Why Doesn't Anyone Listen to the Kinks?

Thanks VCers for the recommendations. I have been started to fill this gap in my knowledge of the history of rock and roll and will continue to do so in the coming days, as I'm enjoying every minute of it. Thgough some of it is over 40 yrs old, it still sounds fresh (with the occasional obvious exceptions- but there are only a handful of these).

Yep, the Something Else through Lola run blows me away. Some add Muswell Hillbillies to the end of that run (and Face to Face to the beginning), but not me. (Not that they aren't great in their own right, just that they aren't on the same level that I sometimes refer to as holy shit).

I may have mentioned this here before, but I'm going to see Ray Davies in a week and a half. He's playing an "acoustic duo" show with Bill Shanley. I'd prefer a full-band show (or better yet, a Kinks show), but I think this is the first time I've had a chance to see him (honestly don't remember him playing anywhere near me, ever), and I figured I couldn't miss it.

Anyone seen him on this current tour? He's played a couple of NY/NJ dates so far.

I havent' seen him on this current tour. I saw him on the last tour with the choir and it was pretty painful. I didnt realize he played acoustic duo shows around here, but I would've gone if I did. You are in for a treat. Strip away all the bullshit, and if nothing else, these are just timeless songs. Enjoy! Where's he playing? The Ark?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish it was The Ark. It's the Michigan Theater, which is a pretty sizable room.

There's an opening band called The 88s. Checked out some of their stuff online ... they sound respectable.

I may have mentioned this here before, but I'm going to see Ray Davies in a week and a half. He's playing an "acoustic duo" show with Bill Shanley. I'd prefer a full-band show (or better yet, a Kinks show), but I think this is the first time I've had a chance to see him (honestly don't remember him playing anywhere near me, ever), and I figured I couldn't miss it.

Anyone seen him on this current tour? He's played a couple of NY/NJ dates so far.

i saw him last November where he played a bunch of songs w/ Bill, then had a band for the 2nd part of the show.

http://forums.viachicago.org/topic/42309-ray-davies-berklee-boston-november-17-2009/page__view__findpost__p__1383523__hl__davies__fromsearch__1

I finally found a vinyl copy of Muswell Hillbilles. I had heard this years ago I suppose, but I forgot how good this one is (better than Village Green). Arthur may still be my favorite howver.

LouieB

I finally found a vinyl copy of Muswell Hillbilles. I had heard this years ago I suppose, but I forgot how good this one is (better than Village Green). Arthur may still be my favorite howver.

LouieB

Yea, it's more rocking.

Same with Give The People What They Want.

can't believe it's been 25 years since i saw them... what a great show they put on...

Around The Dial

State Of Confusion

The Hard Way

Don't Forget To Dance

Rawhide > Lola tease > Come Dancing

Do It Again

Living On A Thin Line

Guilty

Word Of Mouth

Missing Persons

Oklahoma Blues Improv > Lola

Superman tease > All Day And All Night

I Gotta Move

(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman

You Really Got Me

The friend of mine from back in the day who taught be about The Kinks said the only good part about Come Dancing was Dave's brief guitar solo. I'd say I agree with that.

I think Word of Mouth was the last Kinks album I ever bought (at the time of release).

i saw him last November where he played a bunch of songs w/ Bill, then had a band for the 2nd part of the show.

http://forums.viachicago.org/topic/42309-ray-davies-berklee-boston-november-17-2009/page__view__findpost__p__1383523__hl__davies__fromsearch__1

Just found out that after the acoustic duo bit at Thursday's show, he's supposedly bringing the opening band back out to back him on full-band versions of Kinks songs.

This is excellent news.

Played Muswell Hilbillies Lots as a teen in late 70s

wiki info..

The album is a wide-ranging collection of Ray Davies compositions which focus on the frustrations and stresses of modern life

My Fave .. 20th Century Man ..

Saw Ray Davies in the same place where Wilco is soon to play here in Boston 3 years ago See him if you get the chance ...

Reasonable price still sounds fine and the concert is well paced...by the end loads of fun***

• 3 months later...

That's too bad about Pete. He seems like a really cool guy, based on that blog.

The Kinks did some great albums after Pete left the band, but my favorite Kinks era will probably always be the run of albums he plays on.

I got into '60s music in the '80s as a young teen by listening to my mom's copy of Kinks Size and Meet the Beatles. Kinks Size isn't one of my favorite Kinks albums, but it cements the Kinks permanently as one of the most important bands in my life.

• 3 weeks later...

Listening to this right now:

51G1yW0jysL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And, you know, every time I listen to these guys I hear something new in their songs:

a chord change that I didn't hear before

a lyric

a harmony

Kerry said it. And, I just wanted to say it, while I was listening.

Ray Davies is as good as (maybe better than) Dylan. And Dave is an incredibly underrated songwriter, himself.

It's a crime that I don't own more of their discography.

Some of those concept albums were reallly under-appreciated. I played the crap out of Schoolboys and Soap Opera.

A friend of mine use to play the Schoolboys album (along with the Jethro Tull album Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die) a lot back in the early 1980s.

Listening to this right now:

51G1yW0jysL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And, you know, every time I listen to these guys I hear something new in their songs:

a chord change that I didn't hear before

a lyric

a harmony

Kerry said it. And, I just wanted to say it, while I was listening.

Ray Davies is as good as (maybe better than) Dylan. And Dave is an incredibly underrated songwriter, himself.

It's a crime that I don't own more of their discography.

I don't think a Kinks/Dylan comparison makes sense.

But ask me who's a better band, the Kinks or the Beatles, and I'd say the Kinks without a second though.

ask me who's a better band, the Kinks or the Beatles, and I'd say the Kinks without a second though.

for me, the kinks' catalogue has held up far better than the Beatles' catalogue

i don't think i've put on a beatles record in 20 years but i listen to the kinks constantly

more enduring for me

and schoolboys in disgrace is a really really underrated record. i've always loved it

I don't think a Kinks/Dylan comparison makes sense.

But ask me who's a better band, the Kinks or the Beatles, and I'd say the Kinks without a second though.

Wasn't a Kinks/Dylan comparison; it was a Davies/Dylan comparison. Strictly at a pure songwriting level.

• 4 weeks later...

51FSbSut8mL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sounds interesting:

In this documentary, Dave Davies reveals himself to be not only the driving energy behind The Kinks and a notable musical innovator, but also a deeply spiritual individual who spent his life delving into the deeper mysteries of life. This is Dave’s own remarkable story of inner change and spiritual insight, but told with his inimitable charm and a sense of fun and good humor.

Who's not listening, not me....

Thanks for the link to Glastonbury - that was amazing, although every time I see footage from that festival, I'm amazed by how big it is, and how hard it must be to get close enough to see anything. My only trip to Glastonbury was a much quieter event.

I've seen Ray perform 3 times in recent years. If you are a fan, don't miss him. You'll get your money's worth, and then some.