the soccer thread

I watched most of the second half of the U.S.-North Korea match this morning, and I have to say, the Americans were fortunate to survive with a draw. The North Koreans were relentless.

Hope Solo made a terrible rookie mistake on the first Korean goal (I don't care how wet it was, as a former goalkeeper myself, I know there's no excuse for that), but she redeemed herself somewhat with a few terrific saves later in the match.

The best thing to happen all day for the Americans was Nigeria managing to tie Sweden.

Also: Germany 11, Argentina 0? Are you kidding me?

As for EURO 2008 qualifying, this morning I saw some highlights of England's win over Israel. Looks like Michael Owen's still got it, regardless of what some people say.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i didn't watch it. for some reason, i've been completely checked out on knowing anything about anything relating to the women's world cup (and i attended the last one). huh. wish i had known it was on, i was up at the wee hours of the morning with serious insomnia. ah well. thanks for the recap.

I attended two days of matches at Soldier Field in '99, but didn't get to any of them in 2003. It's not the same without Hamm and Foudy and Fawcett and Milbrett and Chastain, but this is another damn good team.

I think the Americans' main problem is that the rest of the world is already starting to catch up to them. I mean, who cared about German women's soccer before 2003? Now they're terrifying. And North Korea? WTF? Where did they come from?

That's OK ... makes for some exciting matches. :)

Dammit, isadorah, I'm serious. I'm closing this fucking thread if there's any more talk of the S-word. Keep that shit in the other thread.

uh oh, did someone not have their wheaties this morning? :ermm don't make me have to get my wand out...

The U.S. women won their second match of the World Cup today, 2-0 vs. Sweden, and Abby Wambach scored both goals.

Nice to see they've recovered their form after getting rattled a bit by North Korea. :yes

I watched the Korea DPR match with one of my kids on teusday night, and the Sweden match is on at 5:00 tonight on one of the espn's and I know he wants to see it. (either espn2 or classic, i forget) All the US matches are being rebroadcast the night after.

:huh Did not know that. Cool that they're letting us see them at more "normal" hours. I've watched the second halves of a few matches live this week after waking up in the morning.

So ... I guess maybe I should change the thread title to warn about potential spoilers.

So, the U.S. women survived the group stage, making a first-minute goal by Lori Chalupny hold up against Nigeria. Sweden beat North Korea 2-1, but I believe the North Koreans will advance on goal differential. So the # 3 team in the world (Sweden) won't advance.

By winning their group outright, the U.S. avoid a quarterfinals matchup with defending champions Germany ... but that North Korea-Germany match should be a barn burner.

This has been pretty exciting stuff so far. I hope I can watch some of the elimination rounds live (I had to track the U.S.-Nigeria match on FIFA.com's matchcast).

This, from a native of the Land of Road Bowling.

I hardly think that road bowling originated here. As it is I have never seen it preformed live so to speak.

Is anyone watching the Rubgy World Cup? Anyone? What a non event.