10/13/07 Crossroads KC, MO

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Miss Chris -- I listened to the torrent today (excellent recording for an AUD!) and listened for the "tiny dancer" lines but missed them. When were they??
(Off mic Jeff sang a sweet couple bars of Tiny Dancer, though.)

;)

He was toward the back of the stage leaning down and facing Pat and John when he did it. It seemed more for their ears than ours (or his own amusement). I would be surprised if it was audible on any of the recordings, and unless one was looking at the stage from that side, probably wouldn't have even noticed it.

Sometimes, sugar, you just have to be there. And I wished you were. :cheekkiss

Bit late to the party, but just wanted to add that I thought this turned into a really great show. The Crossroads is not without some problems, but I think it has a lot of potential to be a great outdoor venue for KC. In any case, I'd consider giving it another shot for a favorite artist...especially Wilco. :yes

Maybe it was the perfect weather after all the rain and wind, or maybe it was the perfect concert companions :wub, the chance to meet some other great VCers :cheekkiss (still bummed I missed a few of you though!), and the absolutely great show the guys put on...it just all came together to make a truly memorable experience. :)

Have a few photos, courtesy of atomicblooz (my better half). (He wasn't thrilled with how they turned out, think the lighting/no flash made it hard to get some crisp shots, but I really liked 'em, so convinced him to let me share! LOL)

Soundcheck through the fence :) :

DSC01859.jpg

Andrew Bird

DSC01870.jpg

DSC01881.jpg

More:

DSC01922.jpg

DSC01914.jpg

DSC01918-1.jpg

DSC01935.jpg

(Here's one for a certain drummerette! )

cropDSC019401.jpg

Fireworks during Spiders:

DSC01939.jpg

And here's the poster (actually the brown part is really black FYI):

DSC01942.jpg

(oceanman, it was so great meeting you and your sweetie...tell oceangirl to stop by soon...missed you guys after the show. :hmm)

eta: dellilo, welcome, and let me know if you need any of these...might be able to get a better shot of the poster as well if you're interested.

I just don't like KC. It think it's stupidly laid out and has little to no personality. I've been there for probably six shows (including another Wilco show) and have never had a good time in the city (though the Wilco show was my first, so it was great).

I think the main reason I didn't have as much of a killer time at this show was just the fact that the set was almost exactly (with a few great exceptions) the same as the set they played in Columbia, MO on September 19. I was floored by that set (and the venue and the crowd and the band's high spirits) and had been listening to the recording for weeks-- I was just expecting a little more variety.

The band played amazingly and I never said I didn't have a great time. I only said that the show was my least favorite Wilco show I've attended. That's like saying it's my least favorite briefcase full of unmarked, non-consecutive, hundred dollar bills.

Kansas City just rubs me the wrong way.

Oooh, grumpy! How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm once they've seen Columbia, MO?!

QUOTE(H to the ickle @ Oct 14 2007, 04:55 PM)

It also doesn't help that I think KC is a shithole

Insulting the place that many Wilco fans on this board have chosen to live isn't a very nice thing to do nor is it a way to be taken seriously or to make friends.

QUOTE(H to the ickle @ Oct 14 2007, 08:54 PM)

...I was out of that God-forsaken city 15 minutes after Spiders was done.

So, I guess you didn't make any new friends while you were here for the 6th time.

QUOTE(H to the ickle @ Oct 15 2007, 09:34 PM)

I just don't like KC. It think it's stupidly laid out and has little to no personality. I've been there for probably six shows (including another Wilco show) and have never had a good time in the city (though the Wilco show was my first, so it was great).

You've been here for 6 shows and NEVER had a good time?...really? Obviously you weren't shown around town by someone who actually lives here. I mean you wouldn't have friends who live in a "shithole" now would you? Say what you will about urban sprawl, but there are many sights that are worth seeing in the K.C. Metro area. Even places that would be considered "scenic" in any part of the country.

I think the main reason I didn't have as much of a killer time at this show was just the fact that the set was almost exactly (with a few great exceptions) the same as the set they played in Columbia, MO on September 19. I was floored by that set (and the venue and the crowd and the band's high spirits) and had been listening to the recording for weeks-- I was just expecting a little more variety.

I'm sorry the band didn't live up to your high standards regarding their set list. You seem to be in the minority in that opinion. I'm sorry you made the trip all the way here to have nearly the same great set played yet again. I'm mean...what a waste of time.

The band played amazingly and I never said I didn't have a great time. I only said that the show was my least favorite Wilco show I've attended. That's like saying it's my least favorite briefcase full of unmarked, non-consecutive, hundred dollar bills.

:brow

Kansas City just rubs me the wrong way.

Seriously, I'm really sorry you feel that way. Maybe the seventh time is a charm?

I have friends in KC and they don't like it much either. Maybe the reason I haven't seen the best side of the city is I'm only ever around for a few hours on either side of the show I've seen.

On the positive side, the Uptown Theater is one of my favorite small-to-medium sized venues I've ever been to.

I wasn't trying to insult anyone, just the city.

ok. what are these sights worth seeing? i've been here for 2+ years and I'd like to know. seriously. i'm not being a smart ass.

here's a few:

The Plaza

Liberty Memorial/National WW1 Museum

Harry S. Truman Presidential Library (Independence)

Union Station

Negro Leagues Baseball Museum

Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art

18th and Vine Jazz District/American Jazz Museum

Powell Gardens

Arabia Steamboat Museum

Historic Downtown City Market

Fort Osage

Worlds of Fun

Oceans of Fun

Truman Sports Complex

Sprint Center

College Basketball Experience/Hall of Fame

Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art

Kansas City Museum

Kansas City Zoo/IMAX

Kansas Speedway

Village West Shops

Zona Rosa Shops

American Royal

Regular Art Fests and Heritage Festivals

Starlight Theater

University of Kansas - 30 minutes West.

Westport

Uptown Theater

Not to mention the entertainment district currently under construction next to the Sprint Center

Many nearby lakes and nature trails.

I know there's more I've left out.

ok. what are these sights worth seeing? i've been here for 2+ years and I'd like to know. seriously. i'm not being a smart ass.

Tour of Missouri started there. Way cool. Cyclocross WORLD championships in Dec.

Nelson and Cont Art museum.

Mongolian BBQ on 39th

Gomers liquor!

Bobby Watson playing at the Blue Room

Sprint center is a work of art. Walk up to it and it is crazy. Like a UFO just dropped in the middle ofthe city.

I like the distant vibe of clubs spread out. It prevents the cliche like in some cities.

Blayney's basement.

Thomas Hart Benton house.

Watching Broadway coffee customers snarl at Starbuckers.

Boulevard brewery. Freaking phenomenal refurbish and new German brewing kettles

BBQ everywhere, although I only eat our meat (cafo meat scares me and it should scare you too)

Plaza (sometimes)

Memorial WW exhibit is sposed to be pretty cool? Haven't been yet.

75th st. brewery

Landahl park

Trolly track trail

Unity downtown usually gets some really good speakers

Swimming in Brush Creek (joke, haha)

The Uptown, Copa room

SEEING WILCO AT CROSSROADS!

hey hey-

well i've done/seen pretty much all that except for, of course the sprint center -i was at wilco, but i'm keeping my fingers crossed for a hannah montana ticket :) - and, also of course the bball hall of fame isn't open yet... but, as a HUGE college hoops fan, this will be cool. and, i'm gonna have to call you out on the Zona Rosa call. what shops are there for MEN? i live right by it, and was at Marshall's today. i like marshalls for the most part, and the happy hour at hereford house. but, with all the little girl clothes stores and not much in the way of "good eats"... ain't much going down for the dudes. also, gomer's north staff know be by name. i buy all my kegs there for the kegerator, attend all their sit-down tastings and whatnot. i LOVE going to 75th street brewery, but damn, it's about 30 minutes away... sometimes i'll parlay a trip there with a stop at mcgonigles for some good meat... although the price chopper near me has usda prime strips and ribeyes. i'm 'OK' with uptown, but i've only been once (for wilco) and the fact that they were charging 10 bucks for a 20 oz blvd that was about a quarter foam absolutely KILLED me. what is this new york? ok and with the heritage fests? i don't know if you get the star, but, a gal wrote in with the same complaint i have. i went to the irish fest at crown center a couple years ago... me being irish and all. well, there was not one irish beer there and no irish food. it was coney dogs and coors light. there was, of course, the cute little dancer girls and ppl hawking celtic t-shirts... but, the folks and i were disappointed and went to mortons for steaks. university of kansas can SUCK IT, i'm a hoosier fan. i've got two degrees from there, so pfffft. no jayhawks please. do. not. want. maybe i've been in culture shock here, as i've lived for quite some time in california, in a secluded beach town with more nature than you can handle. it's just that IN MY OPINION, and from MY EXPERIENCES, the two other towns i've lived in the most, which are bloomington, indiana and morro bay, california, are much more up my alley. i would love to meet some "cool" people here tho. i certainly haven't yet.

thanks for the head's up on the stuff guys. i do wanna check out that steamboat thing at city market. also, about the other tip from yesterday bout the brewpub here in parkville (the powerhouse or whatever). don't. get. me. started. do. not. want.

Watching Broadway coffee customers snarl at Starbuckers.

Boulevard brewery. Freaking phenomenal refurbish and new German brewing kettles

:lol two of my very favorite places in KC. i've been among those snarlers, although the fine espresso kept me in a sweet zone. :coffee

where is broadway coffee? i get my coffee at marshalls (blue mountain from jamaica) and grind and french press it at home. rarely go out for it, i feel ripped off. starbucks can bite me. that coffee makes me bend over and go "oh mah tummy hurts". m.christine: was that smiley for my take on the beer at the powerplant?

also, it's nice to see that their are so many wilco fans here in KC. were any of you a little "ticked" when tweedy made that "how dignified is it to come to chicago from KC" comment on kicking tele?

jared' date='Oct 16 2007, 06:14 PM' post='968375'

hey hey-

well i've done/seen pretty much all that except for, of course the sprint center -i was at wilco, but i'm keeping my fingers crossed for a hannah montana ticket :) - and, also of course the bball hall of fame isn't open yet... but, as a HUGE college hoops fan, this will be cool.

It's officially open to the public tomorrow.

and, i'm gonna have to call you out on the Zona Rosa call. what shops are there for MEN? i live right by it, and was at Marshall's today. i like marshalls for the most part, and the happy hour at hereford house. but, with all the little girl clothes stores and not much in the way of "good eats"... ain't much going down for the dudes.

I'll confess, I haven't made it there yet myself. I keep hearing about it though. I'm in Johnson County, KS and we've already got a crapload of shopping/restaurants around here.

ok and with the heritage fests? i don't know if you get the star, but, a gal wrote in with the same complaint i have. i went to the irish fest at crown center a couple years ago... me being irish and all. well, there was not one irish beer there and no irish food. it was coney dogs and coors light. there was, of course, the cute little dancer girls and ppl hawking celtic t-shirts... but, the folks and i were disappointed and went to mortons for steaks.

I'm Irish too and attended the Irish Fest this year. There was plenty of authentic Irish food and Guinness on tap. The previous complaints must have been heard. Lots of authentic Irish Bands as well.

university of kansas can SUCK IT, i'm a hoosier fan. i've got two degrees from there, so pfffft. no jayhawks please. do. not. want.

I completely understand. Though it must kind of suck to be a Hoosier fan right now.

maybe i've been in culture shock here, as i've lived for quite some time in california, in a secluded beach town with more nature than you can handle. it's just that IN MY OPINION, and from MY EXPERIENCES, the two other towns i've lived in the most, which are bloomington, indiana and morro bay, california, are much more up my alley. i would love to meet some "cool" people here tho. i certainly haven't yet.

If I wasn't originally from here and had lived in a beach town. I would probably initially share the same opinion. But if you are in an unfamiliar place for any length of time, it pays to see what's around you. It can help with the boredom.

The smiley was for your entire post. It made me laugh pretty hard, and not in a derisive way, in a tickled way.

(I have never been to Powerplant. There is plenty good beer here in the city.)

The Broadway Cafe (best coffee, worldwide) is in Westport. Broadway, just south of Westport Road. Starbucks is one door north. :lol

Yeah, I'm not much of a University of Kansas fan either.

I am sorry I forgot about Boulevard... It's KC's saving grace IMO.

Yeah, you suck KU. It is fun to hate either KU or MU...just doing my part.

Been to the powerplant once. Their beer is good. The guy knows what he is doing. Can't comment so much on the atmosphere or food as I've only been once and it was mid afternoon on a Monday.

Not much of a fan of Zona Rosa either. It is way far away from where I live and their brewery REALLY SUCKS!

Kind of agree w/ the festival comments. We do have several but are all pretty generic and lack a significant cultural element.

And for you, Columbia person, we ate at the 'stuff your face Mex joint' after Wilco and had fun. Your brewery is good (at least it was when I was there several years ago). Have always liked the Blue Note and have seen tons of shows there. Gotten way laid (is that how you spell it?) at Willie's on the cheap (homey hook ups) and have always had fun there. Oh, got to talk to your old friend, Quin Snyder, after Dylan show at Stubb's during ACL Festival. We offered him a tick to summerfest and he quickly declined.

Re the show: Amazing. My girlfriend and I splurged for the VIP tickets and I have to say that they were worth every penny. There's quite a bit of venom on this site directed at the very idea of a VIP section, which I understand, but I felt like Crossroads did a great job straddling the line between providing the VIP section with value and not completely screwing the GA folks. The VIP section was full and lively and totally into the show. I'm embarrassed to admit that I almost got into a fight with a bunch of VIP meatheads during Andrew Bird because they were shouting about the MU/OU game in voices that were clearly loud enough for Bird to hear over the sound of his own instruments. I shushed them and they sort of gave me some lip back and I got VERY pissed off and said some regrettable things. But they DID shut up, and the rest of the night was incredible.

Anyone who doubts whether Wilco can still rock needs to hear this show. This was a rock show. That second encore was insane. Just insane. Each song more intense and thrilling than the last. Rapturous.

I liked the venue very much, and while Stretch was kind of douchey, his intensity and passion were endearing. My mom told me later that he's a friend of a friend, which gave me some context, and now I feel much differently about him.

I'll never understand why anyone doesn't love KC. I grew up there but haven't lived there in 15 years. It's not perfect, but it's home.