1 beloved album from your collection

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiritualized - The Complete Works Volume 1.

It was tough to choose between this round-up of (mainly) rare/obscure releases and remixes, or their 'Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space' CD. In the end I went for the compilation. A gorgeous mix of psychedelica, orchestral minimalism, 60s pop and all out punky thrash.

Highlights?

The opening track (and debut single) is a cover of The Trogg's classic 'Anyway That You Want Me' and features a truly sublime string arrangement. Four(!) versions of 'Feels So Sad' sounds excessive, but they all work in very different ways - you get the condensed 7" single version, plus two very different sounding explorations/arrangements that will draw you into their soundscapes and another, different, re-working of the song. The euphoria of 'Good Dope/Good Fun', the driving charge of 'Run' (a re-working of JJ Cale's lyrics from 'Call Me The Breeze' with a new tune), The beauty of 'You Know It's True'... I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea from the adjectives that I've used in praising this collection!

Well, for me, some things never change:

Frank Zappa and The Mothers Of Invention - One Size Fits All

Here's what Amazon says:

The pinnacle of his jazz-rock work of the early '70s, One Size Fits All boasts some of the most memorable songs of Frank Zappa's career performed by one of the most beloved Mothers of Invention lineups ever assembled.

So there ya go. If you do not own this, you need, need, need to get it.

My girlfriends Mom got me a Crosby, Stills, and Nash Biography for Christmas, I read when I had the flu, maybe it was cause I was miserable at the time, but what a few of the most unlikable douches, I
Well, for me, some things never change:

Frank Zappa and The Mothers Of Invention - One Size Fits All

Good one for sure....For me Absolutely Free would count as one of those albums that helped change my life....

LouieB

Good one for sure....For me Absolutely Free would count as one of those albums that helped change my life....

LouieB

Absolutely Free might just be my very favorite in the entire FZ catalogue. And that's saying alot.

It was tough to choose between this round-up of (mainly) rare/obscure releases and remixes, or their 'Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space' CD.

Ladies and Gentlemen is an awesome record but I didn't realize it was obscure (didn't it win NME Album of the Year?) - I guess because all my friends loved it when it came out. The title track is the most gorgeous reworking of Pachelbel's Canon in D that I have ever heard.

033.jpg

3 - Dark Days Coming

This album came out posthumously (of course, it was on Dischord where bands broke up every week) in the late '80s, and was a great blast of melodic, almost Beatle-esque style punk rock. Geoff Turner really wrote song great songs, which definitely stood out in a scene that hadn't necessarily been known for its sense of melody. Before 3 (and after), Turner was in Gray Matter (2 of his other 3 GM bandmates were also in 3, along with Jeff Nelson of Minor Threat) who I guess may have been slightly better known...but not by much.

The standout track is "Swann Street", which is the best thing ever released on Dischord records (IMO).

Ladies and Gentlemen is an awesome record but I didn't realize it was obscure (didn't it win NME Album of the Year?) - I guess because all my friends loved it when it came out. The title track is the most gorgeous reworking of Pachelbel's Canon in D that I have ever heard.

I didn't realise that we were scoring points for absolute obscurity, just things that more people should hear. I don't know about the NME, as I very rarely read it, but I do remember that it received a 2/5 star review in one of the magazines (Q?). One quote I recall from the review said "the problem with using drones and repetition is that it can sound drony and repetitive...", but yes, I also loved the album when it first came out... and still do.

daniel lanois - for the beauty of wynona

some gorgeous songs on it.

agree.

and although it is not on that album, I have

En Septembre '63

kids are gone, and so is Louise.

Ontario, they did go

near la ville de Toronto

Now my tears, they roll down,

tous les jours

And I remember the days,

and the promises that we made

Oh Louise, ma jolie Louise, ma jolie Louise.

running through ma tet.

51Y8DX6JJJL._AA240_.jpg

Yeah, it's a compilation, but... none of these songs were released on LPs. It's a collection of A-sides from 45s by various artists written and produced (and often played on) by Curtis Mayfield for OKeh records in the mid-1960s. It features Billy Butler & the Enchanters (Jerry's brother), Major Lance, Walter Jackson, Gene Chandler, and the Opals. It's out of print and somewhat tough to get (there are some decently-priced used copies on Amazon), but it has become one of my favorite discs of all time. If you like 60s soul, these songs will jump right to the front of your favorites.

51Y8DX6JJJL._AA240_.jpg

Yeah, it's a compilation, but... none of these songs were released on LPs. It's a collection of A-sides from 45s by various artists written and produced (and often played on) by Curtis Mayfield for OKeh records in the mid-1960s. It features Billy Butler & the Enchanters (Jerry's brother), Major Lance, Walter Jackson, Gene Chandler, and the Opals. It's out of print and somewhat tough to get (there are some decently-priced used copies on Amazon), but it has become one of my favorite discs of all time. If you like 60s soul, these songs will jump right to the front of your favorites.

I need this immediately....damn.....logging onto Amazon....(edit...already done...thanks for the heads up......$16 bucks plus shipping it looks like a bargain.)

LouieB