I think there's more going on under the image in Westerns than simply good-versus-evil parables. The genre lends itself to elemental formulas, but also uniquely American meditations on landscape, architecture, human destiny (some movies unfortunately confuse this with Manifest Destiny), modernity, existentialism (aren't most great Westerns existential?), vulnerability, the sins of the past, hatred, violence, corruption, etc.

A lot of great Westerns already mentioned in this thread, but we must add director Anthony Mann to the list. For my money, Mann's Man of the West, The Man from Laramie, and The Naked Spur are better than anything John Ford ever did (they might be my three favorite Westerns of all-time). And his Winchester '73, Bend of the River, Tin Star, and The Far Country are right up there, too.

I'd also add Hawks' Red River, Wyler's The Big Country, Jones' The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (does that count?), Vidor's Duel in the Sun, Marshall's Destry Rides Again, Altman's McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Grant's Angel and the Badman, Farrow's Hondo, Peckinpah's Ride the High Country, and even Costner's Open Range.

Did they play the There Will Be Blood trailer at the showing you went to?

Yep... looks very, very promising. :thumbup

I don't know if you are into the Arcade Fire at all, but this is amazing

*warning, if anyone hasn't seen the ending to "Once Upon a Time in the West" don't follow the link.

I don't care for them - but I will check that out.