the soccer thread

OK, I take that back ... this really is one of the most atrocious jobs of refereeing I've ever seen.

The yellow card on David Villa was a total fucking joke. The guy lost his footing and fell down, but because he had the misfortune to do so in the Italian penalty area, he got a yellow for diving.

I hope FIFA never gives this clown another high-profile assignment.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dusting off this ancient thread for some exciting news from Germany: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11891/13113740/xabi-alonso-leads-bayer-leverkusen-to-first-bundesliga-title  

Posted Images

OK, I take that back ... this really is one of the most atrocious jobs of refereeing I've ever seen.

The yellow card on David Villa was a total fucking joke. The guy lost his footing and fell down, but because he had the misfortune to do so in the Italian penalty area, he got a yellow for diving.

I hope FIFA never gives this clown another high-profile assignment.

I can

i am a die hard fan of the Italian national team, and i have to say that Spain deserved it. Italy played very well defensively, but did little else...we were inconsistent throughout the tournament, and there was never any team chemistry. the absence of Cannavaro and Pirlo was huge. congrats to Spain...beware of Russia though. this is a different team than the one that lost 4-1. they are peaking at the right time.

i agree that there was a lot of diving today, but Spain is equally guilty. i've been playing soccer my whole life, and it's my favorite sport, but this is what bothers me the most. they are the biggest pussies sometimes, and, yes, Toni is the biggest one of them all.

So yes all of my predictions were wrong, but I can still defend them. But won't . I did not get to see the Italy game live, so had to watch it on tape, but ESPN cut most of the second half, so I missed from 45-80 mins. So I cannot really say anything about the game. The penalty selections of the Italians were terrible, not having Pirlo made a huge impact in that situation. I am glad Holland were dropped out by one of their own, in Hiddink. I will make not predictions about the final match up.

No player, out side of the the Russian forward Andrei Arshavin has made a name for himself in this tournament. This disappoints me. I wish more players would come to the forefront at these tournaments, but when most teams go with age over youth it is hard.

Anyone have thoughts on the ongoing C. Ronaldo saga? If I were Man U. I would kick him out the door.

Good luck to Spain, Turkey, Russia, and Germany.

Spain had the better of it in the first half, I'd say. They were pretty atrocious at finishing, though -- with the chances they had, they could easily be up three goals or more by now. The goal they did get was something of a fluke.

We'll see if the Germans can amp up their offensive pressure and get the equalizer ... but honestly, though I have often sided with Deutschland in the past, I'm pulling for Spain in this one.

I ran that through Babel Fish and came up with this (imperfect, but should give the gist of it):

The immigration laws that surely allow the entrance in Spain of originating people of other countries (black, yellow and of all the colors) would scandalize many Americans (black also), whose country is much more strict in this and other matters. Spain is an integration example where all the workers have right, for example, to a gratuitous and global sanitary service who are the envy of many civilized countries, for example, the United States of America.

Our laws for the equality over races, sexes and beliefs are of all knowing, and some pioneers, as it is the case of the homosexual marriage.

It is certain that racist songs in some stage were heard, that, by all means, received a strong social censure. In Spain there is no hooligans and the registered cases of vandalism in other European stages have been few here.

By all means, in my country there are racists, like in yours. And sexist, chauvinistic, violating, thieves and assassins. Like in yours. And a great amount of stupid people, like everywhere.

And now, to see if the gentlemen administrators appear, since he does not stop apologize with me publicly and my country, to at least fight to me to write in Spanish.

(updated to fix a few words that didn't translate the first time around)

[moderator comment] hello all.

just a reminder that this thread is about SOCCER/FUTBOL. let's try to keep it there.

i've received a few reports on posts in this thread. to the offenders: YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TYPING THAT IS CAUSING OFFENSE.

CUT.

IT.

OUT.

i am at work and do not want to have to chase down people with pm's today.

IF YOUR COMMENT IS NOT ABOUT THE MATCH, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF, POST IT SOMEWHERE ELSE, OR TURN TO YOUR PEER AT WORK AND TELL IT TO THEM.

if you are unsure if what you are about to type may be hurtful, offensive or just jerk-ish behavior, it likely is.

TO EVERYONE: STOP BAITING. I MEAN IT. STOP RESPONDING TO PEOPLE WHO BAIT YOU.

now.

enjoy your thread. don't make me come back in here.

ms. y. [/mod]

Thank you again Cryptique for your translation

de nada ... I just plugged your text into this site.

My Spanish is extremely rusty and never was that good anyway (only took one year of it in high school).

Guest Cousin Tupelo
gilipollas:stupid person (I think you use the word "dick",I remember listening to Jeff Tweedy in his DVD)

I like that word. How do you pronounce it? :cheers

Moderators and members, I've gone ahead and removed the comments about racism, which don't belong in a soccer thread and are purely inflammatory and offensive. Things of this nature can be discussed civilly, believe it or not, so long as people are willing to discuss their viewpoints while being open to how it looks to others. It does require an open mind and empathy, but we as a human race need to constantly attempt to move ourselves forward, right? This is all great practice in that attempt.

But again, it is simply unwarranted provocation in a thread such as this, and so has been removed. Knock it off.

Lest anybody wonder what happened, I removed a couple of my posts ... not because they were inflammatory, but because with other posts removed, they no longer made sense (and weren't really pertinent to the remains of the thread anyway).

In other news...

Anyone see the USL's Vancouver Whitecaps take down Toronto FC this afternoon -- in Toronto? WTF?!?

Toronto had a ton of chances, but Vancouver's keeper (Nolly) was insanely good today.

Lest anybody wonder what happened, I removed a couple of my posts ... not because they were inflammatory, but because with other posts removed, they no longer made sense (and weren't really pertinent to the remains of the thread anyway).

In other news...

Anyone see the USL's Vancouver Whitecaps take down Toronto FC this afternoon -- in Toronto? WTF?!?

Toronto had a ton of chances, but Vancouver's keeper (Nolly) was insanely good today.

wait... Canada has soccer? #sarcasm#

Spain's on top of the Euro rankings now...I really don't know how Italy is still second. That's just dumb, they're still salivating over the World Cup victory even though the Italy team now is complete shyte compared to the World Cup team.

Premier League can't come soon enough. :(

I'm kinda becoming a Liverpool fan.