Why Doesn't Anyone Listen to the Kinks?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a huge Kinks fan. My introduction to them was a 10" record my brother had called The Shape of Things to Come. It was an eight-song hits collection, with this tracklist:

SIDE A

You Really Got Me

All Day And All Of The Night

Till The End Of The Day

Set Me Free

SIDE B

Lola

Tired Of Waiting

Sunny Afternoon

Waterloo Sunset

That record hooked me BIG time.

My favorites are Lola vs. Powerman, Village Green, and Something Else, but I love 'em all.

They're my third favorite band. Have been for a long time. Wilco doesn't even make it into the top five.

Haven't seen Darjeeling, but am looking forward to it if it inspired a Kinks-related thread. On the Rushmore director commentary Wes Anderson said he originally wanted to use only Kinks tracks to score the film. He ended up using just that one about how Nothing in the World can Stop Me Worryin' 'Bout that Girl. Great choice for the scene, I believe.

I'll close by positing no one captures middle class English melancholy as well as Ray Davies does.

The Live LP from '80 is a pretty fine live record. The version of Superman on that record is great for crankin' up the speakers. And Low Budget too.

The version of Lola on there is pretty kickass, too. That, and Celluloid Heroes, were staples of FM rock formatting in CT back in the 70s & 80s.

Great band, always feel underrated, been on roar with them lately, that's all I'm saying

A couple of reasons:

The missed boat syndrome. These guys were on par with the Rolling Stones up until the prohibition against their touring the US from 1965 to 1969. (The American Federation of Musicians effectively blacklisted they by refusing to issue permits for the Kinks to perfrom in America in 1965).

And once they got 'black listed', Ray Davies is/was TOO intelligent and TOO British to appeal the the sheeple of America. Without a constant presence on the American scene...

I place the Kinks firmly in the Top Three Bands of the first British Invasion (with The Beatles and The Rolling Stones).

With little better luck and better attention to American Labor Laws (and less rowdy behavior) ,Ray Davies would be more renowned in America that Pete Townsend. I know he is in certain circles...but it is almost criminal that most Americans (of a certain age) only know the Kinks from 1980's Come Dancing, the use of Picture Book in a HP ad and Van Halen's cover of You Really Got Me.

Ray Davies is/was TOO intelligent and TOO British to appeal the the sheeple of America.

I hear this argument about The Jam all the time too.

I'm pretty much a middle class, mainstream, averagely dumb American guy and I like the Kinks and the Jam. A lot.

I hear this argument about The Jam all the time too.

I'm pretty much a middle class, mainstream, averagely dumb American guy and I like the Kinks and the Jam. A lot.

By the simple statement above you prove that you are not as you described yourself.

A couple of reasons:

The missed boat syndrome. These guys were on par with the Rolling Stones up until the prohibition against their touring the US from 1965 to 1969. (The American Federation of Musicians effectively blacklisted they by refusing to issue permits for the Kinks to perfrom in America in 1965).

And once they got 'black listed', Ray Davies is/was TOO intelligent and TOO British to appeal the the sheeple of America. Without a constant presence on the American scene...

Being English, I've always viewed that ban as a really good thing for their music (not that I grew up during it or anything), but you can certainly see how they quickly forgot about trying to appeal to a wide audience and just made great music. Maybe without that ban this would not have happened. I know that Ray used to sit by himself in his flat at home whilst everyone else was out partying, and wrote these songs, so if he was touring America he'd have had a hard time doing that.

And just how many Bands have ever written a catchy pop song about a transvestite? (Lou Reed's songs not withstanding)?

I met her in a club down in old soho

Where you drink champagne and it tastes just like coca-cola

C-o-l-a cola

She walked up to me and she asked me to dance

I asked her her name and in a dark brown voice she said "lola

L-o-l-a lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola"

Well I'm not the worlds most physical guy

But when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine

Oh my lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola

Well Im not dumb but I can't understand

Why she walked like a woman and talked like a man

Oh my lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola

Well we drank champagne and danced all night

Under electric candlelight

She picked me up and sat me on her knee

And said "dear boy wont you come home with me?"

Well I'm not the worlds most passionate guy

But when I looked in her eyes well I almost fell for my lola

Lo-lo-lo-lo lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola

Lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola

I pushed her away

I walked to the door

I fell to the floor

I got down on my knees

Then I looked at her and she at me

Well that's the way that I want it to stay

And I always want it to be that way for my lola

Lo-lo-lo-lo lola

Girls will be boys and boys will be girls

Its a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for lola

Lo-lo-lo-lo lola

Well I left home just a week before

And I'd never ever kissed a woman before

But lola smiled and took me by the hand

And said "dear boy Im gonna make you a man"

Well I'm not the worlds most masculine man

But I know what I am and Im glad I'm a man

And so is lola

Lo-lo-lo-lo lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola

Lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola

always Muswell Hillbillies (One of my fav albums of all time)
While enough people are familiar with the Kinks and their hits, this is a sadly overlooked, under appreciated album.
you can also add "Out of the Wardrobe" from their Misfits album. I'm starting to see a theme here.
Dude Looks Like a Lady? Okay not really catchy. Or good. :monkey

Ray Davies may be, pound-for-pound, a better songwriter than either Lennon or McCartney.

Okay, I'm no whimp. He is.

I saw yo la tengo this past weekend as part of the Freewheelin Yo La Tengo tour. It's sort of set up as a Storytellers type gig where they talk and play. Anyway, they were asked who their biggest musical influences were and Ira Kaplan without missing a beat said that Ray Davies and the Kinks were the biggest musical influence in his life. Then they played This Man He Weeps Tonight. A cool moment for sure.

Nothing beats the kinks. Or going to see a band that you love tipping their cap to another band you love.

I'd bring Arthur with me if I could only take 5 albums to a desert island.

Lola got played too often on the radio for too many years.

Not on any radio stations I ever listened to.

Besides, Lola Vs. Powerman is just too good of an album to let something like one overplayed song ruin it.

Saw Ray Davies play at a free concert in Detroit the summer of '06.

I had never seen him and was puuumped when he trotted onto the stage all cheesy and British. It was perfect. The show was loud and glammy.

Love the Kinks!!

My theory is that the Kinks were too intelligent to be widely successful.

The difference between them and other legendary bands, is that the Kinks don't leave much stuff gross enough to please the least idiot on Earth.

mmmh, am I sounding a bit arrogant here? :banana