1 beloved album from your collection

I need this immediately....damn.....logging onto Amazon....(edit...already done...thanks for the heads up......$16 bucks plus shipping it looks like a bargain.)

Yeah, I had to snag myself one too. Looks too good to pass up.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shit, Louie, you're gonna eat that disc up.
You know me too well. I really like the crazy shit they have on the Numero Group CDs and I was looking at that box set of Atlantic/Warners obscure soul stuff that came out recently. I was also looking at a set of Vee Jay, but I have the earlier comp which works just fine.

I ran into the Numero folks at Pitchfork and they must have thought I was a total nutcase....telling them how important their work was and stuff. Actually I admire the hell out of those people who put out obscure stuff like this. It is a part of our musical heritage which could just as easily get lost without a trace (sorry to hijack this thread...) On the same train of thought (get it) the Night Train to Nashville comps are excellent as well, but luckily still very much in print.

LouieB

I really like the crazy shit they have on the Numero Group CDs and I was looking at that box set of Atlantic/Warners obscure soul stuff that came out recently. I was also looking at a set of Vee Jay, but I have the earlier comp which works just fine.

:w00t Links? Titles? Anything to help me find 'em?

:w00t Links? Titles? Anything to help me find 'em?
I can't seem to find it by the net, but Laurie's has a copy and I am sure it is not out of print. It is NOT the Atlantic gold comp which is some low budget fun. This is four CDs in a funky box bigger box set. at about $50; stuff from Atlantic/Warner. let me keep seeing if I can get an image.

Here you go...from our friends at Rhino

LouieB

Oh mercy, the Night Train to Nashville collections are fantastic. Got to meet Alan Stoker who was the audio supervisor on both collections on my last visit to the Country Music HOF (thank you Josh xoxo).

Haven't picked up any numero group stuff, but it is time... thank you for the tip, sir!

edit: that what it is set is fantastic, too... LOVE the track "sexy coffee pot"

That album actually won some sort of Sci-Fi award when it came out.

I believe it, the concept was that they hijack a starship and start a new civilization on some far-off planet, I think it's the begining of transformation from Airplane to Starship, groovy.

i'm going to completely kill this thread and say:

the Carpenters Greatest Hits

you gotta love a good catchy pop song, a real one, done the right way with dub overs and forced harmonies. who doesn't have a ticket to ride when we've only just begun for all we know...

51y8-yT66pL._AA240_.jpg

You only really hear about Duke and the orchestra, and you only hear about songs like "Caravan," "Mood Indigo," and "Take The A-Train" as examples of his creativity.

I'd like to say that hearing Duke in a trio setting is the absolute best way to hear him perform. His piano playing is magnificient (and very audible), as well as his composing abilities. There are some very obscure originals on here that I feel are among his best compositions. ("A Hundred Dreams Ago" is among the most beautiful ballads I've ever heard.)

Oh mercy, the Night Train to Nashville collections are fantastic. Got to meet Alan Stoker who was the audio supervisor on both collections on my last visit to the Country Music HOF (thank you Josh xoxo).

Haven't picked up any numero group stuff, but it is time...

Most of the material on the Numero Groups CDs is a bit rough around the edges. The kind of stuff on the other comps we are talking about were at least released my either major or sub-major labels, whereas the Numero stuff is from very local and sometimes shoestring type labels; but that is part of the charm, local entrepreneurs trying to do what the bigger labels were doing. I don't have all of them, but those I have do have some interesting stuff on them.

They did a fantastic job on the Nashville material. They sound great and the notes are well done too.

LouieB

154634.jpg

I still break this one out a few times a year. Definitely a record that deserves some attention.

(I have a thing for Duduk music).

dcd

Along those lines, one of my most played CDs is Peter Gabriel's Passion album (sdtrk to Last Temptation of Christ)

haunting and mesmerizing

i'm going to completely kill this thread and say:

the Carpenters Greatest Hits

Nothing will kill this thread quite like Kingston Trio: s/t first album/Live at the Hungry i

I grew up on these 2 and to have them packaged together makes me all warm and fuzzy

I still sing Gue Gue to my kids to calm them down.

Nothing will kill this thread quite like Kingston Trio: s/t first album/Live at the Hungry i

I grew up on these 2 and to have them packaged together makes me all warm and fuzzy

:lol I have the Bear Family Box set of The Kingston Trio-The John Stewart Years.....everything from that period on 10 CD's

and no,, I not ashamed......

-robert.

154634.jpg

I still break this one out a few times a year. Definitely a record that deserves some attention.

:cheers Love that one. I saw the Indianapolis branch play at Metro in Chicago many years ago. Robert Ray, the leader of the Gainesville branch, was one of my brother's professors at U-F (and a personal friend, I believe).

Please Panic and Opposite Sex are pretty good too ... do you have those?

That reminds me of another classic that's sadly overlooked:

c020633dc23.jpg

I definitely prefer the early stuff from when Bob Rupe was still in the band. Salas-Humara gets a little self-indulgent without Rupe there to rein him in. (Plus, Rupe has a much better voice.)

Please Panic and Opposite Sex are pretty good too ... do you have those?

Unfortunately I've never been able to track those 2 down. I believe they're out-of-print sadly. I'm hoping they get re-released someday.