Judy Collin's version of Tom Thumbs Blues is excellent.

LouieB

No, no, no, no......please tell me you're joking.

I have nothing against Judy, she "gave us" Leonard Cohen and all that. But.

Please. JC singing "I started out on burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff"? Painful. :pirate

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone metioned my fav.

Simple Twist of Fate- Jerry Garica

I rember playing this for a friend on a road trip and just watching the look on his face as he was hit with the emotion in jerrys voice.

and i'm sure youve all metioned the bands takes on I Shall be Released, Tears of Rage, and This Wheels On Fire

how about

I'll Keep It With Mine- Nico

No, no, no, no......please tell me you're joking.

I have nothing against Judy, she "gave us" Leonard Cohen and all that. But.

Please. JC singing "I started out on burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff"? Painful. :pirate

Ya see...same thing with mjpuczko not liking Joan Baez; it's a generation gap thing!! I grew up with both these singers and heard them sing some of these songs before I heard Dylan's versions. So yea, I am NOT kidding.

I am sure you don't need the old lecture about how it used to be that there were singers and there were songwriters, before there were singer-songwriters (it is the same reason older people, even older than me still really dig Peter Paul and Mary), and before singers with non-smooth trained voices could have kick ass careers. As you point out, without JC, there would be no Leonard Cohen, but we now think of Lenny as a great singer-songwriter as a result. (Tom Waits was born at the right time for sure.)

What can I say. I have always liked Judy Collins, own a ton of her records (as I own a ton of other folksingers from that era) and I even like Joan Baez, though I rarely listen to either any more.

This entire thread reminded me of Ian Tyson, a man everyone wanted to sound like back in the day. I even ordered one of his cowboy song CDs because I have been wanting one for years. Few people are interested in Ian and Sylvia now, but back in the day they were all the rage, the same as (get ready) the above mentioned singers, the Chad Mitchell Trio, the Limelighters, the Brothers Four, the New Christy Mintrels, the Weavers, the Kingston Trio, etc. etc. All were skewered in"A Mighty Wind" but in their day they were had the status of indie rockers.

(I have been threatening for years to start a thread about groups that had followings years ago and no longer do.)

LouieB

I guess for me, a lot of Ian and Sylvia (also Gordon Lightfoot)'s songs still sound vibrant...almost timeless. Not all of them, but many. Perhaps I have a Canadian bias though.

With Joan and Judy, I can't get very far past the dated vocal style. Maybe they were going for such a unique vocal style that it was bound to get 'stuck' in that era, I don't know. I respect what they did as vocalists (and writers..) but my ears hurt after a couple of songs. Same for Janis Ian.

I guess for me, a lot of Ian and Sylvia (also Gordon Lightfoot)'s songs still sound vibrant...almost timeless. Not all of them, but many. Perhaps I have a Canadian bias though.

With Joan and Judy, I can't get very far past the dated vocal style. Maybe they were going for such a unique vocal style that it was bound to get 'stuck' in that era, I don't know. I respect what they did as vocalists (and writers..) but my ears hurt after a couple of songs. Same for Janis Ian.

Like I said, I can understand how you feel and I don't throw on a Judy Collins album and groove to it any more (using some outdated slang to accompany an outdated vocalist.) I like Gordan Lightfoot well enough (I have other issues with him, he got so darned MOR in his later career), butsome of Sylvia's vocal stylings can be down right irritating too.

Janis Ian is another case altogether. I have an extremely soft spot in my heart for her as a 14 year old singersongwriter having a kick ass hit single that rattled some cages (Society's Child) when I was a mere teen, but my wife and I went to see her in the last couple years and talk about irritating...yikes. My wife bought some of her newer albums I think out of a feeling of nostalgia, but at one point during her show at the OTS, she asked the audience (which you can imagine was pretty damn old) to NOT sing along. Not only was that rude, it was egotistical and stupid. As a result, my wife won't play the CDs EVER. (I will send them to anyone for free if you want.) I mean I felt she had gotten lame fairly early in her career (after the Verve Folkways days) and exceptionally MOR, but we also saw her some time in the late 70s or early 80s and she wasn't too bad. This time she was just plan full of it. She can still sing and play though....just don't consider singing along with her hits.....

LouieB

Janis Ian is another case altogether. I have an extremely soft spot in my heart for her as a 14 year old singersongwriter having a kick ass hit single that rattled some cages (Society's Child) when I was a mere teen, but my wife and I went to see her in the last couple years and talk about irritating...yikes. My wife bought some of her newer albums I think out of a feeling of nostalgia, but at one point during her show at the OTS, she asked the audience (which you can imagine was pretty damn old) to NOT sing along. Not only was that rude, it was egotistical and stupid. As a result, my wife won't play the CDs EVER. (I will send them to anyone for free if you want.) I mean I felt she had gotten lame fairly early in her career (after the Verve Folkways days) and exceptionally MOR, but we also saw her some time in the late 70s or early 80s and she wasn't too bad. This time she was just plan full of it. She can still sing and play though....just don't consider singing along with her hits.....

Ha HA! I used to work for Janis (in fact, I may have booked the show you were at!), and I know her quite well, so I can undertand this! She really means well, she been through the ups and downs of the music business and back again, so she's a little...um, grizzled?

Ha HA! I used to work for Janis (in fact, I may have booked the show you were at!), and I know her quite well, so I can undertand this! She really means well, she been through the ups and downs of the music business and back again, so she's a little...um, grizzled?

Cool that you worked for her. I have always respected her, but treating her die hard core audience like children was stupid. I mean her fans are all in their 50s and 60s fer cryin out loud. That demographic is used to singing along. And I understand that she has had a hard time, coming out, being an older artist discarded by the major labels etc., but plenty of old folkies do just find on the circuit. That is very funny that you worked for her though.

LouieB

MOJOs Dylan Covered, was a pretty good one..thats where i heard Andrew Bird and John Martyns covers, both beautiful

I dont have the means to convert the tracks from CD to Mp3 though

I agree with Louie, about Baez being given a hard time...i have Joan Baez in concert part 2 and thats a good LP, although it use to belong to my Grandma and this may be half of reason im so fond of it

The Cardinals do what sounds like a great version of Isis, if only there was a good qaulity audio of it kicking about

MOJOs Dylan Covered, was a pretty good one..thats where i heard Andrew Bird and John Martyns covers, both beautiful

I dont have the means to convert the tracks from CD to Mp3 though

I agree with Louie, about Baez being given a hard time...i have Joan Baez in concert part 2 and thats a good LP, although it use to belong to my Grandma and this may be half of reason im so fond of it

Yea, Mojo. There were a couple Uncut Dylan cover CDs awhile back. I got one, but not the other.

Joan Baez was THE folk singer of her day. Glad to know someone the age of my sister (who owned all those albums back in the day and I have collected them at various resale and junk shops over the years..) is the same age as your grandmother... :lol I highly recommend the the book "Positively Fourth Street" for a view of the folk scene during that period, even if you don't like Baez. My VC buddy renic read it and enjoyed it and she doesn't know hardly anything about any of those people except Bob Dylan.

LouieB

I highly recommend the the book "Positively Fourth Street" for a view of the folk scene during that period, even if you don't like Baez.

LouieB

I was just going to post that. She was also involved in the Rolling Thunder Tour, as well as, Renaldo & Clara - of course.

QUOTE(LouieB @ Sep 15 2007, 08:44 AM)

I highly recommend the the book "Positively Fourth Street" for a view of the folk scene during that period, even if you don't like Baez.

LouieB

I was just going to post that. She was also involved in the Rolling Thunder Tour, as well as, Renaldo & Clara - of course.

Not to hijack the thread, but that book is so good. It also benefits from the Thomas Pynchon material. I know people who have read the book just because Pynchon agreed to be interviewed by Hajdu for it.

No, there are no pictures of him with Farina or anyone else. Getting an interview from him was probably hard enough. Getting pictures would be asking the impossible.

Odd - now I wonder where I saw such a thing. It was some of him in college or something like that.

Odd - now I wonder where I saw such a thing. It was some of him in college or something like that.

I meant no pictures in the book alone. You can find maybe two or three pictures of him from his college and Navy days on-line. There's also a video of him on YouTube walking the streets of Manhattan in the early 90's. CNN took the footage and then agreed never to show it. Some guy got it and it's now out there. He was also on the Simpsons:

Pynchon_Simpsons.jpg