the soccer thread

wait... Canada has soccer? #sarcasm#

There are actually seven Canadian-born players on the Toronto FC roster. That's more than I was expecting...

The site for the Vancouver Whitecaps doesn't list such information.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Moderators and members, I've gone ahead and removed the comments about racism, which don't belong in a soccer thread and are purely inflammatory and offensive. Things of this nature can be discussed civilly, believe it or not, so long as people are willing to discuss their viewpoints while being open to how it looks to others. It does require an open mind and empathy, but we as a human race need to constantly attempt to move ourselves forward, right? This is all great practice in that attempt.

But again, it is simply unwarranted provocation in a thread such as this, and so has been removed. Knock it off.

Things of this nature can be discussed civilly

???

I removed my posts,too,because they no made sense now.

Bea, what I meant by saying " Things of this nature can be discussed civilly" is that, even if the poster has the belief that in Spain, blacks are discriminated against, there are ways (and appropriate places and times) to discuss his or her dislike of racism without insulting an entire country and its people! If I felt that there was, for instance, a lot of racism in the deep south of the United States, and I wanted to discuss how that bothered me, I wouldn't do so in a thread about the Superbowl just because some southern team was playing in it, and I wouldn't be trashing the entire United States and all its citizens.

If I cared enough to discuss some perceived wrong like that, on a message board, I might start a thread of my own saying something like (I'm just making up a scenario here), "Hey, I've been traveling recently and I found myself bothered a lot by how some people in the Deep South still seem to have racist views. Do you guys think the United States will ever get beyond these deep divisions? Or maybe it looks different to you?"

That would open up a conversation in a way that was respectful of other opinions, while telling how things looked to me, in a civil way. I have to say that a message board isn't the best place for a conversation of this type, because it's such a sensitive subject that people have a very hard time staying calm, fair, and objective. But I happen to believe that almost any subject can be discussed civilly if those involved are committed to discussing with open minds and a willingness to stay respectful toward each other. Still, that having been said, I also think some subjects shouldn't be discussed on a message board because they are too volatile and people will behave badly & turn it into a firestorm.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wrote that post in a huge rush because I was about to be late to an appointment, so my wording might not have been the best! I was just trying to get this point across to all our members: whatever views you may hold, you don't get to go on the attack and make personal insults! Via Chicago is supposed to be a place where we come to as friends, to enjoy each others' company and thoughts. If all someone has to contribute are insulting posts, they should refrain from posting at all.

I now return you all to your soccer discussion, and hope I've been clearer this time out. :blush :thumbup

I don't know if there's a full moon or what, but let's all knock off the baiting, insulting, and other classless behavior.

Spain's on top of the Euro rankings now...I really don't know how Italy is still second. That's just dumb, they're still salivating over the World Cup victory even though the Italy team now is complete shyte compared to the World Cup team.

Premier League can't come soon enough. :(

I'm kinda becoming a Liverpool fan.

Italy is second, (in the World Rankings, but not worries) because it is an average (or some weird formula) over 4 years, so yes there is hang over from the World Cup. I do not put much weight into these rankings anyway.

I think we need to have an intervention is you are going to become a 'pool fan. Of English teams they are the one team I have feelings about, bad feelings. I think they are a love um' or hate um team. So I hope we can all come together and convince you other wise. Here is a video about Liv' boy Stevie G

I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest, but I don't think that the topic of racism and Spanish football are mutually exclusive. Now I have nothing against the Spanish team, they were the team I thought deserved to win on account of their approach to each game and the way they played with an entertaining fluidity. However, there is one thing that irks me about their win, and that is the fact they are managed by coach Luis Aragones, a man who has made, been caught and fined for making racist comments in the past. If it was any other person, in any other job, they would have been sacked. Even more pathetic was the way the incident was swept under the carpet and him given a paltry fine. In the UK we try really hard with a global campaign to 'Kick Racism Out Of Football', it's made a massive impact but never going to be 100% successful, but in being pro-active and trying and we've come a long, long way from how things were in the 70s. I'm full of admiration for the Spanish team, I just wished they had a different man in charge.

Feel free to delete, but racism in football is still an issue.

Here are the details:

From The Telegrapgh

Spain coach in the dock over Henry race slur

By Sid Lowe in Madrid

Last Updated: 9:36pm BST 06/10/2004

Luis Aragones, the Spain manager, has strenuously denied being a racist, despite calling Thierry Henry a "black s***".

The 66-year-old coach sought to motivate Arsenal striker Jose Antonio Reyes during training yesterday morning by insisting that he was a better player than his club-mate, whom he did not refer to by name.

Locking heads with Reyes, Aragones harangued him with the line: "Tell that negro de mierda [black s***] that you are much better than him. Tell him from me. You have to believe in yourself; you're better than that negro de mierda."

The comments were overheard by journalists at the Spanish Federation's Las Rozas training ground and broadcast on Spanish television yesterday evening.

Despite subsequent broadcasts of the full outburst, Radio Marca, the country's leading sports broadcaster, continued to insist that Aragones's words were not racist.

Aragones, who has been Spain coach since the resignation of Inaki Saez after the European Championship, denied charges of racism last night as the squad arrived in Santander where they play Belgium on Saturday.

He said: "I am a citizen of the world and some of my best friends are black, including those I have known since childhood. The fact I make a joke in order to order to motivate a player does not mean I am racist."

Reyes brushed off the remarks, saying: "I was dancing with the coach. It was a jokey moment, nothing more. Things that happen within the team should stay on the training pitch. Luis and I both knew who he was referring to, and that's it. He was joking."

and subsequent action, from the BBC:

Aragones fined for Henry remarks

Spain coach Luis Aragones has been fined 3000 euros (

Guest Cousin Tupelo
I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest, but I don't think that the topic of racism and Spanish football are mutually exclusive. Now I have nothing against the Spanish team, they were the team I thought deserved to win on account of their approach to each game and the way they played with an entertaining fluidity. However, there is one thing that irks me about their win, and that is the fact they are managed by coach Luis Aragones, a man who has made, been caught and fined for making racist comments in the past. If it was any other person, in any other job, they would have been sacked. Even more pathetic was the way the incident was swept under the carpet and him given a paltry fine. In the UK we try really hard with a global campaign to 'Kick Racism Out Of Football', it's made a massive impact but never going to be 100% successful, but in being pro-active and trying and we've come a long, long way from how things were in the 70s. I'm full of admiration for the Spanish team, I just wished they had a different man in charge.

Feel free to delete, but racism in football is still an issue.

Racism is a cultural issue. This is a racist man. The fact that his racism can be associated with the team is a misfortunate thing. But certainly soccer and Spain are not the only example of racism in sports -- there are plenty of examples in recent American sports.

But you're right, one drop of oil in a barrel of wine makes it hard to drink. And the fact that we still have to create formal educational programs to deal with racism points out that the problem is indeed everywhere.

I think we need to have an intervention is you are going to become a 'pool fan. Of English teams they are the one team I have feelings about, bad feelings. I think they are a love um' or hate um team. So I hope we can all come together and convince you other wise. Here is a video about Liv' boy Stevie G

So liking Liverpool is a disease?

• 2 weeks later...
So liking Liverpool is a disease?

Yes.

Any thoughts on Ronaldinho's move? I am apprehensive about it. It is always good to have match winners on the team, but as Real Madrid can testify to, to many can be a bad thing. If he and Kaka can form an effective partnership than it will be great. As Buffon says Milan have something to prove this season, so will be the most dangerous team in Italy.

• 4 months later...

This came as kind of a shock to me, but apparently the New York Red Bulls are playing Columbus for the MLS championship on Sunday.

Yes they are. Really the crew all ready won the league, but now they are in the play off final as well. They are playing in L.A. so lots of fan support. MLS probably thought Beckham would lead the Galaxy to the finals. Oh, well he is my problem now.

Well, I have stated in the past that I can't really get behind any soccer team in New York that is not named Cosmos, but I hope the Red Dudes win on Sunday.

Well, I have stated in the past that I can't really get behind any soccer team in New York that is not named Cosmos, but I hope the Red Dudes win on Sunday.

No way, dude. The Crew rulz!!! Actually, I have no idea. I went to one Crew game this year but by no means do I follow them really closely.

Would be nice to see somebody win a championship in this town, though, with our perennially crappy hockey team and college football team that recently likes to choke on the big stage. This city needs this win to boost its sporting self-esteem. :P

Freddy Adu scored a gorgeous free-kick goal in the CONCACAF qualifier against Guatemala last night -- his first goal as a member of the top national team. Anyone else watch that match?

The foul that led to Adu's goal resulted in a yellow, but it should have been a red -- the Guatemalan defender screwed up, got badly beaten on a through ball, and simply pulled down the American striker from behind as he entered the penalty area on a breakaway. Where I come from, that's an automatic red, but the match ref saw it differently somehow.

The U.S. looked pretty good overall, and I was happy to see a lot of names on the pitch that I wasn't accustomed to. They'd been playing the same old batch of geezers for far too long.

No way, dude. The Crew rulz!!! Actually, I have no idea. I went to one Crew game this year but by no means do I follow them really closely.

Would be nice to see somebody win a championship in this town, though, with our perennially crappy hockey team and college football team that recently likes to choke on the big stage. This city needs this win to boost its sporting self-esteem. :P

Didn't voting for Obama do that? Because obviously your city is going to need a lot of work on that self-esteem issue after this Saturday! :cheers

Freddy Adu scored a gorgeous free-kick goal in the CONCACAF qualifier against Guatemala last night -- his first goal as a member of the top national team. Anyone else watch that match?

The foul that led to Adu's goal resulted in a yellow, but it should have been a red -- the Guatemalan defender screwed up, got badly beaten on a through ball, and simply pulled down the American striker from behind as he entered the penalty area on a breakaway. Where I come from, that's an automatic red, but the match ref saw it differently somehow.

The U.S. looked pretty good overall, and I was happy to see a lot of names on the pitch that I wasn't accustomed to. They'd been playing the same old batch of geezers for far too long.

Missed the game, class, but thought about seeing it in person.

I do not think that was necessarily a red. The number of defenders around him and being where he was a yellow was appropriate. But I can wee what you are saying.

I am also glad to see the USA making changes to the line up. Though they had all ready qualified for the next round, and they played well, I am not sure I would trust them with a bigger game. THe result against T&T showed that.

Any thoughts on Donovan going to Munich?

I DVR'd it and watched most of the first half (which I thought was boring) before I feel asleep (due to the time of night and not the match). I watched highlights and looks like the 2nd half was far better and overall made it an entertaining match.

I am glad Columbus won as they were by far the best team in the regular season. Should be one table and no playoffs anyway.