Tasered Student

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think the MIT student was necessarily trying to stir up trouble. she was waiting for an arrival (not attempting to board a plane) and once she saw that the information people were freaked, left. then completely complied with the police. i for one hope she isn't punished for donning a duracell.

God, I hope you're kidding.

1. This involved a well known political figure - so security was most likely more jacked up.

2. In a post 9/11 and Virginia Tech world - people causing a commotion will now be dealt with more severely.

3. In a republican dominated police state, this sort of behavior is going to be squashed regardless of what is going on.

4. At least the kid did not get shot by the national guard.

I love this. You lost me at "republican dominated police state", though... bro.

Gotta also love how so many enlightened folks here find themselves on the fence because the lad was not behaving himself at a John Kerry event. If he was forcibly removed in a similar manner at a Cheney (insert your own evil villian: Rice, Cheney, Gonzales, Ashcroft... Coulter) forum, he'd have gone down screaming into martyr status. :usa

I'm not, I haven't read anything that says she meant for it to look like a bomb, and from the pictures i've seen, i don't think it's very bomb-ish.

From the AP:

She wore the white circuit board on her chest over a black hooded sweatshirt, Pare said at a news conference. The battery-powered rectangular device had nine flashing lights, and Simpson had Play-Doh in her hands, he said.

If I saw that at the airport, I would BOOK. How can she say that doesn't look like a bomb?

Gotta also love how so many enlightened folks here find themselves on the fence because the lad was not behaving himself at a John Kerry event. If he was forcibly removed in a similar manner at a Cheney (insert your own evil villian: Rice, Cheney, Gonzales, Ashcroft... Coulter) forum, he'd have gone down screaming into martyr status. :usa

I think you have something here.

I'm a little late to this party, but in that video it showed he was clearly playing for the cameras -- it appeared he couldn't wait to have the cops come after him to increase the drama.

Uhh, I doubt he could have been a bigger douchebag at any other event.

You seem to be implying that because he was at a Democratic rally, we're treating the guy differently. I hate to be this blunt, but that is possibly the most conceited thing I've ever heard. While as people most of us hate Cheney or whoever as much as the next guy, it's utterly preposterous to say that, given similar (to exact) circumstances and evidence, we would treat the dude differently. He was disturbing the peace and not doing what was asked of him, and for that he (probably) deserved what came to him at the Kerry event; if the situation was the same except the change in the "feature" person, then we would draw the same conclusions that we have thus far. We may dislike those in power now, but no one (here, at least) is that big of an ignorant prick to falsify a conclusion by disregarding the evidence - we're logically drawing conclusions, and not letting our emotions get the best of what we find.

Come to think of it, doesn't that remind me of some certain peoples high up...? :brow

hate

Pardon me for thinking that someone who casually tosses that word around may be prone to letting emotion get the better of them. Perhaps prone to overlooking evidence and chalking the lad's removal up to some sort of "police-state strongarming" because he was peppering the speaker (we'll say: Rice) with some righteous talking points of "blood for oil" and what not.

As for conceit, your use of "us" and "we" is not without a healthy dose.

She got some old dude as a boyfriend.

BOSTON-RED-SOX.gif

hit the deck!

honestly though, i'm not crying foul about her arrest. i just hope that if it was computer-geek art and not a scare tactic, she won't be criminally charged.

There are signs all over airports saying that even mentioning the word bomb can lead to trouble.

I can't even imagine a scenario where she doesn't get charged. This is natural selection folks.

Just because Darwin died doesn't mean the principle stopped working. People like this need to

be removed from the gene pool. It's for the good of man kind.

I love how you make completely unfounded assumptions about people based on gross generalizations that aren't even true.

I don't care in the slightest that it was a Kerry event. I'm really not a Kerry fan anyway. I recognize that there is a certain contingent who are predisposed to cutting extra slack to those who share their political views, but it's worth pointing out that those people are right-wingers at least as often as they are not (possibly more so). Just watch Fox News for a while, you'll see what I mean.

An asshole's an asshole, regardless of where he's doing his assholing.

There are signs all over airports saying that even mentioning the word bomb can lead to trouble.

and if she mentioned the word bomb or designed her sweatshirt to look like one, i'd say lock her up.

I can't even imagine a scenario where she doesn't get charged. This is natural selection folks.

Just because Darwin died doesn't mean the principle stopped working. People like this need to

be removed from the gene pool. It's for the good of man kind.

so life in prison? execution? i hope i'm never marked suspicious for the wrong reasons.

Pardon me for thinking that someone who casually tosses that word around may be prone to letting emotion get the better of them. Perhaps prone to overlooking evidence and chalking the lad's removal up to some sort of "police-state strongarming" because he was peppering the speaker (we'll say: Rice) with some righteous talking points of "blood for oil" and what not.

As for conceit, your use of "us" and "we" is not without a healthy dose.

Thanks for not reading. I said he deserved what he got. If a dude was heckling Rice in the same manner, I'd think he'd deserve whatever he would get from those cops.

and I guess cryptique was more...eloquent with his writing, but essentially we're saying the same thing - we don't give a rat's ass where he was heckling, anything he got was well deserved. I think most of us here (enlightened folks, according to you) are in agreement.

by the way, thanks for taking the one word that doesn't serve any innate purpose in my argument and construing it to make me look like I'm a psycho. :monkey

and if she mentioned the word bomb or designed her sweatshirt to look like one, i'd say lock her up.

she did. it does.

so life in prison? execution? i hope i'm never marked suspicious for the wrong reasons.

it was sarcasm, though I hope you have the common sense to not where a garment that could

easily be mistaken for an explosive device to an airport. aside from that you'll probably be ok.