Tasered Student

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disobedience does not excuse the use of excessive force.

And what if he did comply with the cuffing, and then went on to disobey orders to stand, would it have been ok to taser him in order to get him to comply with that request? And if he refused to walk? Or lower his head in order to enter the back seat of the cruiser? Would you have objected if they clubbed him into complying?

i'd challenge that excessive disobedience can and none of the other stuff happened, you are know arguing based on what-ifs versus what-is.

do you challenge this guy has more than numerous opportunities to avoid being tasered? also, just for my own sanity, you have cast aside the notion that this was based on any level of politics and/or eradication of free speech, yes?

i'd challenge that excessive disobedience can and none of the other stuff happened, you are know arguing based on what-ifs versus what-is.

do you challenge this guy has more than numerous opportunities to avoid being tasered? also, just for my own sanity, you have cast aside the notion that this was based on any level of politics and/or eradication of free speech, yes?

Am I?

I

(CNN) -- Heidi Gill admits she had been drinking at a bar in Warren, Ohio, and gotten into a "disagreement" with a bartender earlier this month. But she said she didn't deserve to have a police officer use a Taser gun on her multiple times.

art.tased.woman.05.cnn.jpg Warren, Ohio, officer Rich Kovach is on paid administrative leave pending an investigation.

Video footage from the police cruiser shows Gill, 38, crawling on the ground while the officer stands over her with the stun gun. She's screaming wildly. At one point, officer Rich Kovach shoves her with his foot as she struggles.

"I've never been electrocuted," she told CNN's "American Morning" on Wednesday. "I didn't know what this was. And I really didn't think this pain was ever going to stop. It was nonstop."

She said she was trying anything to get away "so I could live." video.gif Watch Gill describe the Taser treatment

In the police report, Kovach describes responding to a "fight/disturbance" at the Up A Creek tavern and finding a belligerent Gill, who began cursing, refused to give her real name, then ran to the back of the property and got into a sport utility vehicle that wasn't hers.

The officer asked her to get out and she refused, trying to "climb over to the passenger seat to jump out the passenger side of the car.

Again, sounds like a good candidate for tasering.

If you're running away from the cops and swearing at them -- as was this girl, just like the guy I'm now referring to exclusively as "Taser Boy" -- you can expect trouble.

Watch a few episodes of Cops and you can see why these guys are so quick to use it. They face an ongoing parade of idiots who are drunk, high, belligerent, disrespectful, dishonest, dangerous ... cops almost ALWAYS become deeply cynical, subjected day after day as they are to the worst sides of human nature.

Anybody dealing with them on any level should do it strictly from a Yes, sir / No, sir point of view. And if you have a problem with one, I'd suggest politely asking for their badge number and reporting them later.

Respect their authority!

OK, maaaaaybe once in the car is OK, but while she's laying on the ground it's not cool for the bro to tase her repeatedly. The authorities need to respect the power of the taser. Taser boy still had it coming to him, though.

Just curious, do cops have to be tasered during the course of their taser training? It might make them think twice about using it too much.

OK, maaaaaybe once in the car is OK, but while she's laying on the ground it's not cool for the bro to tase her repeatedly. The authorities need to respect the power of the taser. Taser boy still had it coming to him, though.

I agree with this. Yep.

Anybody dealing with them on any level should do it strictly from a Yes, sir / No, sir point of view. And if you have a problem with one, I'd suggest politely asking for their badge number and reporting them later.

Respect their authority!

I also agree with this. Yep.

Though I do think it's worth looking into the safety and ethics of taser usage in general, I would guess there are some serious cases of mis(and over)usage of tasers just as there are plenty of cases of situations where they are extremely helpful.

Just curious, do cops have to be tasered during the course of their taser training? It might make them think twice about using it too much.

I knew someone who went to Police Training in South Florida and they did have to get Tasered.

SUITES