Why Doesn't Anyone Listen to the Kinks?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not on any radio stations I ever listened to.
Both XRT and most of the classic rock stations here in Chicago have played the living shit out of it for the last 30 or more years. It was a big hit single for the Kinks from day one too. I like the Kinks, but this one song has been played out as far as I am concerned. I mean it is sort of a cute song and all, but after awhile it has grown old for me personally.

LouieB

:lol

I'm gonna prank call your house singing the chorus
:lol :lol

Want the number?? If you sing I will listen (at least for awhile...) Lola is an okay song, just kinda tired of it. Luckily there are plenty of other songs in their catalogue.....

LouieB

FUG YEAH! love the kinks at all there various stages

Standing in the middle of nowhere

Wondering how to begin

Lost between tomorrow and yesterday

Between now and then

And now we're back where we started

Here we go round again

Day after day I get up and I say

I better do it again

Where are all the people going

Round and round till we reach the end

One day leading to another

Get up go out do it again

Then it's back where you started

Here we go round again

Back where you started

Come on do it again

And you think today is going to be better

Change the world and do it again

Give it all up and start all over

You say you will but you don't know when

Then it's back where you started

Here we go round again

Day after day I get up and I say

Come on better do it again

The days go by and you wish you were a different guy

Different friends and a new set of clothes

You make alterations and [a fact in you knows]

A new house a new car a new job a new nose

But it's superficial and it's only skin deep

Cause the voices in your head keep shouting in your sleep

Get back, get back

Back where you started, here we go round again

Back where you started, come on do it again

Back where you started, here we go round again

Day after day I get up and I say, do it agaIIIIIIINNNNNN

Do it again

Day after day I get up and I say, do it again

• 2 years later...

Did anyone catch the NPR story about Ray Davies doing his songs in front of a choir? I thought it was interesting that Ray indicated that folks in the USA pronounce his name incorrectly. I have certainly always pronounced it Day-veez, but apparently it is really pronounced Davis, with a slight z sound at the end, like day-vez.

LouieB

• 1 month later...

Kinks with a twist: Davies records tunes with Springsteen and Jon Bon Jovi

Ray Davies is in the process of putting together an album of duets that revisits Kinks classics with notable guests. Very notable.

Bruce Springsteen and Jon Bon Jovi joined Davies in the studio to record two separate tracks last month.

Davies, who launches an acoustic tour at the Borgata in Atlantic City on Friday, hopes to have the collection completed by the end of the year.

The Boss spent three hours jamming with Davies, adding some Jersey grit to the 1981 pop anthem "Better Things." The two met at one of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame benefits last fall and discussed the possibility of teaming up for a tune.

The other Muswell-meets-Monmouth duet features Bon Jovi on the ballad "Celluloid Heroes." Other artists reshaping greats from the Kinks include the Killers, Lucinda Williams and, possibly, Metallica.

For all of the star power on the project, there’s still one person who fans really want to see paired with the 65-year-old singer-songwriter.

Guitarist and sibling Dave Davies has kept his distance since the Kinks split up in 1996. He suffered a stroke six years ago, and the crisis actually enabled the brothers to make peace with each other.

A reunion could be on the horizon, Ray Davies says, all depending on his brother’s health. There’s also a movie in the works, a biopic from director Julien Temple. And Davies is penning songs for a solo album.

Last year, Davies toured to promote "The Kinks Choral Collection," taking the stage with choirs to epic effect.

This time around, he’s looking forward to a stripped-down presentation, delving deep into the vault and playing more recent solo material unplugged. He’ll be backed by Irish guitarist Bill Shanley.

We called Ray Davies in Britain for a quick chat.

Q. What made you decide to go the acoustic route on this tour?

A. I wanted to get back in touch with my songs. The shows have a completely different feel to them, and it allows me to play certain songs that I could not do with the choir.

Q. Like?

A. Kinks classics that not many people know. I’ll touch on songs that are going to be a surprise. Some songs we just throw them in on the night because Bill and I have a really good rapport.

Q. Are you also writing another solo album?

A. A new album is on the way. I haven’t had many opportunities in the last year and a half to record new songs, so next year I’ll be doing more of that.

Q. I was wondering if you were writing on the road, maybe you encountered some interesting Jersey characters to write songs about?

A. There were a few Jersey people. I like New Jersey.

Q. We can tell.

A. I’m doing a collaborations album, and I’ve already recorded a track with Jon Bon Jovi and he’s from Jersey.

Q. Indeed. What about our other big Jersey icon, Bruce Springsteen?

A. Yeah, I’ve done a track with him too.

Q. When did you go into the studio with them?

A. In early January, I came to New York and did it.

Q. Was it a fast process?

A. Bruce took about two or three hours and Jon about the same, but they were well-prepped and I was very impressed. I’m thrilled to have done the tracks with those two guys.

Q. The question on a lot of people’s minds is the status of a possible Kinks reunion.

A. Mick Avory and I are going through lots of tapes that we recorded with Dave, and we’re sifting through the archives. We’ll see if he wants to get involved again. It’s in the works. It’s really up to Dave.

Q. How is his health?

A. His health is okay.

Q. Is this something where this health issue brought you closer together?

A. Oh yeah. He came and stayed with me, and I loved having him in my house. He’s my little brother. He can be annoying.

Q. What does he do that’s annoying?

A. He’s just my little brother.

See that's what I love about this forum. I've never really listened to much of the Kinks. I see this thread and I think "I've been wanting to grab some new tunes. I'll grab Village Green"..... It's excellent!! Happy, upbeat, kind of trippy, just what I need when I'm stuck at work on a Sunday. :dancing

See that's what I love about this forum. I've never really listened to much of the Kinks. I see this thread and I think "I've been wanting to grab some new tunes. I'll grab Village Green"..... It's excellent!! Happy, upbeat, kind of trippy, just what I need when I'm stuck at work on a Sunday. :dancing

definitely get _Arthur_ and _Something Else_, and also _Lola_ and _Muswell Hillbillies_. that era of the Kinks is unassailable!

Thanks VCers for the recommendations. I have been started to fill this gap in my knowledge of the history of rock and roll and will continue to do so in the coming days, as I'm enjoying every minute of it. Thgough some of it is over 40 yrs old, it still sounds fresh (with the occasional obvious exceptions- but there are only a handful of these).

I may have mentioned this here before, but I'm going to see Ray Davies in a week and a half. He's playing an "acoustic duo" show with Bill Shanley. I'd prefer a full-band show (or better yet, a Kinks show), but I think this is the first time I've had a chance to see him (honestly don't remember him playing anywhere near me, ever), and I figured I couldn't miss it.

Anyone seen him on this current tour? He's played a couple of NY/NJ dates so far.

definitely get _Arthur_ and _Something Else_, and also _Lola_ and _Muswell Hillbillies_. that era of the Kinks is unassailable!

Add Face to Face to that list, and you're pretty well covered.

In my opinion, it's a better album than Something Else or Muswell Hillbillies.