Ryan Adams in Iowa City

Saw Ryan Adams in Iowa City last night, and you know maybe I just have good Ryan Adams luck (though I'd only seen him once before) but this was another good show for me. He was definitely in a goofy mood, said that he had just quit cigarettes and was drinking a lot of coke and joking about "professional" band behavior the whole time, including joking that the band "should have walked off by now." Glad to see he's willing to poke fun at himself. The crowd was definitely behind him, and I think it definitely helped, but it seemed like he was excited to play and having a blast. Despite the UofI

concerts people announcing before the show that it would start at about 8:15 and run until 10:15 it was more like 11 when I actually left (no opener either...sweet).

I was happy to see a couple older tunes coming out, Bartering Lines was especially great, but all of the new material and also particularly the Cold Roses material sounded really tightly worked into the band. Good goofy Ryan banter, lots of drawn out songs, and great harmonizing vocals.

Obviously RA shows are a spotty affair, but hey, this one went well. :thumbup

Goodnight Rose

Cold Roses

Beautiful Sorta

Two

Dear John

Games

Everybody Knows

The Rescue Blues

Peaceful Valley

I Taught Myself How To Grow Old

Wild Flowers

Shakedown On 9th Street

Please Do Not Let Me Go

Off Broadway

Nightbirds

The Sun Also Sets

Let It Ride

Magnolia Mountain

---

Rip Off

Easy Plateau

Bartering Lines

Sounds like a great show...glad you had "good luck" again! :thumbup

Good setlist as well. Who sang with him on "Dear John" out of curiousity? (I've never seen him live)

Wished I was going to the show in Kansas City tonight. :hmm

Thanks for sharing. :)

Sounds like a great show...glad you had "good luck" again! :thumbup

Good setlist as well. Who sang with him on "Dear John" out of curiousity? (I've never seen him live)

Wished I was going to the show in Kansas City tonight. :hmm

Thanks for sharing. :)

All the backing vocals were just the other members of the Cardinals and they sounded great. Pedal steel probably could've been up more in the mix though :thumbup Too bad you don't get the chance to see them, it was my first time since 2002!

Saw Ryan Adams in Iowa City last night, and you know maybe I just have good Ryan Adams luck (though I'd only seen him once before) but this was another good show for me.

Make sure to send this review to CNN so they can put this on their website. Oh wait, a good show isn't as cool of a headline as a "meltdown".

Yeah, overall i would say it was a neat show, kind of weird how they had the guy come out at the begining to set down "guidelines", the vocal harmonies sounded beautiful, but some songs ran too long and they talked alot between songs, like 5 to 10 minutes. It was really a good show but it also made me think about how much i love Wilco and how awesome they are live, they don't put a barrier between themselves and the audience (which seemd to happen here), they invite you in. Well, thats just what i thought. See You all there Oct. 14th!!

Yeah, overall i would say it was a neat show, kind of weird how they had the guy come out at the begining to set down "guidelines", the vocal harmonies sounded beautiful, but some songs ran too long and they talked alot between songs, like 5 to 10 minutes. It was really a good show but it also made me think about how much i love Wilco and how awesome they are live, they don't put a barrier between themselves and the audience (which seemd to happen here), they invite you in. Well, thats just what i thought. See You all there Oct. 14th!!

I do agree with the guidelines being a little weird, but in this case maybe they did help, I'm glad that's not normal at every show though.

I definitely know what you mean though, I think Wilco is a great concert experience. Can't wait for the 14th too :thumbup Pretty good month for concerts.

Wow. I really understand what you mean. The show I saw in Northampton had no "guidelines" but as we were leaving the show I said to my friend that that was a really good show, RA is a great songwriter but it felt like something was missing. I believe it was the Wilco "magic". B)

I'm pretty bummed that he canceled his Tulsa show for an opportunity he "could not pass up," whatever the hell that means.

Austin City Limits filming....so a little bird told me, then just like that another bigger bird came by and knocked out said first bird and whispered

Saturday Night Live.

Time Will Tell.

Leaving for RA & Cards St. Louis show in a few. Good Times

I read somewhere that they've got studio time that evening for recording a cover of "Summer of '69" for a Bryan Adams tribute album.

oh lololololololololololol :worship

YOU ARE SO FUNNY MAN! HAVE YOU EVER CONSIDURED TRYING IN STAND-UP COMEDY????

i thought this was the most meandering, bloated wankfest that i've been to in many a moon. that bob weir stuff has worn off on ryan. to his detriment. blecch. the 2-3 minute chats between songs was cute for a nanosecond, but the guy needs to deliver. and the audience was so fucking polite too! ha ha, ryan, ha ha, you quit smoking. you're a nutty guy. boring! i stayed thinking he'd redeem himself. nope. sucked. granted it was almost 3 hrs, but i'd have taken half of that for a better, focused, energetic set without the stupid banter and spacejams. YAWN.

i'm still a little bit miffed...

:dancing

i thought this was the most meandering, bloated wankfest that i've been to in many a moon. that bob weir stuff has worn off on ryan. to his detriment. blecch. the 2-3 minute chats between songs was cute for a nanosecond, but the guy needs to deliver. and the audience was so fucking polite too! ha ha, ryan, ha ha, you quit smoking. you're a nutty guy. boring! i stayed thinking he'd redeem himself. nope. sucked. granted it was almost 3 hrs, but i'd have taken half of that for a better, focused, energetic set without the stupid banter and spacejams. YAWN.

i'm still a little bit miffed...

:dancing

So, did you like it or not?