Radiohead- In Rainbows

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be the first to say it, i'm not that excited about this.

It is a cool idea to create buzz though, i'll wait for the pig and see if i dig it.

????????

Whats their not to be excited about?

THIS IS A HUGE FUCK YOU to the record industry thats been FUCKING YOU over since you bought your first record.

So I'd say it looks like Radioheads gonna independant?

i think this is a great idea. if it's true that with most record labels, the band only receives 10 to 15% of each album sale, and the record label gets the other 85%, then i would think radiohead would make way more money with this scheme than they would going through a major label. anyone who downloads the album for free is more than likely someone who either a. doesn't like the band that much or has never heard them, or b. someone who would have downloaded the leaked album for free anyway. most fans will pay at least something, and if that amounts to an average of $5 then the band itself is collecting way more money than they would have going through a label.

Yeah, it's all well and good when lesser known bands do this, but when Radiohead does it, it is an exceedingly big deal for the music industry. Because Radiohead is a HUGE FUCKING BAND. They are really popular. This has the potential to change the record industry. It probably won't, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more bands do stuff like this before long.

Ok. So I ordered the discbox. I'm very excited. I paid $80 for it. Then got a blank confirmation email. I guess this is classic Radiohead, where everything is non-conventional. I just assume that I'll get another email with the download instructions before next Wednesday.

Ok. So I ordered the discbox. I'm very excited. I paid $80 for it. Then got a blank confirmation email. I guess this is classic Radiohead, where everything is non-conventional. I just assume that I'll get another email with the download instructions before next Wednesday.

Not sure why yours was blank, my confirmation email had all your basic order info plus this:

"Discbox customers.

You goods will be shipped on or before 3rd December 2007 by post.

Information regarding the download (included with the Discbox) as per below.

Download customers.

You will receive a further e-mail shortly before the 10th October detailing your username and activation code. The e-mail will also provide the link to the download area.

We value your custom."

Yeah, it's all well and good when lesser known bands do this, but when Radiohead does it, it is an exceedingly big deal for the music industry. Because Radiohead is a HUGE FUCKING BAND. They are really popular. This has the potential to change the record industry. It probably won't, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more bands do stuff like this before long.

I didn't want to go ranting and raving but you said it so i'll rant.

This is what its going to take to change this industry. Bands like Radiohead and Wilco are doing it and personally I think its something to get excited about.

Even if you don't like Radiohead they deserve a pat on the back for taking a brave first step. Its gonna take more bands of this size making these kind of moves to actually make a differnce. I'd say Radiohead desrves a giant pat on the back for taking a brave first step.

Not sure why yours was blank, my confirmation email had all your basic order info plus this:

"Discbox customers.

You goods will be shipped on or before 3rd December 2007 by post.

Information regarding the download (included with the Discbox) as per below.

Download customers.

You will receive a further e-mail shortly before the 10th October detailing your username and activation code. The e-mail will also provide the link to the download area.

We value your custom."

That actually makes me feel better. As long as I'm getting another email down the line giving me download instructions, I really have no reason to freak. Plus, I already saw that the amount was deducted from my CC, so I know that the order went through.

I don't see all the fuss about releasing an album like this, especially since radioheads stuff is usually super overpriced. 25 bucks for limited edition eps, 40 bucks for records, etc. cds are okay but you can't really jack up prices too much for those.

I don't see all the fuss about releasing an album like this, especially since radioheads stuff is usually super overpriced. 25 bucks for limited edition eps, 40 bucks for records, etc. cds are okay but you can't really jack up prices too much for those.

BEcause they are a band that has something like 15 million records sold worldwide, and they are releasing an album without a label, and letting their fans decide what they feel is a fair price for it. How is it not a big deal?

"I don't see all the fuss about releasing an album like this, especially since radioheads stuff is usually super overpriced. 25 bucks for limited edition eps, 40 bucks for records, etc. cds are okay but you can't really jack up prices too much for those."

i live in ann arbor, where we have all these boutique record shops and have never, ever paid 40 dollars for a radiohead lp. the most has been 30 and it was dual 10'', which cost way more to make (for some reason). you have to remember that it is only 80 to us. to the average bbc listener (brits) its 40 bucks. thats nothin' (i guess), the price of a dvd season. blame conversion. not the band.

see you.

sean.

BEcause they are a band that has something like 15 million records sold worldwide, and they are releasing an album without a label, and letting their fans decide what they feel is a fair price for it. How is it not a big deal?

yeah i just don't get it I guess. I mean its not that big of a deal since they would be able to get it for free if they wanted to it doesn't change anything really. They're just basically going by the obvious some fans will download it for free any way and some will buy it. Doing it this way will only make them more money. paying for digital downloads of albums is just stupid imo. I'm not against this whole idea I just think its kinda wack.

yeah i just don't get it I guess. I mean its not that big of a deal since they would be able to get it for free if they wanted to it doesn't change anything really. They're just basically going by the obvious some fans will download it for free any way and some will buy it. Doing it this way will only make them more money. paying for digital downloads of albums is just stupid imo. I'm not against this whole idea I just think its kinda wack.

Yeah but this is them saying they made an album cause they wanted to and they want you to hear it. Rather then divy up the album on itunes where many will just buy the two songs they want its like they are saying here just have the whole thing.

It's a brilliant move by them that shun's conventional industry standards. It will serve the purpose of gaining goodwill amongst music fans, getting their music out there, and making more money than if they had gone the normal rout. Sure it's an obvious move, but they are first major band to realize it or to have the balls to do it. Thats why it's a big deal.

It's a brilliant move by them that shun's conventional industry standards. It will serve the purpose of gaining goodwill amongst music fans, getting their music out there, and making more money than if they had gone the normal rout. Sure it's an obvious move, but they are first major band to realize it or to have the balls to do it. Thats why it's a big deal.

yeah I just don't think its that ballsy because obviously it would work, especially for them.

Could also be viewed as PR to get noticed - instead of using the songs on Law & Order: Special Payola Unit or whatever. Like RE.M. or Pearl Jam - it could be that the days of them selling a lot of cds in this country are over. But I suspect, that they may not be all that concerned about such things. But, we don't really know what goes on in the management office.

Sounds like a summary of "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart". It's a pretty cool thing for them to have done, and it will succeed in getting a fence-sitter like me listening. For a fan, i'm sure it's "unfuckinbelievably awesome!"...it's just not unprecedented. Much more notable that platinum sellers Radiohead did it, but i suspect it'll change the face of the earth about as much as Wilco did.