2007 has been a stinker for indie rock

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey now... I would like it noted that I am an English teacher and yet have never pointed out a spelling or grammar error on a message board.

I jusst spoted him cos I was a English majer and Im always making mistakes but I was not in grammar so much for allmy lit classes and creative writing classes that didn't dock me points except for when I wrote essays and they said I had too many run on sentences :monkey

I just want to reiterate that 2007 has been amazing for music.
Absolutely agree, and agree that it trounces 2006.

And sorry if these aren't indie enough, but these are all GREAT albums:

Ryan Adams, Easy Tiger

Modest Mouse, We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank

The National, Baxter

Steve Earle, Washington Square Serenade

Bruce Springsteen, Live From Dublin

The Killers, Sam's Town

and the one that I've been most happily surprised by:

Kanye West, Graduation

I don't think being commercially viable is a crime. The Boss's Live From Dublin is more in line with Guthrie's body of work than anything else to sell over 5k albums in ages. I'm sorry if doom-and-gloom is what the snooty class wants to hear, but IMO there is more good music being made, in more genres, right now than there has been in awhile. I think to some extent it's because the industry is "getting real" about what album sales are going to look like from here on out. I'll get off my high horse, but again I think rumors of good music's death have been greatly exaggerated.

I find it funny that that New Yorker article complains about lack of blues and rythym. popular rap music is absolute trash, and even 90% of the "sophisticated" underground rappers can't break any lyrical motifs of the typical bullshit. Calling Dr. Dre the most important artist since The Beatles defeats his credibility. The Beatles knew their shit and wrote purposely. Dr. Dre samples from all over the place and does nothing but write the same drivel over and over again. Also, Blues music has been done by musicians who don't know anything since the sixties. Not to say that a blues musician isn't talented or knowledgable, but if anything the easiest form of music for any beginner to learn and play is the blues...And because of that, very creative musicians ended up learning very little past blues stylings and relied on tricks and slight alterations.
I'm not sure why being derivative became such a complete slam on musicians. Bob Dylan started off wanting to basically do Guthrie covers, correct?? Weren't the Rolling Stones just a crappy blues coverband? Weren't the Beatles just trying to ride the Rock n' Roll wave and bang chicks out of their league rather than go to work at the factory?

I think most of the great musicians borrowed heavily from their antecedents, and yet were somehow able to be liberated by, and liberate, that tradition.

I just don't get why the ideal musician is an autistic lesbian trucker who hasn't heard any music created since the 16th century, and writes all their songs on the xylophone. There's just this obsession with individualism and uniqueness that goes too far sometimes. For example, someone told me the other day that Lucinda Williams is utter shit because she's just a Rickie Lee Jones ripoff. My point is, couldn't the world use a THOUSAND more Rickie Lee Jones ripoffs?

So long as you're not just straight-up mimicking the source (thinking of how Creed was Pearl Jam lite)... Then I think it's very OK to be inspired by your heroes.

I jusst spoted him cos I was a English majer and Im always making mistakes but I was not in grammar so much for allmy lit classes and creative writing classes that didn't dock me points except for when I wrote essays and they said I had too many run on sentences :monkey

I... must... resist... :lol