Tasered Student

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really believe that, or are you just being a contrarian? Look. I know teenagers can be dumb - (sorry, kids) I was one once - and getting into a school like MIT is no guarantee of intelligence. But I cannot fathom how anyone could not think they might cause a ruckus walking into an airport with something like that around her neck. And how do you explain the playdough? Even if her intent was totally innocent, which I will never believe, she should do a year or so in the pen. Maybe she'll learn something about common sense.

i'm not being contrarian. though i'm not committed to the idea that she's innocent, i think her story checks out. it seems plausible to me that she made that sweatshirt for career day and was unfortunately wearing it when waiting for her friend's arrival. it also seems unlikely to me that it was performance art because there has been no indication that she made any attempt for attention at the airport other than to ask about the arrival at the information desk. way too subtle for your average loony or rebel student.

also, people see things as they want to. if this student was making a simple light up display, it doesn't seem stupid of her to not consider her display as anything but decoration. as someone who probably works quite a bit with simple batteries, wires and circuit boards, why would her mind go to 'bomb'? if i saw her wearing it at MIT during career day, i think its function would quickly become apparent. once i heard about the scare and saw the device, my first reaction was "oh yeah, she must be crazy" until i read what it really was. it's just as easy for someone to say it's common sense that the "fake bomb" would get her arrested as it would be for her to say it's common sense that a battery lighting up a circuit board is not a bomb. common sense isn't so common, anyway. there aren't prisons large enough if that's the criteria.

If that chick had worn that stupidity in any other country besides this one, she would have been shot first and arrested later.

i'd say most westernized countries would follow similar protocol, i bet the UK would've done it sans automatic weapons even. can we all agree that it's a good thing people aren't shot on site when it's unclear if they're even a threat?

i'd say most westernized countries would follow similar protocol, i bet the UK would've done it sans automatic weapons even. can we all agree that it's a good thing people aren't shot on site when its unclear if their even a threat?

In most public places, yes. However, in countries where terrorism has been carried out with airplanes as the weapon (Britain and Israel come immediately to mind), the protocol of politeness in airports does not exist.

Airports are police states. To think of it any other way is foolhardy.

I think her punishment should be having to ride around on a few buses in the Gaza strip by herself in her cute little sweater. If her sweater really doesn't look suspicious or like a bomb, fine, she'll be ok.

Otherwise...

i'd say most westernized countries would follow similar protocol, i bet the UK would've done it sans automatic weapons even. can we all agree that it's a good thing people aren't shot on site when it's unclear if they're even a threat?

It was in England that a South Asian non-terrorist student was shot to death on a subway by plainclothes policemen for doing nothing more than walking out of a house and getting on a train.

It is my understanding that police in Britain have access to all sorts of weapons, but the average, everyday PC doesn't carry them routinely.

And if you think the MIT kid's story checks out, I have a nice bridge I would like to sell you. It links the East Side of Manhattan with Long Island. Lot of potential for traffic. PM me.

So, it

Seriously, the gay comparison is just ridiculous. Come to think of it, I think I know what's going on here... ikol, you're a genius! This little bit you're doing where you come up with a phony screen name and mock liberals by pretending to be the most ridiculous one you can be - brilliant!

It is my understanding that police in Britain have access to all sorts of weapons, but the average, everyday PC doesn't carry them routinely.

And if you think the MIT kid's story checks out, I have a nice bridge I would like to sell you. It links the East Side of Manhattan with Long Island. Lot of potential for traffic. PM me.

I must look like a complete fool to presume someone innocent when the only evidence of a hoax is that it sortof looks like it could be a bomb.

I must look like a complete fool to presume someone innocent when the only evidence of a hoax is that it sortof looks like it could be a bomb.
Airports are police states. To think of it any other way is foolhardy.

Um.