the greatest band of all time right??

im giving stage fright a spin at the minute and i have feeling im gonna go through them all by this evening.

everytime i listen to them i fall in love all over again, i forget how good they really are

im guessing theres gotta be a handful of fans around these parts??

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. The Band have gotten a lot of love around here ... pretty recently, in fact (though I'm not going to go dig up those particular threads).

Speaking of The Band, has it suddenly become fashionable to cover their songs? I've heard a cover of "Rocking Chair" on the radio recently (I think it's Death Cab For Cutie, and I didn't much care for it) and then I heard My Morning Jacket cover "It Makes No Difference" yesterday (wasn't really feeling that one, either).

Yup. The Band have gotten a lot of love around here ... pretty recently, in fact (though I'm not going to go dig up those particular threads).

Speaking of The Band, has it suddenly become fashionable to cover their songs? I've heard a cover of "Rocking Chair" on the radio recently (I think it's Death Cab For Cutie, and I didn't much care for it) and then I heard My Morning Jacket cover "It Makes No Difference" yesterday (wasn't really feeling that one, either).

these are both off a tribute that came out this year.

its mewh for the most part.

these are both off a tribute that came out this year.

its mewh for the most part.

That's what I heard. Somehow covering the Band seems a fools game....however the Mekons did a bang up job of It Makes No Difference a few years back.

LouieB

That's what I heard. Somehow covering the Band seems a fools game....however the Mekons did a bang up job of It Makes No Difference a few years back.

LouieB

Yeah; caputuring their emotion seems an impossible task.

I actually picked up that recent Band tribute album from the library and decided not to listen to it. Every time I went to pop it in I kept thinking: "but the original version is so damn good...." I opted not to taint my ears.

I used to love it when the Nelson Band would cover It Makes No Difference. What a wonderful song. Maybe my favorite Danko vocal song.

I am a fan.

I was hoping you would deliver a sweet blog on this topic. I know you have it in you!

In a related aside: to hell with Woodstock...the July '73 Watkins Glen show (The Band, the Dead, the Allmans) might be the concert I most wish I could have been at. Can you imagine?

I was hoping you would deliver a sweet blog on this topic. I know you have it in you!

In a related aside: to hell with Woodstock...the July '73 Watkins Glen show (The Band, the Dead, the Allmans) might be the concert I most wish I could have been at. Can you imagine?

Yeah but watching that parchuter fall.... yikes

Agreed, although from what I've heard/read about it, it wasn't as great as it could have been.

Even so....damn I'd like to have a time machine.

I own Music from Big Pink and The Band - I don't really dig either of them (my rock music mentor is spinning in his grave right now).

Are there Band fans who don't hold these two (particularly Big Pink) in such high regard, like so many seem to?

I try again and again, but I just can't feel this stuff.

Like I said before, I'm a big Basement Tapes fan. :dontgetit

I own Music from Big Pink and The Band - I don't really dig either of them (my rock music mentor is spinning in his grave right now).

Are there Band fans who don't hold these two (particularly Big Pink) in such high regard, like so many seem to?

I'm not really a fan of any of their studio albums, but their live stuff is great. I feel the same way about MMJ.

i don't know a single fan of the band who doesn't like/love the 1st two. frankly, i wouldn't want to meet them. :monkey