the soccer thread

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dusting off this ancient thread for some exciting news from Germany: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11891/13113740/xabi-alonso-leads-bayer-leverkusen-to-first-bundesliga-title  

Posted Images

I would rather take it myself, but I would not mind seeing Barca win again.

Any Arsenal fans? Thoughts on either goal? I think you guys really need a new goalkeeper. Not just based upon yesterday's two howlers, but on the season as a whole. Lots of goals that should have been saved.

Interesting note that it was the same referee as the France Ireland game.

The goals were horrible and the away goal was huge. With that a 1-0 result in a few weeks will put us through. The way everybody is dropping points in the league means, though Arsenal are still a long shot, they cannot be counted out. It will take a near perfect run, though.

Check out this fan documentary. Great stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8oGGm13qWo

Looking forward to Fox Soccer Plus (in HD) coming on March 1st even though I haven't seen confirmation that Comcast will have it on that date. In my area the sports package is only $7/mo and includes Fox Soccer Channel and GolTV. Anybody watch matches on ESPN360? I was happy in August when Comcast finally joined up with ESPN on that. Cannot beat free. Love watching matches in HD on ESPN2. Makes it hard to watch FSC in standard definition.

I wish that this thread were pinned or at least stayed active. I love football and have few opportunities to discuss it.

There is so much going on now, partcularly in the EPL (the league that I am near-obsessed with). It can't believe that Pompey will be wound up, no matter how much it may be deserved. It would throw the league into chaos, particularly regarding the table. I can't see HMRC doing it. I believe that it will drag on until the end of the season and then the winding up order will come down.

What about the proposal to institute a playoff for the 4th Champions League spot? It is funny listening to the top 4-5 clubs speak against it and the rest are for it. No shit!! I am undecided. It is silly to consider the possibility that a 6th or 7th placed team with 20 points less than the 4th, could make Champions League. After 38 games, the table is the table. If instituted, though, it will soon become a fan favorite just like the final promotion spot playoff in the lower leagues did. It makes for fine sports drama. I guess that I don't care either way!!

Last Tuesday I was going to transfer Matt Etherington into my Fantasy team. I had my finger ready to press enter on 'Confirm transfer' when I thought, "Shit, Stoke have 2 games to play prior to the transfer taking effect the 20th. What if he gets injured?". I held off. The next day they announce that he has knee ligament damage! Whoot! About 20,500 people had transfered him in, as of yesterday 10,500 had shipped him back out, paying a 4 point penalty for an extra transfer. I'm glad that I wasn't one of them.

Now Benny Feilhaber is injured. Not that he is the best USA player but our growing injury list dies not bode well. We have such a kind draw, too. Hopefully, most of those guys, Dempsey, Edu, Onyewu and Holden especially, will be back and in shape. I have been reading reports that Charlie Davies is making an amazing recovery from his auto accident. That would be fantastic. Donovan is playing very well for Everton. It seems as though, it wasn't European football that he sucked at, just the Bundesliga!

I am not embarrassed by this lengthy post. Ha! Who wants to (semi)regularly talk football? :cheers

Wow. There's alot in your post. I live in the U.K and, along with most of us here, follow the Premier League with a passion. I'm a Spurs fan myself so things are going pretty well for us this season. Unfortunately we have a long-standing habit of cocking things up so I can't see us qualifying for the Champions League.

The situation at Portsmouth is very interesting and may be the first of many. Hopefully it will bring about a fundamental change in the way football is run over here. The money is now having a detrimental effect on the league so changes need to be made.

Even as a Spurs fan (who would be a beneficiary) I'm against the play-off proposals.

Finally, I've have no idea what your last paragraph was about but it seems to indicate that Americans play football/Soccer :thumbup

So keep talking footie fans and we can keep this thread on the first page!!

I really like that video. It reminded me of my one game that I got to see in England (Manchester United - Lyon two years ago).

I am also a closet Spurs fan, but only because of Harry. I think he is my favorite manager. Also I hate Liverpool, so any one finishing fourth other than them would be great.

I am intrigued by the playoff plan. I think the one in the Netherlands works well, but maybe if they did it in England it should be just be between the 4 and 5 placed teams. It would make things interesting at the end of the season.

So let's talk about french football

Do you know Bordeaux, yes, I know you believe it is a wine brand.

But in reality it's a city. And in this city there is the best french football (is how we called soccer in france) team.

The manager is the best and maybe the future manager of the french national football team.

And you know, this team gonna win the champions league. I know you don't believe me. You say there is no star in this team. But there a man called Gourcuff the future Zidane, Wendel maybe the best kicker of the world.

So i tell you Bordeaux gonna win the champions league.

Oh yeah Bordeaux is good. I saw the game today and was really impressed. I am not happy Milan let Gourcuff go for such a small fee. He would have slotted right into Kaka's old spot once he moved on. Oh well. Not sure if they will win the Champions league, but they have a better shot than Lyon. A lot will ride on the draw for the next rounds.

Yes, Blanc is has had good results for the past few years, and if France do poorly at the World Cup I would not be surprised to see him take over the national team.

Bordeaux are having a great year in both Ligue 1 and Champions League. It will be no surprise if they knock out one of the 'big' teams. Auref, I follow Rennes and Sochaux due to the Americans they have, Bocanegra and Davies, respectively. I hope that Rennes can manage a Europa League place. A few years ago, Fox Soccer Channel carried one or two Ligue 1 games a weekend. I miss those. The Serie A games they replaced them with are boring and I never watch them. Strictly the Premier League for me. I hope that the new Fox Soccer Plus, debuting 1 March, will carry a Spanish or French game.

It looks as though Pompey will go voluntarily into administration to avoid being wound up. That is good because the chaos of teams losing/gaining points depending upon prior Portsmouth results would throw the table out of whack.

Did anyone watch Man. City v. 'Pool? It was not easy on the eyes. I can understand the need to not drop points, as they both want that 4th champions League place but jaysus, playing not to lose is anti-football.

I am seriously concerned for my boys in white. I am not sure if Coyle can pull off a great escape for Bolton. It is odd that when he was at Burnley, they played attacking football, but under Coyle, the Trotters haven't scored in 4 league games and the once-heralded defense is no more. Maybe we should have kept Megson... Knock Spurs out of the FA Cup today, boys!!

I am excited to watchthe Inter/Chelsea tie today. So much drama involved with the gaffers having previously managed their opponents.

Did anyone watch Man. City v. 'Pool? It was not easy on the eyes. I can understand the need to not drop points, as they both want that 4th champions League place but jaysus, playing not to lose is anti-football.

I am seriously concerned for my boys in white. I am not sure if Coyle can pull off a great escape for Bolton. It is odd that when he was at Burnley, they played attacking football, but under Coyle, the Trotters haven't scored in 4 league games and the once-heralded defense is no more. Maybe we should have kept Megson... Knock Spurs out of the FA Cup today, boys!!

I am excited to watchthe Inter/Chelsea tie today. So much drama involved with the gaffers having previously managed their opponents.

As a Spurs fan myself I'm hoping bolton's misery is compounded somewhat tonight. I feel we have enough to see you lot off at White Hart Lane. Still, you never know. We have had some strange results this season. With regard to the Liverpool vs City game...what a horror show. Thankfully Spurs never revert to playing that particular brand of football. Play to win. Outsocre your opponants. That is the only way top play.

As a Spurs fan myself I'm hoping bolton's misery is compounded somewhat tonight. I feel we have enough to see you lot off at White Hart Lane. Still, you never know. We have had some strange results this season. With regard to the Liverpool vs City game...what a horror show. Thankfully Spurs never revert to playing that particular brand of football. Play to win. Outsocre your opponants. That is the only way top play.

As a french i'm a Arsenal fan. This team smell the france th manager is french they're many french player that play or had played in this team. Henry, Anelka, Pires, Gallas, Nasri and a lot of other one. I believe their going to make something good in the future year because today they're a little bit to young. And the magik is a little bit lost. But one day you'll will see.

But stop they're not only the english championnship look the french championship they're are two or three great team like Lyon, Bordeaux and Marseille.

Wild Frank, your Spurs kicked us out of the FA Cup with that 4-0 thrashing but I don't care because the 1-0 victory or Wolves today has us out of the relegation zone! Come on, boys!!

What a game Chelsea v. Man. City was. No jet lag for Tevez though his first goal was soft. Hilario isn't Cech. With Belletti sent off and now suspended, Chelsea's already damaged defense is even worse. With Gunners 3 points back with a win today and their last 10 games being relatively easy, they just might hoist the trophy come May.

shit. I'm glad they are not showing replays of the challenge on Ramsey.

It's a bad one for sure. Shame too because he is a fine player and just what we need in that midfield. Someone who can play but also has a bit of bite to him. Seems like he had his leg planted when Shawcross hit him and that's what did for him. I hate those fucking Stoke c**ts anyway. Horse a long throw into the box towards some semi human monolith standing there.

And a million Gooner Wilco fans shut down the internet.

I can't beleive that there are any Wilco fans who would support Ar*%nal. That is a contradiction in taste! Seriously, I find it hard to dilike the Gooners apart from the old rivalry. They now play beautiful football (unlike twenty years ago when they were the most boring side on the planet). They are well run and I do applaud their transfer policy. I really feel for young Mr. Ramsey as that one looked a bit painful!!.

We did pretty well at the weekend. Gareth Bale is starting to look like a more than decent player. Its been a really strange season this year, both in the fight for the Premiership and the fourth spot.

Wild Frank, your Spurs kicked us out of the FA Cup with that 4-0 thrashing but I don't care because the 1-0 victory or Wolves today has us out of the relegation zone! Come on, boys!!

Yeah sorry about that. To be honest I think the relegation dog-fight is of more importance to you guys. You did come into it a bit in the second half but for the first forty-five you let us play too much.

Beating Wolves was a massive three points and I wish you well for the rest of the season. Hopefully when Coyle beds in you might start playing some better football. Talking about good football, we played some nice stuff against you lot. Bale was on fire down the left and Pavlyuchenko looks like he is ready to stake a claim for a first team spot.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd feel some schadenfreude over Beckham missing the World Cup, but I would have preferred for him to simply not make the squad. A torn Achilles sucks, no matter who you are.

I thought I'd feel some schadenfreude over Beckham missing the World Cup, but I would have preferred for him to simply not make the squad. A torn Achilles sucks, no matter who you are.

Easy to hate Beckham but I think he should have been in the squad. There isn't a better crosser in the modern game. A great asset on the subs bench, tons of experience and just the person you want delivering the ball to the forwards in the last 15 minutes of a tight game.

On a separate note, this might be the most interesting EPL season in years. Fingers-crossed that both the battle for the top-spot and fourth place go to the last weekend. My favourites Liverpool score 4 goals for the first time in six months. I don't think they are going to get fourth place though. It's somewhat obvious that this the end of an era. in August, Benitez, Gerrard and Torres will be gone and if new funding hasn't been secured for the club, Liverpool will be fighting for a European place every year and not for the league or a top four spot. Telling that Anfield had it lowest attendance in years last night and despite the performance the atmosphere was very subdued. There's something in the air and it isn't good.

I am tipping Spurs for 4th place as they have rediscovered their scoring ability and Man Utd for top-spot based on their experience. Man Utd for the Champions League. Of course if Rooney gets injured my bets are off.

I would have taken Beckham in the squad if he was fit. He could have been a decent impact sub in tight games.

Come on the Gooners...man, if the title fell into our laps this time I would be chuffed to bits!:cheers

I would have taken Beckham in the squad if he was fit. He could have been a decent impact sub in tight games.

Come on the Gooners...man, if the title fell into our laps this time I would be chuffed to bits!:cheers

I'd be happy with that too. Would be funny given that they have been beaten by Chelsea and Man Utd both home and away and conceded something like ten goals in those games.

Inter just did every team in the Champions League a massive favour today. Wouldn't mind an outside bet on Lyon going all the way.

Also Sevilla going out to the Russians. Big upset there.

We don't really deserve the title but if we stumbled our way to it I wouldn't complain.

Being a bit harsh on yourself there. The EPL is arguably the toughest league in the world. The team who has the most points at the end of the season deserves to be Champions. Arsenal do so much better on the road now than they have for several seasons.

Well, there is the view that you don't have to beat the other big teams to win the title and that you have to beat the other "smaller" teams but I remember winning the title at Old Trafford. I wince when we go up against the other "big four" teams now because we never seem to be at the races. Still, it's been a decent season apart from losing RVP and Ramsey.