• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a "Best Of" comp that went mostly unlistened-to for at least a decade or more until people on this board convinced me that they are, like, the greatest band evar, or something. I picked up the first two records and, still, it didn't all click until after watching the Last Waltz. Something about the live performances brought it together for me.

Hmm, i definately prefer the brown album to big pink, although i do adore pink also

maybe try Northern Lights, Southern Cross. its a quite different and a slicker production, if its the rawness of the early records you dont enjoy.

The Last Waltz is just ridiculous, so tight but without sounding overworked or boring. stunning

Hmm, i definately prefer the brown album to big pink, although i do adore pink also

maybe try Northern Lights, Southern Cross. its a quite different and a slicker production, if its the rawness of the early records you dont enjoy.

Hmm, thanks for the suggestion - I do love the rawness though (I mean, it doesn't get much more raw than the Genuine Basement Tapes). I can't explain why Big Pink doesn't move me. Perhaps it will someday.

The Last Waltz is just ridiculous, so tight but without sounding overworked or boring. stunning

Yes, there are many many many threads on this topic.

Yes, The Last Waltz was mostly re-recorded after the show in a studio.

Yes, those first two albums are awesome.

Yes, the rest are not so great.

Yes, Robbie Robertson in the devil.

Yes, Robbie Robertson is the savior.

Rick Danko is a big influence on my bass playing. Not quite as ballsy as John Paul Jones, as flashy as John Entwistle, or as overtly melodic as Paul McCartney, but he deserves mention along with those titans. Silky smooth phrasing, oozing with soul, and deceptively funky. Danko brought it.

And despite being a massive prick, I think Robbie Robertson's bluesy slop-gnarl guitar style is absolutely awesome.

Yes, there are many many many threads on this topic.

Yes, The Last Waltz was mostly re-recorded after the show in a studio.

Yes, those first two albums are awesome.

Yes, the rest are not so great.

Yes, Robbie Robertson in the devil.

Yes, Robbie Robertson is the savior.

All true yet none of it seems to matter. The movie itself was pretty much set up anyway, so who cares what they did. Despite all his bad traits, Robbie remains one of the great guitarists and songwriters ever....

Oh yea...I forgot to disagree about the rest not being so great....they are great enough.

LouieB

Despite all his bad traits, Robbie remains one of the great guitarists and songwriters ever....

True that. That is a conflict which I live with everyday: Robbie the douche bag vs. Robbie the guitarist/songwriter

Oh yea...I forgot to disagree about the rest not being so great....they are great enough.

Yes. Except for 1/2 of Cahoots, which even the band members don't recall too fondly.

All true yet none of it seems to matter. The movie itself was pretty much set up anyway, so who cares what they did. Despite all his bad traits, Robbie remains one of the great guitarists and songwriters ever....

LouieB

Anything great or memorable since 197?

my grandfather was actully lucky enough to see these guys quite a few times when they wer still the hawks with ronnie up front. He said they used to be regulars at some bar he frequented